The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mabie Todd Dip Pens

mabie todd dip pens

139 replies to this topic

#121 Toshinden

Toshinden

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2018 - 16:49

i have an idea.

Did you know which vintage nib has the same size and shape modern #6 nib as Bock,jowo,goulet etc...?

If you can not check know because you are not at home.

I hope i will get an answer after you come back home :D

Actually i know the size of bock nib here=http://www.sbrebrown...g-5-and-6-nibs/ but as you said it can have problem with shape of curve to fit the feed...

PS:i dont speak english very well ,hope you understand

Edited by Toshinden, 23 January 2018 - 16:56.

Sponsored Content

#122 Wardok

Wardok

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 22:28

I came across this pen / pencil combination at a market recently. It is beautifully crisp and I could see no sign of plating loss, but nor could we find any sort of hallmark. It is however, marked at being Mabie's Patent (you can make it out in the picture) and says that it is made by MT&Co (I'm afraid I did not take an exact note of what it said) 

fpn_1516742444__mtdip.jpg

You can either slide out a pencil nozzle or a glorious size 3 Edward Todd nib (of which I got the worst picture ever)

fpn_1516742547__mtnib.jpg

Could the nib be original? Have I given enough for somebody to be able to tell me the date.?

The stall holder wanted £150 which seemed a lot but I don't really know. There is a very small crack in the cap bit at the bottom of the barrel - I can see if they still have it next week if anybody is interested.

Edited by Wardok, 23 January 2018 - 22:43.

#123 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:30

It looks like there's the start of a patent date on the holder, possibly "MABIE'S PATENT Oct.3 1854".

See this Google-cached paged for a similar holder: https://webcache.goo...lient=firefox-b

Edward Todd left Mabie Todd to make pens under his own name in 1868. The nib could indeed be original to the holder.

I can't really make out the condition of the nib, but the holder looks very fine.

Edited by Goudy, 24 January 2018 - 03:32.

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#124 Toshinden

Toshinden

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2018 - 14:12

@Goudy i got an Dip nib J.C Aikin #6.

It's so thin!even if i push the nib on the paper i feel few pressure on the nib as if i write with a pen brush.

i dont know if its a good idea to use it as daily use and put it in a custom body.

what is you personnal pen for daily use?

Edited by Toshinden, 24 January 2018 - 15:58.

#125 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2018 - 16:58

I did post a list of my top pens (which actually includes a J C Aikin nib in a fountain pen body) in this thread: http://www.fountainp...-5#entry3674307

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#126 Toshinden

Toshinden

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:10

How do you feel using this custom fountain pen with the JC aikin?I would like to know your personnal point of view

#127 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:49

The stall holder wanted £150 which seemed a lot but I don't really know. There is a very small crack in the cap bit at the bottom of the barrel - I can see if they still have it next week if anybody is interested.

Wardok, It is quite possible (even probable) that this combo is solid gold. I have found quite a few from that period that were unmarked, but were definitely solid gold (usually 14K or 18K, but sometimes 10K). 

Is the crack you mention in the small cap with the ring? Those caps are often engraved to match the barrel, but this one looks like it is smooth. Anyway, it looks like a nice piece!

#128 Toshinden

Toshinden

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2018 - 19:50

*up*

#129 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:50

Since my collecting focus has been ringtop pens, I have have a fairly strict upper limit on nib size. The Doric is the biggest pen I have and it can only accommodate a #4 nib. On the other hand I have a couple of pens that could probably take a #1. The real trick is finding a host pen with a long enough cap: those superb flexy nibs are longer than the ones made for fountain pens.

I think I should see a therapist.

#130 Nail-Bender

Nail-Bender

"Allo, daffy English kniggets"

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:36

...They both work fine without vent holes, by the way:

I've never been a fan of vent holes on flex nibs.

I think they break the capillary action of the ink channel & dump ink onto the forward part of the feed.

They do distribute stress and that can be important in a gold nib.

#131 Toshinden

Toshinden

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 15:55

I thought it will break the middle of the nib,where there is supposed to have a vent hole.As you said it distribut stress and this is good no? if the stress is not distributed and focus on some point ,it will be more "weak" on some point

#132 Nail-Bender

Nail-Bender

"Allo, daffy English kniggets"

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 19:08

I thought it will break the middle of the nib,where there is supposed to have a vent hole.As you said it distribut stress and this is good no? if the stress is not distributed and focus on some point ,it will be more "weak" on some point

Yes,

It is good for stress but bad for ink flow (in my opinion)

I would use a gold nib on a fountain pen without a hole and observe it carefully for cracks.

If a crack started, I would make the smallest hole necessary to fix the crack and keep it from happening again.

