Three Parker Questions From A Noob.

Redleg05

Hi, clueless newbie here. I have three Parkers, all in "as found" condition, that I have questions about.

The first question: The first two attached photos are for a 51 I found. This 51 is missing its jewel. It's a later Aerometric (pump 4x). Any suggestions on finding a repro or original jewel?

The next two photos are of another 51, considerably shorter than the one above. Its cap seems too big proportionally to the body compared to the one above, but the cap fits snugly. It's bigger around than the first one (the first one's cap will not fit). It has a blind cap and a plastic Vacumatic filler. I've read that caps in the wild are frequently exchanged. Is this the correct cap for this pen? (If so, I must say it's one of the ugliest Parkers I've seen...) :)

Finally, there is this orange Duofold. The cap, as the photos show, has a large chip. It screws on tightly. Are there people who repair these, or does this just make a good parts pen for other Duofolds? That would be a shame, as it's in otherwise pretty good shape, but it was this way when I got it, so I knew that could be a possibility.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thank you!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redleg05

• Flounder

• mitto

• Florida Blue

Original 51 jewels are available but are disproportionally expensive compared to a reproduction jewel. BUT both are generally available though it might be easier to purchase a complete cap than just a jewel.

Second pen is likely a Demi Vac 51. These are the same diameter as a standard size 51 but shorter. There is a proper Demi cap that is slightly shorter than a standard vac 51 cap. When Parker switched to the Aero filler the Demi sized pen got smaller in diameter.

It is possible to replace the cap lip on your Duofold. A seam is made under the band resulting in a nearly undetectible repair if properly done. The quesion is really to determine if repair or replacement is more cost effective.

All three are worth fixing.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Regarding pen #1: Explain in more detail why the cap can't fit on the pen? It could be a demi cap, which would not fit on a full size 51 Aero. If you have a demi cap you will need to find a full sized one. Repro jewels sell for about $10.

Pen #2: The cap is correct for a 51 Vacumatic Demi, which it appears you have.

Pen #3: I agree with FarmBoy, the Duofold is worth fixing. It's a red Senior sized, which are always desirable with collectors. You could also try looking for a replacement cap.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

For P-51 jewels, try Ernesto Soler (Parker51.com) or troll EBay. Ariel Kullock often sells 51 jewels for about $15 each, although you will pay for postage from Argentina. Ask Ernesto about a new cap, although I think it's better to replace the minimum...if you just need a jewel, get a jewel.

On the 51s, look carefully at the nib. The Demi nib looks like it has lost most (all?) of its tipping. Ernesto also sells 51 nibs, although he, and many others, are running short of gold nibs. The octanium nibs can be pretty good, though.

As Farmboy and Florida Blue have suggested, fix the Duofold.

Where did you "find" a big Duofold?

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

The 51 Vac demi is an amusing pen. I bought one out of curiousity, after I had figured out how to resac a 51 Vac. I use it more than I had thought I would. I observe that the proportions are different on the Vac Demi 51, but it is hardly ugly. One thing about Parkers, even the ones I don't like, is that they are all nice looking pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Here's a link to a repro grey jewel US based auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-51-DARK-PEARLY-GREY-REPRODUCTION-FOUNTAIN-PEN-CAP-JEWEL-1-REF-218-/231622421051?hash=item35edc5aa3b

Same seller (Ariel Kullock) recently had amber ("honey") repro jewels:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-51-Reproduction-Jewel-for-Fountain-Pen-Cap-Honey-Color-Rare-Ref-2602-/331610127768

Aluminium repro jewels from fatnibs in the UK:

www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-51-Pair-Aluminium-Cap-Blind-cap-jewels-Modern-Replacements-/221841534031

Original grey jewels (with brass bushing included) from fatnibs in the UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-Parker-51-ORIGINAL-Clip-jewel-and-Brass-Bushing-Screw-/221852552995

My own experience of repro jewels is limited to a single grey jewel*, not very close to the original.

* edit - I'm not saying it was one of AKs, no way to tell.

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Regarding pen #1: Explain in more detail why the cap can't fit on the pen? It could be a demi cap, which would not fit on a full size 51 Aero. If you have a demi cap you will need to find a full sized one. Repro jewels sell for about $10.

What I meant was that I cannot exchange the Demi cap with the Aerometric one. The Aerometric has a smaller diameter than the Vacumatic Demi. The caps are the same length though.

Since the were the same length but the Demi was shorter, I thought it mught be an incorrect cap. It looked "topheavy" to me.

Thanks!

Where did you "find" a big Duofold?

