Help Regarding Dip Pens

Forgiven

Hello guys

I am a university student. I normally take my notes in class and record the lecture. Once I get back home I use the recordings and notes to make a final copy of my notes. Starting this new semester in September I am thinking of making my notes (the fair version which I make at home in my "free time") in Rohrer and Klingner Salix/Scabiosa ink to make them waterproof. I had the inks and I was afraid of damaging my fountain pen with it because it is iron gall after all. Filling a pen and then cleaning it after each session of ink use would become too cumbersome so I decided that I should buy a dip pen instead. Now the issue is that if I buy a glass dip pen then I would have to to dip it pretty much after each sentence. I saw some other dip pens that have metal nibs but I don't know how they work. A video by Matt Armstrong of The Pen Habit had a Ranga ebonite dip pen with a feed which was good enough to write half a page with just one dip.

I wanted the community's help in deciding which type of dip pen should I use and where I can buy it. I am from Canada.....so though I'd share it before the community gave me suggestions. Also I don't want the dip pen the completely break my budget....the most expensive pen I have bought was under $50 so.....ya.

If anyone with enough advice can guide me then I will really appreciate that. Thanks guys/girls

Edited by Forgiven

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr.Rene

• ac12

• LindaM

• PaperQueen

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm unfamiliar with the H&R ink you spoke of but I use iron gall inks every day (KWZink IG Turquoise) with a fountain pen. The pens I use it in are: Lamy 2000 and TWSBI Mini Classic, and a Pilot vanishing point.

Never a problem or hicup.

Dana

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

I've used Salix extensively as well, and I've never had a problem cleaning it and I've had Salix in my pens for weeks at a time. Even if you clean your pen every month or so, it should be fine in my experience. A dip pen seems like too much work for school notes.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

R&K iron gall ink, and virtually all modern iron gall inks, are not as corrosive as the IG inks of old. They will not cause a problem in modern pens.

Best practices for IG inks are

• Thoroughly clean the pen of all previous inks before filling with IG inks
  • Some recommend a dilute acetic acid bath as part of the cleaning process. I use a little vinegar in water as one fill and empty, followed by a couple of water rinses.
  • Probably best not to let the ink dry in the pen

Why don't you get a Chinese pen or a Lamy Safari and use it as your IG pen-- that way you won't have any nagging worries.

Enjoy IG inks, they are not to be feared.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I'd give a thumbs down to using a glass pen. You never do know what you'll get and each time you put it down you can never be sure you have it on the sweet spot. You never know how much you'll get out of it. Two words - a sentence - three letters? Whatever. Don't get me wrong. I have a glass pen and enjoy using it, but mostly for trying out different inks. Use it for class notes and you will seriously contemplate dropping out of school and joining the Canadian (or maybe the Bulgarian) army.

There are non iron gall inks such as the de Atramentis Document inks that are at least as waterproof as the modern FP-friendly iron galls such as Salix and Scabiosa.

Here's a review which compares the water resistance of de Atramentis Document Blue with R&K Salix (and some others).

I personally use de Atramentis Document Brown in a fountain pen that I use for drawing, so that I can then apply a watercolour wash over the sketch.

Edited by Goudy

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Iron-gall inks have a bad reputation in some way..but I love them, modern and vintage formulas.. no problem at all in my fountain pens...

:thumbup:

Edited by Mr.Rene

I completely understand your trepidation about IG inks---I'm a little (read: extremely) cautious too, probably without reason. Still......my pens, my decision, right? ;)

Charles is 100% correct about the glass pen thing. You'll be swinging from the rafters (if not throwing the pen across the room) before completing a day's notes. Better to pick up a Lamy Safari, then make it your dedicated IG pen.

Of course, this didn't stop me from buying a Ranga Ebonite on eBay just now. Dang...how'd that happen???

Enjoy!

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

I have the Rohrer and Klingnor glass pens and they can go quite a ways before running out of ink. And while I wouldn't have considered using dip pens in college, I will say one thing - they force you to slow down. Which, if you have the self-discipline for it, you might learn from your notes much better due to having time to think more while writing. So there's that to consider too.

Glass pens write WET, a lot wetter than a fountain pen.

IMHO, it is not worth the hassle to use a dip pen for what you are describing.

Just use an inexpensive fountain pen (TWSBI Eco, Rossetta Explorer, Pilot Metro, Lamy Safari, Baoer 388, etc.), and clean it every other week or so, and you should be fine.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I've had Salix in my Mabie Todd Blackbird more or less continuously for the last several months. Do not be put off by tales of iron gall inks from the past. Modern versions are as different as night and day. Put it in whatever fountain pen you like and enjoy it!

I've had Salix in my Mabie Todd Blackbird more or less continuously for the last several months. Do not be put off by tales of iron gall inks from the past. Modern versions are as different as night and day. Put it in whatever fountain pen you like and enjoy it!

+1 for this. Have had a safari and a Konrad inked up with ESSRI for some time now. They are used when I am at work or out and about and have not had any problems bar the safari drying out at one point with the cap left off, a quick sluice under a tap and a dry with kitchen towel and the ink was flowing normally once more.

At home I use dip pens and IG ink almost exclusively, for notes, letters, journaling etc. A standard wooden holder is only a couple of pounds. I was given a nice Victorian bone holder last week by the owner of an antique's shop in North Wales as I was admiring a bunch of nibs and holders in a writing slope. With regard nibs and amount of writing that can be done with them, my favourite pens at present for everyday use are Geo.W.Hughes White Horse Pens (No.312) available here:

http://www.dippennibs.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=BoxedHughesWHorseOpen

Coupled with the Mitchel slip-on reservoir here:

http://www.dippennibs.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Reservoir

I can get a good length paragraph out of a single dip with this combo. No affiliation to the company above, but am a satisfied customer. Of course, Forgiven, you are not in the UK but dipennibs.co.uk appear to ship elsewhere too and perhaps you have a similar store where you are.