Does Anyone Here Use Mechanical Keyboards?

Keyless Works

If yes what model and why?

I have been using an Apple Wireless Keyboard for a couple of years now and I am starting to get bored of it. I want to go back to a mechanical keyboard. Prior to that I used a keyboard with Cherry Red switches and a modern production IBM Model M keyboard (by Unicomp).

I am considering a Tactile Pro Mini which uses replicas of the ALPS switches used on the Apple Extended keyboard from the early 90s as well as the Happy Hacking Professional 2 from Fujitsu which uses Topre switches.

Moderator note: I realize this may be pushing the limits of this subsection so please move the thread to chatter if not appropriate.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keyless Works

• tonybelding

• amberleadavis

• VinnyCordeiro

I was a huge fan of the Apple extended, and especially disappointed that it didn't carry over with the USB transition. Haven't used a mechanical since, but would like to again.

Qui me amat, amat et canem meum

I just bought a Ducky Mini with Cherry Blue. I have a MacBook Pro and Ducky Mini, imho, fits very well with it.

Made a post on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3hn8s3/my_first_mk_lets_hope_this_addiction_isnt_as_bad/)

Also check this post (https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/3hhzfq/my_first_fountain_pens_lets_hope_this_addiction/)

I'm using a Das Keyboard Pro 4 with Cherry Browns. Actually, I bought two: one for home and one for work. Wonderful keyboard with a great feel. It is a bit pricier than some other ones out there, though.

I use the Microsoft Ergo keyboard.

But I would love to use the original IBM AT keyboard. It has a great feel.

The other keyboard is the keyboard on the HP Vectra, unfortunately, I think the connector is an HP only connector, so not usable.

I have not found any other keyboard that my fingers really like.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

But I would love to use the original IBM AT keyboard. It has a great feel.

Your best bet for that with a new keyboard is to get a Unicomp from pckeyboard.com. They use the original molds, technology, springs, etc., from the IBM AT keyboards.

I use an NTC KB-6151 with amber Omron B3G-S switches and I have a Focus Keypro FK-9000 with white ALPS switches that I'm still trying to get working with my PC.

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

Mine is a func 460 with Cherry MX Blue (which I believe is made by Ione technology). Only drawbacks with it is whenever I have to use a membrane keyboard nowadays it feels really yucky!

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I'm using a Das Keyboard Pro 4 with Cherry Browns. Actually, I bought two: one for home and one for work. Wonderful keyboard with a great feel. It is a bit pricier than some other ones out there, though.

This is the keyboard that I use. I've had it a few years and it has increased my typing speed and helps to decrease typos. I'm an author and the clicky sound that the keyboard makes says "writing" to me. The feel of the keys is wonderful. Finally, a keyboard that can keep up with my speed of typing!

I've written an article about mechanical keyboards that explains some of the benefits for writing: http://nowastedink.com/2013/02/01/benefits-of-a-mechanical-keyboard-for-writers/

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com

It's noisier, heavier, rougher and imprecise feeling...it's well made but not as nice as the Fujitsu. The main reason I stopped using the Unicomp a few years ago though was that it is just too big. I have the "Spacesaver" version and it was still the biggest keyboard I have ever owned.

It's noisier, heavier, rougher and imprecise feeling...it's well made but not as nice as the Fujitsu. The main reason I stopped using the Unicomp a few years ago though was that it is just too big. I have the "Spacesaver" version and it was still the biggest keyboard I have ever owned.

Imprecise feel is reason enough. It's interesting that the Unicomp website gives the weight but not the dimensions of its keyboards.

Unicomp purchased the tooling IBM used to make their model M keyboards which IBM started producing in the late 1980s sooo even though they are new keyboards they are 1980s sized...if it doesn't take up an entire room then it qualifies as a "Spacesaver".

Imprecise feeling keys, that sounds like the chicklet keyboard on the Dell computer my wife's volunteer group has. It was a full size keyboard, but with the laptop chicklet keys. :wacko: YUK. I had so much trouble working on that keyboard, that if I have to go help them again, I am bringing my own keyboard. Geez, if they are going to make a full size keyboard, they should at least use decent key mechanism, they have the space.

www.SFPenShow.com

Interesting keyboards. I like some of the mechanical keyboards, but none have the ergo shape option.

I've gotten too used to using an ergo keyboard, that I won't use a straight keyboard if I have a choice.

Now you guys have me looking at keyboards.

I looked at the Happy Hacking keyboard, but I CANNOT give up the 10-key pad, to get a smaller keyboard. I use the keypad too much and just HATE to use the number row. Hey what do you expect from an accountant, I need the 10-key pad.

www.SFPenShow.com

Unicomp purchased the tooling IBM used to make their model M keyboards which IBM started producing in the late 1980s sooo even though they are new keyboards they are 1980s sized...if it doesn't take up an entire room then it qualifies as a "Spacesaver".

It was owing to Unicomp's history that I asked you compare it to your preferred Fujitsu. Thank you. By the by, your post stimulated me to purchase a second keyboard of choice for my office PC. The Logitech wireless illuminated K800 is for PC only and a far cry from your Happy Hacking Pro 2. However, the K800 is a graceful keyboard with a small footprint, the feel is addictive; and the illumination feature occasionally comes in handy.

Interesting keyboards. I like some of the mechanical keyboards, but none have the ergo shape option.

I've gotten too used to using an ergo keyboard, that I won't use a straight keyboard if I have a choice.

Now you guys have me looking at keyboards.

I looked at the Happy Hacking keyboard, but I CANNOT give up the 10-key pad, to get a smaller keyboard. I use the keypad too much and just HATE to use the number row. Hey what do you expect from an accountant, I need the 10-key pad.

I had several of the big single unit ergo keyboards 10+ years ago but I ruined all of them by spilling drinks on them...they were just too big and I was too clumsy. The new Microsoft Ergo board is very nice.

If you want an ergo Star Trek style mechanical keyboard there is always the Advantage Pro which uses Cherry MX Brown mechanical switches (you will need a big desk though):

kinesisadvantagepro.jpg

I am a CPA too though I haven't done accounting in a couple of years now but I found that I like a separate 10 key better than one attached to my keyboard as I like to be able to push one out of the way when I don't need it.

When I was working I used these in the office because they didn't make much noise and I could fit a notepad or calculator in the middle:

http://www.micwil.com/images/fpngallery/kinesis_corporation_freestyle2_keyboard_for_pc_p18_1200x750.jpg

It was owing to Unicomp's history that I asked you compare it to your preferred Fujitsu. Thank you. By the by, your post stimulated me to purchase a second keyboard of choice for my office PC. The Logitech wireless illuminated K800 is for PC only and a far cry from your Happy Hacking Pro 2. However, the K800 is a graceful keyboard with a small footprint, the feel is addictive; and the illumination feature occasionally comes in handy.

Haha I am happy to be an enabler.

I like Logitech and Microsoft peripherals. Their designs are intelligent. I seem to rotate keyboards every few years on and off from mechanical...I am sure when I am bored with this one I will be back to one of their products or an Apple keyboard if they ever design a new one.