Thank you for the sources!

A long story short: we had to help my mother move over this summer. My siblings asked if they should keep an eye out for anything as she was downsizing. I said "fountain pens."

I ended up with a green Duofold (and a receipt from Parker in Janesville showing my mother has it serviced there in 1988), this red one, and a couple of others.

The 51 Vac demi is an amusing pen. I bought one out of curiousity, after I had figured out how to resac a 51 Vac. I use it more than I had thought I would. I observe that the proportions are different on the Vac Demi 51, but it is hardly ugly. One thing about Parkers, even the ones I don't like, is that they are all nice looking pens.

I love them too. This Demi looks like a boy wearing his father's hat to me, kind of top-heavy and disproportionate somehow. Maybe "ugly" was too harsh a term. :)

Here's a link to a repro grey jewel US based auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-51-DARK-PEARLY-GREY-REPRODUCTION-FOUNTAIN-PEN-CAP-JEWEL-1-REF-218-/231622421051?hash=item35edc5aa3b

Same seller (Ariel Kullock) recently had amber ("honey") repro jewels:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-51-Reproduction-Jewel-for-Fountain-Pen-Cap-Honey-Color-Rare-Ref-2602-/331610127768

Aluminium repro jewels from fatnibs in the UK:

www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-51-Pair-Aluminium-Cap-Blind-cap-jewels-Modern-Replacements-/221841534031

Original grey jewels (with brass bushing included) from fatnibs in the UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-Parker-51-ORIGINAL-Clip-jewel-and-Brass-Bushing-Screw-/221852552995

My own experience of repro jewels is limited to a single grey jewel*, not very close to the original.

* edit - I'm not saying it was one of AKs, no way to tell.

Are all Parker 51 jewel sizes the same? I thought I'd read there were different sizes. I meant to ask that in the original post.

Thank you!

Are all Parker 51 jewel sizes the same? I thought I'd read there were different sizes. I meant to ask that in the original post.

Thank you!

DO you mean the thread size on the shaft? Yes, there's two different sizes,

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

DO you mean the thread size on the shaft? Yes, there's two different sizes,

I'm not sure what I mean. How do I tell which jewel to order? The "squeeze four times" are later model aerometrics, correct? I took that photo with a ruler so people could see what I need. So if there is more than one size I'm wondering which to get for this pen. By the way, I looked just now. The Demi is second quarter 1948, but there are no markings at all on the full-sized one.

Thanks!

What I meant was that I cannot exchange the Demi cap with the Aerometric one. The Aerometric has a smaller diameter than the Vacumatic Demi. The caps are the same length though.

Since the were the same length but the Demi was shorter, I thought it mught be an incorrect cap. It looked "topheavy" to me.

Thanks!

The aerometric looks to be a special. would you be able to show us the filler unit of the aero pen?

Khan M. Ilyas

The aerometric looks to be a special. would you be able to show us the filler unit of the aero pen?

There is no indication that this is a 51 Special. Here's a shot of the filler.

It looks to be a demi/special. Your description of the pen also suggests it is a demi/special aero pen. Its cap would not fit the second ( vac demi) pen since it is of a smaller diameter.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

It looks to be a demi/special. Your description of the pen also suggests it is a demi/special aero pen. Its cap would not fit the second ( vac demi) pen since it is of a smaller diameter.

Interesting. Thanks for the help. I have another 51 Special and it's called that on the filler. I assumed all Specials would be marked thus. This one is 1/2" longer than the Vacumatic Demi. Were Special Demis longer than the Vac version?

Does that help in identifying the correct jewel to look for? Or are they interchangeable with regular 51s? And any suggestion on what the correct color might be? I'd rather try for as correct/original as I can.

Interesting. Thanks for the help. I have another 51 Special and it's called that on the filler. I assumed all Specials would be marked thus. This one is 1/2" longer than the Vacumatic Demi. Were Special Demis longer than the Vac version?

Does that help in identifying the correct jewel to look for? Or are they interchangeable with regular 51s? And any suggestion on what the correct color might be? I'd rather try for as correct/original as I can.

You may read this thread for the cap jewel sizes:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/226238-parker-51-jewel/

And this :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/184546-replacing-cap-jewel-on-parker-51/

And this one :

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/106802-51-cap-jewels/

Khan M. Ilyas

Great info, thank you!

It looks like the smaller diameter thread is my best bet.

It is probably a regular Demi as the Demi-sized Specials are very, very uncommon and I believe they had "Special" on the filler. Since it doesn't have a date code on the barrel, it was made sometime after 1952.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.