New Esterbrook Pen - The Esterbrook Nostalgia

alaskazimm

I was poking around on Fahrney's Pens and came across this:

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/Item--i-30675S

I can't pull a picture but they look like a copy (homage?) of the Dollar Pens. I haven't heard anything else about these new attempts from Esterbrook. It looks like they are getting closer to their name sake, but $80? Not even a lever fill and no mention of changeable nibs. I might be curious if they come down to the $20 - $25 range, but no way for $80.

What do you think - too little, too late, too expensive for this once proud company?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Hobiwan

• mmg122

• JotterAddict62

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw these somewhere the other day, probably Facebook, but couldn't find any info on them. I kinda like them as an homage and as long as it's a decent pen, but once again I think the "new" Esterbrook has priced themselves over their market. I really like it, but won't spend $80 On a new pen just because it kinda looks like a type of vintage pen I like to collect.

Hope that made sense, it did in my head.

Edited by jdllizard

John L

I saw these somewhere the other day, probably Facebook, but couldn't find any info on them. I kinda like them as an homage and as long as it's a decent pen, but once again I think the "new" Esterbrook has priced themselves over their market. I really like it, but won't spend $80 On a new pen just because it kinda looks like a type of vintage pen I like to collect.

Hope that made sense, it did in my head.

AGH!!!! Run! Avoid the "new" Esterbrook! It has been discussed several times here. The only connection to the real Esterbrook is that someone bought the name. An "homage" to nothing.

The Levenger True-Writer is the closest to a modern version of the Esterbrook...a replaceable point like the Renew-point, the colors, black "jewels". Only three nib-types, but the market no longer supports 48 different nibs. A cartridge / converter, which Esterbrook would have if the grand old Camden company still existed. Matching ballpoint and roller-ball / fiber tip.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

The clip refers to the earliest dollar pens so at least they are trying this time. If it is as simple a pen as it seems from the picture $80. is a little high. I hope to get the the San Francisco Pen Show this weekend. Maybe there will be some of these there to check out.

Frankly, the original Esterbrooks were economical pens. These Esterbrooks Nouveau are high priced. Esterbrook as a luxury pen? Better to have resurrected the brand as a lever filler with on a model like TWSBI. They might then have sold enough to make real money.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If these are the slimmer pens, I tried one at DCSS a couple of weekends ago. And they have the same problem for me as the modern Mabie Todd Grammercy pens did -- they're darn heavy. Not overly ergonomic for someone with smallish hands like me (and I wonder if the girth would be a problem for people with larger-sized hands..

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looks okay. I haven't tried one. Fahrney's gets a price premium, and $80 is the introductory retail price. Does Fahrney's have an exclusive ? I would wait. If reviews are good, I might give it a second thought. It's not a vintage Esterbrook. It might prove to be a good, sturdy writer -- school pen or second tier workhorse. Maybe $40 new. $23 used.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

As a co-worker once said, they can "sauteer it in pure butter and shav it in the oven."

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

The new "Esterbrook" just keeps on giving. Did anyone else notice the engraving on the black rollerball cap is "D.J. Folly"? They certainly chose a fitting last name.

AGH!!!! Run! Avoid the "new" Esterbrook! It has been discussed several times here. The only connection to the real Esterbrook is that someone bought the name. An "homage" to nothing.

The Levenger True-Writer is the closest to a modern version of the Esterbrook...a replaceable point like the Renew-point, the colors, black "jewels". Only three nib-types, but the market no longer supports 48 different nibs. A cartridge / converter, which Esterbrook would have if the grand old Camden company still existed. Matching ballpoint and roller-ball / fiber tip.

Oh believe me, I was never going to consider purchasing ANY new Esterbrook. I saw how they've done business thus far, and that's all I really needed to make my mind up on that.

