• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• asnailmailer

• FredRydr

• TXKat

Only 86p? To where?

The sum total of stamps applied to each postcard and envelope that I receive from the UK lately has varied considerably. Perhaps UK post offices are giving out as many different opinions on international mail cost as there are post offices.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

• 2 weeks later...

Just received a letter today from a penpal in Manchester. 1 pound stamp - Air Mail pretty light. Haven't opened it, but I know how he folds things and it is probably two sheets. After opening 3 sheets A5 - and a staple!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Sorry for your troubles!!!

The USPS (United States Postal Service) can be just as irritating. Now that they have gone private, they keep raising rates at a yearly pace, yet the service provided by them gets more and more lax with each passing year! They blame the slowing of snail mail, but part of that, in my experience, is due to the people they now having working at the local post office. Our location made the news for postal workers stealing money (never send) and gift cards from birthday, anniversay, etc. cards and then going as far as putting in a new envelope!

It is an uphill battle always, it seems. I do believe most places have cheaper rates than we do. If that can be considered a plus.

When did the USPS go private? I'm not sure this has happened and I get emails from postal employees unions.

Posted Image

Just received a letter today from a penpal in Manchester. 1 pound stamp - Air Mail pretty light. Haven't opened it, but I know how he folds things and it is probably two sheets. After opening 3 sheets A5 - and a staple!

That is OK for letters upto 10g (for outside Europe). Next band up is £1.33.

Edited by Finola

!

• 4 weeks later...

How's it coming along?

I received a postcard from the UK with a rectangular stamp with HM on the right, no denomination, and what appears to be laser-printed words "Worldwide up to 20g" with a many-digit number printed at the bottom. Is that an international economy UK stamp?

Fred

How's it coming along?

I received a postcard from the UK with a rectangular stamp with HM on the right, no denomination, and what appears to be laser-printed words "Worldwide up to 20g" with a many-digit number printed at the bottom. Is that an international economy UK stamp?

Fred

Probably not, that is an airmail value stamp/label. It sounds like a post and go label - your one is not shown but does it look a bit like the one shown http://blog.norphil.co.uk/2015/09/autumn-stampex-post-and-go-stamps-update.html

!

How's it coming along?

Fred

That sounds like an Airmail up to 20g stamp, for Countries outside Europe. These are like your US Forever or Postcard stamps. They have no price on them so they can be used 'forever' no matter how many price increases there are.

I buy stamps like this from Philatelink. I had assumed you might have a similar entrepreneur in the US who sold previous issue but valid stamps for a few cents less each than the current price.

The Royal Mail CEO Moya Greene is personally forwarding any returned letters - total of 4 now. She has set someone to ensuring the Heathrow sorting facility (who were responsible for all these returns) are aware of International Economy. I got compensation (£10) and a book of 1st class stamps.

And I suppose a Christmas card from Moya Greene!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

The Royal Mail CEO Moya Greene is personally forwarding any returned letters - total of 4 now. She has set someone to ensuring the Heathrow sorting facility (who were responsible for all these returns) are aware of International Economy. I got compensation (£10) and a book of 1st class stamps.

And I suppose a Christmas card from Moya Greene!!

Be careful what you wish for - the card may have a hefty 'Postage Due - £20' sticker on it! ;)

I buy stamps like this from Philatelink. I had assumed you might have a similar entrepreneur in the US who sold previous issue but valid stamps for a few cents less each than the current price.

The only discount on stamps I have ever received was purchasing the booklets of forever stamps at Costco. They sell 100 stamps for about .25 cents less than the regular price when buying the 5 packs of 20 (100 stamps total) at their checkout register. I have a business so I buy forever stamps & extra ounce stamps (which are about 22 cents each). The forever stamp covers the 1st ounce and each additional ounce is covered with a 22 cent stamp.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for your troubles!!!

The USPS (United States Postal Service) can be just as irritating. Now that they have gone private, they keep raising rates at a yearly pace, yet the service provided by them gets more and more lax with each passing year! They blame the slowing of snail mail, but part of that, in my experience, is due to the people they now having working at the local post office. Our location made the news for postal workers stealing money (never send) and gift cards from birthday, anniversay, etc. cards and then going as far as putting in a new envelope!

It is an uphill battle always, it seems. I do believe most places have cheaper rates than we do. If that can be considered a plus.

They are not private. They are still a quasi owned government agency, overseen by the president, postmaster General, and I can't remember who else. They have received no federal funds since 1980.

Peace and Understanding