Cross Century Cartridges And Converters

miket_nyc

Yesterday I saw what I think is a black Cross Century with a gold nib at a local flea market. (It's the one with the nib that's narrow and flat on top. If that's not the original Century, please correct my error).

I didn't do anything with this pen but look at it, but if it's still there next Sunday I may try writing with it. But the pen comes with one empty (and rather small looking) cartridge and no converter. Are cartridges for this pen still made? I already have a Waterman CF and a Sheaffer Targa with no cartridges available, and I'm not too keen to go down that road again. Also, how much are converters, if they're available? I might want to use the cost to bargain over the price.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• miket_nyc

• jameswatts

• brownargus

Cross cartridges are widely available -- most big box office supply stores in the States carry them. Granted, they don't hold much ink. Converters should be available from cross, as well.

That sounds like it might be the original Century.

If so, it would take the GREEN converter.

Do a Google search, you should find a lot of places selling Cross cartridges and converters.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

That sounds like it might be the original Century.

If so, it would take the GREEN converter.

Mine takes a green converter which are readily available at least in the UK. My pen has a medium nib and it is very smooth. Unfortunately,when I bought mine, 30+ years ago, I could only afford the one with the grey body and cap which is not aesthetically very attractive. Wish I had a black one or one of those with a silver or gold finish. If it is still there I would get it.

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

Mine takes a green converter which are readily available at least in the UK. My pen has a medium nib and it is very smooth. Unfortunately,when I bought mine, 30+ years ago, I could only afford the one with the grey body and cap which is not aesthetically very attractive. Wish I had a black one or one of those with a silver or gold finish. If it is still there I would get it.

You are one step ahead of me.

Back then I could not afford any of the Cross fountain pens.

So, now I am catching up on lost time.

www.SFPenShow.com

I have the matte black original Century fountain pen with a fine gold plated nib. I think I have had it since 1980 or 1981. Still works great. I have read some posts here about the nib working loose in the section. I have not had that happen. When somebody wanted to borrow a fountain pen, this was the one I let them use. It seems to have lasted through that.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I am normally a F nib writer, but the F nib on my Cross Century is REALLY FINE, more like a Parker XF or finer. I had to go UP to a M nib to get a nib that I could use on my notebooks and filler paper.

www.SFPenShow.com

I already have a Waterman CF and a Sheaffer Targa with no cartridges available, and I'm not too keen to go down that road again.

I have a couple of C/Fs and regular International cartridges seem to do just fine.

As I understood it the International fit was designed after Waterman's. Regardless, they seem to work for me.

I wound up buying the pen and had a scare after I brought it home, because the feed kept running out of ink. This is apparently a problem with the original Century and the nib/feed can't be repaired So I flushed it in JB's Perfect Pen Flush, then soaked it overnight, and now it's fine.

This pen is very sleek and modern looking and it writes very well. I'm surprised Cross would discontinue it, then reuse the name "Century" for a series of pens of more old-fashioned styling.