#133 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:25

Several of my favourite dip nibs have an incipient crack at the base of the slit. (They were like that when I got them!) I don't find it to be a problem. I just treat them carefully, and examine them with a loupe occasionally to make sure it's not getting worse.

On the other hand, I have seen some really bad examples of abused vintage dip nibs. I don't think even a "vent hole" would have protected this Mabie Todd, being marketed as a wet noodle precisely because it flexes through the huge split:

o9jpyhc.jpg

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#134 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 00:42

BTW, the #3 nib size is roughly equivalent to a #2 fountain pen nib, only they tend to be longer. That’s why cap length is important.

#135 chunya

chunya

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:33

The Edward Todd pen that I mentioned in the 'Gold Swans' thread finally arrived from the Auction House and I thought it would be nice to resurrect this great thread started by Goudy.

I have no idea as yet whether it is a 'solid' gold pen (but looking at some of the deep scratches I have a feeling that it might be), I've spent the time so far playing and trying to write with it. But it is a beautiful pen.

All closed it measures roughly 9.5 cm, so not tiny compared to some others I've seen.... and what would you call that pattern...

fpn_1536654093__dsc09685.jpg

The pencil extends smoothly with a twist of the barrel whilst holding the domed end, and it still has some lead ...

fpn_1536654268__dsc09687.jpg

The dip pen pulls out from the other end ...

fpn_1536654334__dsc09688.jpg

Still has its nice, massive, original Edward Todd  New York nib, and the nib holder is hollow...

fpn_1536654469__dsc09689.jpg

Being hollow it slides neatly over the post pushing into the barrel, and so you have a nice length pen to hold, a good 15cm....

fpn_1536654637__dsc09691.jpg

What it doesn't have, which I would have expected to see, is a Patent, nevertheless, I think that it was well worth the wait.

Edited by chunya, 11 September 2018 - 08:42.

#136 SomersetSwan

SomersetSwan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:28

Fantastic looking pen, thank you for sharing it.

#137 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 19:04

The only dip nib I've seen with a breather hole is this Leroy Fairchild star nib, which lives in a Frankenpen in my current rotation.

fpn_1508821573__leroy_fairchild_star.jpg

#138 chunya

chunya

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:48

The Edward Todd pen that I mentioned in the 'Gold Swans' thread finally arrived from the Auction House and I thought it would be nice to resurrect this great thread started by Goudy.

I have no idea as yet whether it is a 'solid' gold pen (but looking at some of the deep scratches I have a feeling that it might be), I've spent the time so far playing and trying to write with it. But it is a beautiful pen.

All closed it measures roughly 9.5 cm, so not tiny compared to some others I've seen.... and what would you call that pattern...

fpn_1536654093__dsc09685.jpg

The pencil extends smoothly with a twist of the barrel whilst holding the domed end, and it still has some lead ...

fpn_1536654268__dsc09687.jpg

The dip pen pulls out from the other end ...

fpn_1536654334__dsc09688.jpg

Still has its nice, massive, original Edward Todd  New York nib, and the nib holder is hollow...

fpn_1536654469__dsc09689.jpg

Being hollow it slides neatly over the post pushing into the barrel, and so you have a nice length pen to hold, a good 15cm....

fpn_1536654637__dsc09691.jpg

What it doesn't have, which I would have expected to see, is a Patent, nevertheless, I think that it was well worth the wait.

Well I'm glad to say that the pen does test for being between 12 - 14 carat gold, which is great news.

On the down side I've been trying to write with it and it certainly isn't as easy as you'd think. I've looked at a couple of posts and picked up some advice, and hopefully I will improve. I can't blame the nib as the tip is perfect.

I've also been ploughing through any Edward Todd patents I can find to see if there's anything similar, but no joy as yet. Anyone like to guess as to when it was made?

#139 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2018 - 13:13

1868 is when Edward Todd started putting his name on pens.

If the whole thing is solid gold, rather than the usual gold-filled, that is indeed an impressive (and valuable) pen.

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#140 chunya

chunya

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2018 - 14:41

1868 is when Edward Todd started putting his name on pens.

If the whole thing is solid gold, rather than the usual gold-filled, that is indeed an impressive (and valuable) pen.

Thanks Goudy .... but very odd as almost every other Edward Todd pen I can find on Google seems to have a patent date.

I  cant be 100% certain that it is solid gold. There are some deep scratches towards the terminals where it looks like it's been scored in the past to test for gold. I've made them a little deeper, no sign of base metal (which I would have expected for that depth, and using the electronic tester comes up with either 12 or 14..... but I'm fairly hopeful.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd, dip pens

Sponsored Content

|