The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mabie Todd Dip Pens

mabie todd dip pens

105 replies to this topic

#101 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 19:39

I've been collecting Victorian dip pens and propelling pencils for twenty years or so.

Here are a few I found recently--the Mabie Todd is at the top.

The large combination in the middle is a particularly interesting find. I liked the combo and admired the engraving when I first picked it up, and I could tell that it was solid gold. What I didn't notice until later was the inscription.

It reads: "Presented to Miss Cooper, by the Officers, Col. Bakers Regt. July 2, 1861"

Edward Dickinson Baker was a US Senator and Civil War Colonel who died in battle shortly after the date on this combo, on October 21, 1861. He was a close friend of Lincoln; Lincoln even named one of his sons after Baker.

The nib is marked "G.W. Simmons and Brother, PHILA." The company made presentation swords and other items for the military.

I'm working on identifying Miss Cooper and her connection to the regiment.

Attached Images

• bv17 dips pcls.jpg
  • combo baker's regt.jpg

Sponsored Content

#102 Bordeaux146

Bordeaux146

'Allo, daffy English kniggets

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 20:09

I've been collecting Victorian dip pens and propelling pencils for twenty years or so.

That is a fantastic collection.

Thanks for posting that picture.

Those things are works of art.

#103 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 20:31

Thanks Bordeaux,

They are the results of some serious hunting a month or two back and will fit nicely into the larger collection.

#104 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:02

I got my hands on a #4 nib a few months back, and to my great pleasure discovered that it fit beautifully into a black Doric ringtop. Mr. Minuskin put them together for me.
It’s a wonderful thing to write with - flex beyond the wildest dreams of any fountain pen!

#105 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 14:22

Anyone here familiar with the combo with the animal/figural end piece (third up from bottom)?

It is marked Rauch Pat. Jany 1852. I'm familiar with Rauch history and pens, but am curious about the end piece.

Thanks

#106 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 23:48

Here are a few I found recently--the Mabie Todd is at the top.

The large combination in the middle is a particularly interesting find. I liked the combo and admired the engraving when I first picked it up, and I could tell that it was solid gold. What I didn't notice until later was the inscription.

It reads: "Presented to Miss Cooper, by the Officers, Col. Bakers Regt. July 2, 1861"

Edward Dickinson Baker was a US Senator and Civil War Colonel who died in battle shortly after the date on this combo, on October 21, 1861. He was a close friend of Lincoln; Lincoln even named one of his sons after Baker.

The nib is marked "G.W. Simmons and Brother, PHILA." The company made presentation swords and other items for the military.

I'm working on identifying Miss Cooper and her connection to the regiment.

the most fascinating post in i don't know when.. please do share whatever additional history you discover.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd, dip pens

Sponsored Content

|