The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Any Help For A Sheaffer Ignoramus..?

sheaffer balance canada

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2015 - 18:42

I have what I think is a Canadian Sheaffer Balance. It has a firm 5-30 medium 14k nib and some hard to read bibble about Toronto on the side. I think it's a Balance but should it have a white dot (it doesn't)? What is the significance of the white dot? Why is the sky blue..??

Even though I'm a flex slut and this is firm, it's a lovely pen to hold. Comfortable and well named (if indeed it is so...). Where might I look for flex nibs in Sheaffers? The combination seems drool-worthy.

I'm very much a Sheaffer newbie and will happily snaffle any information you can spare.Sorry about the rubbish pictures.

[attachment=326855:P1030004.JPG]

[attachment=326856:P1030002.JPG]

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2015 - 19:13

The White Dot was only found on Sheaffer's top of the line pens and at that time would have had a "Lifetime" imprint nib.

Nib on right:

medium800.jpg

What you have is a Balance from the next step down, still a top tier pen with the Sheaffer name and very high quality.

Sheaffer had other ranges that sold under different brand names like "WASP" (Walter A Sheaffer Pen).

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 19:29

I have what I think is a Canadian Sheaffer Balance. It has a firm 5-30 medium 14k nib and some hard to read bibble about Toronto on the side. I think it's a Balance but should it have a white dot (it doesn't)? What is the significance of the white dot? Why is the sky blue..??

At the time, the White Dot indicated a Lifetime pen, which had a lifetime guarantee that covered even accidental damage. Your pen was a somewhat less-expensive model with a more modest guarantee; it was only guaranteed against defects.

Even though I'm a flex slut and this is firm, it's a lovely pen to hold. Comfortable and well named (if indeed it is so...). Where might I look for flex nibs in Sheaffers? The combination seems drool-worthy.

Well, all the usual places; eBay, pen dealers' sites, pen shows, pen board classifieds...

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#4 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2015 - 20:17

Ah, the white dot explained. Thank you. And it's a testament to the quality of Sheaffer as a marque that even their 'lower tier' pens remain in 1st class working order after 80 years hard scribbling.

#5 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2015 - 21:18

I think your pen is from the early 30's, maybe 1933, judging by the clip design and the colour is "Marine Green". You might come across a flexible Sheaffer nib, but they are a bit hard to find. Sheaffer, on the whole, were not known for their "flexies", but, stranger things have happened. Sheaffer's Canadian factory was in Toronto for many years then in the 50's (?) they moved production to Goderich Ontario on the shores of Lake Huron. They are, of course, no longer there.

#6 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2015 - 23:47

I think your pen is from the early 30's, maybe 1933, judging by the clip design and the colour is "Marine Green". You might come across a flexible Sheaffer nib, but they are a bit hard to find. Sheaffer, on the whole, were not known for their "flexies", but, stranger things have happened. Sheaffer's Canadian factory was in Toronto for many years then in the 50's (?) they moved production to Goderich Ontario on the shores of Lake Huron. They are, of course, no longer there.

That's great info, thanks. I have gained the impression that Sheaffer didn't concentrate too much on flex. It scarcely matters really as that streamlined design takes to the hand so readily, they're a joy to use. Saying that, I haven't had a chance to put it through it's proper paces yet because my husband's snaffled it - "Ooooo, this is nice!". I think I may be lucky to see it again!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, balance, canada

Sponsored Content

|