Loose cap bands?

DrHeat

Hey folks, anyone got a hint for repairing loose cap bands? I've got an AF Duofold that's in decent shape except for a slightly loose cap band. The band spins and there's a little bit of play, I guess the plastic has done the shrinking thing with age.

I'm not sure if I should even bother trying to repair it, but, I'm obsessive so...

Any input much appreciated.

Cheers.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• DrHeat

• tryphon

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Da Book, loose cap bands can easily be repaired with a ligttle dab of super glue. Move the ring out of place, put a little dab of the superglue in the groove where the ring sits with a toothpick, and put the band back. HTH

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Please do NOT use superglue!

It will mar the surface of the plastic and does not provide a long lasting solution.

Use shellac. Allow the shellac to dry completely and then wipe the excess shellac off with denatured ethyl alcohol. Do not overexpose the pen to the effects of the alcohol. After removing the exscess shellac, rinse in water and dab dry.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

Hi DrHeat,

Alternatively, let some shellac seep between band and cap. When it is dry, remove the excess with a cotton swab, wetted with a little alcohol (shoudl just be damp, that's all).

Oh, btw, welcome to the Fountain Pen Nut house!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

A-ha! Shellac, I hadn't thought of that. I've got superglue kicking aroud the house but

I really wasn't sure if it would do the trick. Speaking of shellac, is it worth ordering some from a pen repair specialty house? I can get a giant can of 3lb-cut amber shellac from my local hardware store for a fair bit less.

I was noticing today, the top of the clip doesn't quite line up concentrically with the top of the cap. It's flat and level but there's a little bit of a lip at one side. Is this par for the course or something I need to tweak? (and how?)

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome folks,

Cheers.

Hi DrHeat,

Yes, you can use the amber shellac from your hardware store. It may just be a little more impure, but I guess for glueing down a cap band that shouldn´t matter.

Unfortuntely I can´t help you with the clip.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Go for the local shellac, but unless you have other projects to do, like some wood finishing, I wouldn't go for the economy size package. Shellac does have a shelf life, and your pens won't use up any quantity at all in the lifetime of the big can.

BTW, I am not aware of any disasterous consequences of using old shellac other than the drying time extends, ultimately until it remains a gummy mess - but since it still dissolves with alcohol, can be cleaned up and replaced.

If you have access to the shellac flakes that can be used to make the liquid, they store better, and you can make the quantities, in the strength you like, at will.

Cheers,

Gerry

Tryphon pen supplies is the only place I know that states that their shellac is specificly blended for optimum use with pens (and I would not doubt that for a moment).

Everyone else, as I recall, uses ordinary orange shellac and puts it in a nice bottle with an applicator brush. In Richard Binder's article about how to resack a pen, he says he went down to the hardware store and spent his $5 on a big can.

Personally I ordered mine through Pendamonium, since I like the little applicator brush and I hate to have the rest of the quart sitting around unused for years. It also fits better on my dresser next to all my ink bottles, and I am much more likely to find the time to resack a pen if I don't have to drag out a can from the basement.

Johnny Appleseed

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

• 1 month later...
Tryphon pen supplies is the only place I know that states that their shellac is specificly blended for optimum use with pens (and I would not doubt that for a moment).

Everyone else, as I recall, uses ordinary orange shellac and puts it in a nice bottle with an applicator brush. In Richard Binder's article about how to resack a pen, he says he went down to the hardware store and spent his $5 on a big can.

Just for the record, I understand that Richard Binder is now using exclusively the Tryphon Pen Sac Cement ( a blend of highly pure white and orange shellac, specifically formulated for pen use and having a shelf life in excess of 10 years)

Giovanni (Tryphon Enterprises)

http://www.tryphon.it/shellm.jpg

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....