I'm just saying that at least this style doesn't make my want to gouge my eyes out like the earlier ones do. I can look at this one and at least see a resemblance to something Esterbrook once made. Rather than just stamping any ol' cheap "made in China" pen with the Esterbrook brand that you bought the rights to. Now, at least I can tell that the people in charge over there have actually SEEN a real Esty.

John L

Possible improvements since the last version of the Esterbrook revival that was met with derision here.

• Choice of nib sizes.
  • They claim that the nib is actually made in Germany. I think the previous one had an "IPG" nib. It would still be good to have a little more information on this, such as the actual company that they sourced the nib from.
  • Doesn't seem to have that big step down to the section.
  • Not unattractive.
  • They will personalize it for you (for an extra fee, obviously).

No, I'm not going to buy one. Taking a quick look at my pen list I have twenty real Esterbrooks; there's no reason to buy this ersatz "homage". It could turn out to be well enough made, though; we won't know until someone (else!) is interested enough to review it, which could happen if the price comes down far enough. If the Esterbrook name doesn't draw people in, however, it's hard to see what they offer that people couldn't get for less money from other brands.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Methinks that whether they realize it or not, their sales will depend on those whe do not know better. Too bad really, the Easterbrook name deserves so much more.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Hmmm. Here's a thought. If memory serves, the Parker '51 in that mustard-looking color became a rarity because (the legend says) people back then just didn't like the color.

Also, Parker Depression-era pens are rarities because even though they were cheaper (I think about $3.50?), who among the hoy polloi had the money to pay more than a buck for a pen.

Sooooo ... the Esterbrook Nostalgia, not being well accepted by the Esterbrook community, and not necessarily having anything much to appeal to other FP users ... if you get one now and hold on to it for, say, 40 years or so ... you get where I'm headed with this. :D

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

In 40 years I'll be 111.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

You think it will be a rarity because of low sales. That doesn't motivate me to buy yet another modern pen steel nib and the usual modern filling system that seems to choke in so many pens.

In forty years I'll be one hundred and seven.

Even if this becomes a rarity, it doesn't have attractive qualities for the money. I would rather spend my money on a used Montblanc 144 or Parker 51.

Let me add that I'd rather have a few Transitional Js with any nib. Like the MB and the 51, the Transitional J will start even with an EF nib.

Edited by pajaro

Hmmm. Here's a thought. If memory serves, the Parker '51 in that mustard-looking color became a rarity because (the legend says) people back then just didn't like the color.

I think that's what happened with Plummers as well. The difference of course being that Plum is an *attractive* color (Mustard? Not so much.... :sick:)

I will be coy and NOT discuss how old I'll be in 40 years (other than to say it will be younger than either AMN *or* pajaro.... That being said, I'm willing to bet that my vintage Esties will be in better shape and still up and running in another 40 years. The "reboot" Esties? Maybe not so much....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think the 51 mustard-looking color is Yellowstone. At least a 51 Vac writes and starts every time.

Give me that old Transitional J.

It's amazing how much attention this Esterbrook Nouveau gets. Maybe we can make it sound more grand. Esterbrook de Nuevo. Neue Esterbrook. Esterstuck. Nah, it's not working for me.

Buy a bushel basket full of these E- brooks and place them in a time capsule and dig a hole then when your great grand kids dig them up they will have a very very small fortune.

This is my 2cents from a vintage Parker collector/user.

BTW you can stick any of those new Parkers made today in there as well.

Just let me say that I do not own any Parker made after 1999 so who am I to say what is good or bad.

Edited by JotterAddict62

Buy a bushel basket full of these E- brooks and place them in a time capsule and dig a hole then when your great grand kids dig them up they will have a very very small fortune.

This is my 2cents from a vintage Parker collector/user.

BTW you can stick any of those new Parkers made today in there as well.

Just let me say that I do not own any Parker made after 1999 so who am I to say what is good or bad.

You haven't missed much by not owning any Parkers made after 1999. Some of the ballpoints are useful.