How Many Different Inks Do You Own? Samples And Bottles?

DrDebG

I've had to use a lot of self control, and in the past I haven't had that same control when it has come to other hobbies (as my 100+ marker pens can attest).

As a child I had a single fountain pen with a bunch of interchangeable nibs. About a year ago I picked up a preppy and got back into it. Right now I have a handful of preppies and a TWSBI 580. I'm looking for the perfect high end pen, something that speaks absolutely and perfectly to my aesthetic and then I'm done. Perhaps if I can find my perfect ink colour too...

The risk is accumulating a huge collection in the process when I already have enough in the way of collections of other stuff cluttering up my life.

If it's collecting inks, I don't like that many to begin with. So it's easy not to hoard.

As for pens, I don't buy cheap ones so the time gap between buying 2 pens is long and hoarding is thus, avoided. :)

Edited by Dhruv_Sood

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Dhruv_Sood

• DrDebG

• migo984

Some of it is, yes. I have a bunch of the old "red box" Sheaffer inks, some discontinued yet more modern hues, and a bunch of Japanese Sailor shop exclusives. Oh, and a bunch of Noodler's shop exclusives, too. :)

Wow. That's really impressive. How do you store it? You sound very organized; do you have a setup that allows you to put your hands on the ink you want pretty much right away -- like a numbered shelving system or alphabetically within brands or something? I guess I'm wondering how you physically arrange them for easy access...I'd hate to "hunt" for that Baystate Blue or whatever, LOL...

Samples - probably about 8

Bottles - 327, split between 2 continents.

You are really not a fan of samples?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

6 samples, 43 bottles, not counting duplicates.

edited to add: plus 4 sticks.

What are sticks?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Let's put it this way... there are 743 entries for unique colors in my spreadsheet. I don't fancy counting which ones are bottles and which are samples. That also does not include the cartridges.

Impressive.

75+ bottles. No samples. Felt "slightly ill" today, as this thread made me count the bottles for the first time :)

75+ bottles. No samples. Felt "slightly ill" today, as this thread made me count the bottles for the first time :)

I've decided not to count. Nothing good will come of it. Instead, I went and bought another bottle or two of ink. I found that exoticpenblanks.com had the best prices on PR and Noodler's inks and they had some of the De A inks that I've been wanting. Then, I called Dromgoole's and ordered more ink, but those are for someone else.

Okay, I took a picture of the newest inky cabinet, the Diamine Shelf.

fpn_1440437138__20150824_102324.jpg

Wow. That's really impressive. How do you store it? You sound very organized; do you have a setup that allows you to put your hands on the ink you want pretty much right away -- like a numbered shelving system or alphabetically within brands or something? I guess I'm wondering how you physically arrange them for easy access...I'd hate to "hunt" for that Baystate Blue or whatever, LOL...

I do indeed have a system!

First step, everything is logged into the Ink Inventory spreadsheet, which has a column for box #. Next, everything is stored in a patterned photo box that comes from the craft store (here's the one I'm working on filling currently--it's #28). Using stickers, I affix a number on the narrow end of the box that doesn't have the metal "insert-label-here" frame, and stack them in groups of four, numbers facing out. There are two dedicated boxes for samples and two for cartridges, though those are pretty much full, so samples and carts have been finding their way into the free spaces in the boxes o' bottles. The boxes live under my computer desk or a little alcove in the corner.

So, if I'm looking for a particular ink, I look it up on the spreadsheet, note the box, and then extricate it. A few things are stored outside of boxes 'cos they won't fit, like 3 of the big Akkerman bottles, the Diamine Music and Flowers sets, and a 4.5oz bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

Impressive.

Thanks. :)

I do indeed have a system!

First step, everything is logged into the Ink Inventory spreadsheet, which has a column for box #. Next, everything is stored in a patterned photo box that comes from the craft store (here's the one I'm working on filling currently--it's #28). Using stickers, I affix a number on the narrow end of the box that doesn't have the metal "insert-label-here" frame, and stack them in groups of four, numbers facing out. There are two dedicated boxes for samples and two for cartridges, though those are pretty much full, so samples and carts have been finding their way into the free spaces in the boxes o' bottles. The boxes live under my computer desk or a little alcove in the corner.

So, if I'm looking for a particular ink, I look it up on the spreadsheet, note the box, and then extricate it. A few things are stored outside of boxes 'cos they won't fit, like 3 of the big Akkerman bottles, the Diamine Music and Flowers sets, and a 4.5oz bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness.

Thanks. :)

That's a pretty good system. Do you group the inks in a given box in any way, or do you just fill up the most recent box with the newest inks (thus, box #1 should have the inks you purchased first)?

This is very fascinating since I'm overly anal about organizing collections of things. If I had that many inks, those groups of four boxes would probably be color-matched (ie: all blue inks in one group of 4/8/12 boxes, whatever it takes; all blacks in one group, reds in another group, etc)...

That's a pretty good system. Do you group the inks in a given box in any way, or do you just fill up the most recent box with the newest inks (thus, box #1 should have the inks you purchased first)?

This is very fascinating since I'm overly anal about organizing collections of things. If I had that many inks, those groups of four boxes would probably be color-matched (ie: all blue inks in one group of 4/8/12 boxes, whatever it takes; all blacks in one group, reds in another group, etc)...

