Wahl Eversharp Desk Pen

missuslovett

Hello Eversharp Forum!

I've just cheaply purchased a lovely Eversharp desk pen and seek some advice and guidance on how best to clean and restore it and perhaps some info as I'm quite new to Wahl.

Everything seems to be present and correct and it has a wonderful flexible nib. It's a lever filler and will obviously need an overhaul. How best should I get inside to clean and re-sack? It has an abalone shell patterned body which has become discoloured. Is there any way of cleaning this without damaging the pen? Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions and information. Here are some terrible pictures of it. :)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• missuslovett

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you are not familiar with removing sections from barrels. That is by far, the most difficult part of resacing the pen. I've damaged/destroyed a few pens trying to get the section out. And one of those pens was NOT cheap :( So, if the pen is of value, and if you are in doubt of your skills, send it to a professional pen tech with a good reputation on working on old pens.

Discoloration/darkening is likely from off-gassing from the ink sac reacting with the celluloid.

From what I understand, there is nothing you can do about it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks for replying :)

In the past, I, too, have ruined a couple of pens feeling my way servicing them, thankfully nothing too valuable or interesting. I just wanted to be sure there was no little trick peculiar to desk pens or Wahls that I'd need to know about, just to be on the safe side.

There's not a lot of clearance between the section and the barrel so re-sacked, it needed some squeezing to re-assemble but it's now all cleaned and writing again. It's almost a wet noodle. I'm so pleased!

I didn't think there was much I could do about the staining. But it actually doesn't look too bad, quite pretty in a way.

Thanks again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files