Twsbi Eco Section Crack

R531

So I got my Eco (black, EF nib) about 12 days ago. I've filled it with Noodlers Black. A very nice smooth wet EF, no complaints at all. However, TODAY I FOUND A CRACK ! At the section by the nib and feed, a small crack in the section about the width of a fingernail has occurred. I don't throw my pens about and handle them with care, and the same applies to this pen. I wonder if anyone will experience this.

I will be contacting the retailer and hopefully get a replacement as it is such a nice pen, and the section cracking is hopefully not a regular occurrence ... Pictures will be up soon :)

“Rome wasn’t built in a day, but then again I wasn’t on that particular job.” - Brian Clough

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• R531

• LizEF

• Keyless Works

• matteob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope it was just a bad one. I'm away atm but when I get home I'll get a picture on, as I don't think the mobile version works for picture uploading ! Oh well, besides that it's a good pen ...

“Rome wasn’t built in a day, but then again I wasn’t on that particular job.” - Brian Clough

Son of a (bleep). I looked at my Eco after reading OP's post and I've got a crack in the same place too. I don't have a loupe but it looks like a mold line that's split open. Right now it's a surface crack but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it gets deeper. I've already contacted my retailer about this.

Oh horse stiff...usin' me Eco for ....thirty two days and on it's

sixth fill of Diamine blue black without incident....yup..

you read that right....no problemo....I must be one one lucky

son of a bob.................................................................................

And of course..'tis me personal experience and yours

will be varied.......

Fred

"I don't know if you know me, but I want you to

understand what your food has done for us."

~ John Pizzarelli

"Of course I know who you are."

~ Mario Batali..Grazie

Well I hope the crack doesn't deepen otherwise it's going to be a short honeymoon between me and TWSBI.

My Eco is on it's second fill - no sign of any cracking.

The Twsbi italic nib on mine was a bit 'off' - I should have got a replacement but I decided to 'fix' it myself. In the meantime I fitted a FPR fine stub nib in it's place - the FPR nib is really very good indeed - excellent flow & form etc. The Eco is a bigger pen than I expected BUT if feels, handles, and looks (white 'top & tail' with Diamine Amber ink in) great. The piston mechanism works exceedingly well. It's much better than I expected - a big thumbs up (so far).

Edited by zenephi001

John

Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow :-)

For All The Times That Might Have Been We Only Have The Now

www.africanconservation.org

I want to assume this is a fluke, because I don't see any stress points there.

Is it on the mold lines?

The Twsbi italic nib on mine was a bit 'off'

Yeah, my italic's tines were way too tight. I shimmed them apart and now it's flowing great.

.......I don't see any stress points there.

Is it on the mold lines?

There is a mold seam without Any flash..you can see it...but you

can't feel it..which starts on the right side of top of section and

continues down to the bottom of the barrel..where filler unit

seats. Well done...............................................................................

Fred

listening to Sinatra...I've Got You Under My Skin

• 2 weeks later...

Picture?

If I remember, I'll put the photo on Flickr tomorrow so I can post it here as I have no other easy-ish way of posting it.

Anyway, the guys at Purepens sent me a replacement Eco even before I could send the cracked pen back, and gave me a free return slip for the pen ! I call that customer service. Them, along with Cultpens are now my go to recommendation for UK retailers. :) my new one has Diamine Majestic Blue in it currently, and so far, so good !

(bleep). I looked at my Eco after reading OP's post and I've got a crack in the same place too. I don't have a loupe but it looks like a mold line that's split open. Right now it's a surface crack but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it gets deeper. I've already contacted my retailer about this.

Mine was slightly left of that central vertical mild line(as if you were holding the pen). It got replaced very quickly(see above post) ! Did you get it sorted ? Where did you buy from ?

ATB

• 1 month later...

First off - I love my Eco... It is a pure pleasure to write with to look at (I often get distracted by watching the ink in the barrel).

Anyways, count me in :(

This is my 6th day with her and 2nd refill (never disassembled). Today I happened to be under a bright daylight bulb and a "chip /crack /chunk" appeared in the corner of my eye. I can't feel it, and it's not leaking or loose, almost like it's inside??

The craziest part for me is that, well yes iit's just a hair off that mould line, at the very end of the section....and when looking at the end of the section (straight on, nib tip facing me) I can't see any crack! I took some macro shots I'll try to load (ppl say it can't be done on mobile lol I'll try).

Anyways, TWSBI replied immediately that he didn't think that could happen because the barrel is all one piece (?? I haven't taken it apart, is the section and barrel one piece?!) and they thought they'd fixed that issue. He immediately offered to send out a new barrel piece.

I emailed him back a few photos - hopefully if enough ppl take the time to email the photos it'll help with manufacturing. I just really like the pen, and I'm really hoping this isn't going to become a problem :-/ Right now, it's a glaring shiny flaw that makes me just put it back in her case. :-/ post-121957-0-17937900-1445043278_thumb.jpegpost-121957-0-86599300-1445043369_thumb.jpegpost-121957-0-73817400-1445043410_thumb.jpegpost-121957-0-84861600-1445043455_thumb.jpegpost-121957-0-17937900-1445043278_thumb.jpeg

Two lovers in the rain have no need of an umbrella

~ Japanese Proverb ~

I don't think it's a crack, it looks more like a manufacturing flaw during the molding process. It looks like it could flake off eventually. I hope they replace that part for you. :(

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

The never ending story.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

• 1 year later...

I know, dead thread, but it's the most appropriate. I noticed a crack in my Eco's section yesterday. It's a year old. TWSBI were great today, responding quickly to send me a new barrel. The sad part is, until reading this thread, I didn't think to check the section on the second Eco, and....it's cracked too. Big sigh. Not even sure it's worth contacting them again to get it replaced. It's nib is a little wonky, and I doubt I'll use two Ecos at once now that I have a variety of other pens. Still disappointing.

I would definitely contact them again. I am sure they will help as they are supposed to be hot on customer service. They should really send you a new pen. I like my Eco but am reluctant to buy a more expenive Eco because of what seems patchy quality control with the plastic.

Edited by matteob