It's just chronological, except that if I have one Sailor bottle sitting by itself somewhere, I know I can fit a second Sailor bottle on top of it* without affecting proper lid closure. So, like, even though I am on box 28, I know that there's space in box 26 for one more Sailor ink. :) * I keep all boxes.

And you certainly could do it that way! I like pretty patterned things so all my boxes are different, but they're also available in solid colors, so your method is feasible. :)

You are really not a fan of samples?

Oh I've gone through quite a few samples. It just means that when I get a sample, I use it up in testing :-) I don't keep them for long; I find that ink does not have longevity in sample vials. There is usually a bit of evaporation, or they aren't light-fast. So after a while I find the ink has changed slightly from the original sample. Sometimes only very slightly, but to me that negates the purpose of a sample. That's why I don't keep them. :-)

I do, however, love the small bottles that JustWrite sells, as they are dark brown, leakproof and very robust. Ink keeps well in them and they are great for transporting small quantities.

Verba volant, scripta manent

It's just chronological, except that if I have one Sailor bottle sitting by itself somewhere, I know I can fit a second Sailor bottle on top of it* without affecting proper lid closure. So, like, even though I am on box 28, I know that there's space in box 26 for one more Sailor ink. :) * I keep all boxes.

And you certainly could do it that way! I like pretty patterned things so all my boxes are different, but they're also available in solid colors, so your method is feasible. :)

OK, chronological is the easiest to "assemble as you go", so that makes sense. I don't keep any of my ink outer boxes, but I do keep all my pen boxes. There's not much room in the bottom dresser drawer at this point...I figure I can fit about 2 more pen boxes and then I need to have a "clean out the dresser" day. Only two drawers of the 5 are actually used for clothes, lol.

OH! I think I gave the wrong impression...I didn't mean all the boxes should be the color of the inks inside (ie: blue boxes for blue inks), I just meant that all the inks inside be blue...in other words, group all primary colors together...but now that you mention it, the color matching of the exterior box to the group of inks in it would be a cool rough visual indicator as to the status of color variety within your collection.

I really like your spreadsheet inventory idea though. That makes it so easy to find any ink you want with a simple search. And because its organized electronically, you don't really have to worry about or care how it is organized physically. That's kind of a big deal. I would print that list out every now and then, or at least have it backed up two or three different places...

I really like your spreadsheet inventory idea though. That makes it so easy to find any ink you want with a simple search. And because its organized electronically, you don't really have to worry about or care how it is organized physically. That's kind of a big deal. I would print that list out every now and then, or at least have it backed up two or three different places...

Thanks and yeah, I do have it backed up a couple of places. :) I also have an 'ink chronology' spreadsheet listing my various pens, what's in them now, and what'll go in them next. I'm a spreadsheet kind of gal!

29 Ink sample vials still got at least 1 refill in them.

125 bottles of ink (actually 130 bottles of ink as I have some ink bottle duplicates of inks I use a lot of)

I also have a bottle of Fields Scarlet which holds about 1000ml of ink - it's vintage ink but still works and the bottle even has a real Cork.

I suddenly feel so much better about my paltry (by comparison) 85 +/- sample vials.

The past couple of months have been all about playing with color; thus, the samples. For bottles, only a few, including Noodler's Rattler Red (thank you, amberleadavis, for suggesting it), some new Sailor Carbon Black for archival work, and three lovely bottles of J. Herbin's Ink for Man, long ago discontinued. I adore the scent, but alas, the burgundy has begun to get weird on me (the blue and black remain stable).

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/J%20Herbin%201.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/J%20Herbin%202.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/J%20Herbin%203.jpg

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

I suddenly feel so much better about my paltry (by comparison) 85 +/- sample vials.

The past couple of months have been all about playing with color; thus, the samples. For bottles, only a few, including Noodler's Rattler Red (thank you, amberleadavis, for suggesting it), some new Sailor Carbon Black for archival work, and three lovely bottles of J. Herbin's Ink for Man, long ago discontinued. I adore the scent, but alas, the burgundy has begun to get weird on me (the blue and black remain stable).

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/J%20Herbin%201.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/J%20Herbin%202.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh628/paperqueen1/J%20Herbin%203.jpg

I'm glad you are enjoying it! Be sure to do a quick review about those manly inks. :)

I love a good ink display!

Thank you. I didn't want to count, it wouldn't be healthy. :)

Hmm. Didn't I already post in this thread... Guess not.

18 bottles (one duplicate: I once forgot that I already had a full bottle of Parker blue), and 20 samples out of which 13 are still untested).

Oh I've gone through quite a few samples. It just means that when I get a sample, I use it up in testing :-) I don't keep them for long; I find that ink does not have longevity in sample vials. There is usually a bit of evaporation, or they aren't light-fast. So after a while I find the ink has changed slightly from the original sample. Sometimes only very slightly, but to me that negates the purpose of a sample. That's why I don't keep them. :-)

I do, however, love the small bottles that JustWrite sells, as they are dark brown, leakproof and very robust. Ink keeps well in them and they are great for transporting small quantities.

Evaporation huh? Well bummer. That means that I should get back to testing those samples. But my usual testing pen is still filled with Diamine registrars. Not an idea why.

(Wonder if I should buy a Pelikan m800 or gold BB nib for Kaweco *wanders off*)

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)