Ink Sommelier Needed - Brown

Chouffleur

LIke this idea -- Ink Sommelier.

I like the ink swatches from Goulet. It gives me a good idea of the color. But shading, sheen, which I've begun to appreciate, for that I have to see a review.

I've found that while I like mid-tones and brights, I like to write with colors that are a bit darker and muted.
I've been using the Platinum mix-free inks lately so I can mix the color I think I want, and alter it to what I like to write with. I thought I wanted a lighter copper brown, but I preferred a darker redder brown.
Goulet has a sample kit. Platinum mix-free inks are dryer. No shade or sheen.

Or consider buying or trading samples of inks you're considering.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Chrissy

• catbert

• Chouffleur

Oh the long lost Sailor Brown and Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon...

+1

I am a big lover of browns.. and all murky inks... (grey-brown, green-brown, yellow-brown-green.. etc).. I like most browns.. and some I just adore..

• Noodlers - Kiowa Pecan
  • Cult Pens - Deep Dark Brown
  • Sailor Ishida Bungu - Hakodate Gagome
  • Sailor Pen and Message - Cigar
  • KWZI - Brown 4 (for a red-brown)
  • KWZI - Pink-Brown (if you are looking for something more adventurous) ;)

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I am a little surprised that Skrip Brown has not been mentioned.

Or maybe I did not see it.

It is a very well behaved ink and its price is very attractive.

Enjoy any ink you choose, whilst you get another, and another...

Cheers,

G

Gilberto Castañeda

I love brown inks.

For a simple but reliable brown, I would recommend Waterman's Absolute Brown (formerly Havana Brown). This is my go to. It has a little shading, but overall, its just a rich hue.

I have also recently discovered Noodler's Burma Road Brown, and love it. The color is lighter, and offers a grey-gold undertone.

Good luck with your search!

Now, before you read my response, understand that I am rarely helpful and even more often dangerous to the wallet.

First, "brown". What -is- brown? Is used motor oil brown? If you can convince yourself that such a thing is true, then I should be able to easily convince you that my very favorite ink is exactly what you want. And that ink is Noodler's El Lawrence, and it is "brown".

Perhaps you want more of a wood-toned brown? A lighter color? Something not quite as an apprentice to black as, say, Iroshizuku Yama-Guri?

Well then, my friend... you are wrong, and you should reconsider your choices.

I hope that helps. Very small hopes for very small helps.

Now, before you read my response, understand that I am rarely helpful and even more often dangerous to the wallet.

First, "brown". What -is- brown? Is used motor oil brown? If you can convince yourself that such a thing is true, then I should be able to easily convince you that my very favorite ink is exactly what you want. And that ink is Noodler's El Lawrence, and it is "brown".

Perhaps you want more of a wood-toned brown? A lighter color? Something not quite as an apprentice to black as, say, Iroshizuku Yama-Guri?

Well then, my friend... you are wrong, and you should reconsider your choices.

I hope that helps. Very small hopes for very small helps.

AND for those of us who like "murky colors" it can also be one of our favorite GREENS! A true "multipurpose ink.......in fact I like it because it is just "mysterious."

• 2 weeks later...

As more of a vintner than sommelier, I mix my own brown as I'm very fussy about browns. Your brown choices are quite varied. If you get hold of Noodler's Navajo Turquoise, Shah's Rose, and Yellow, you can mix browns to your heart's content.

I love:

0.5mL Noodler's Navajo Turquoise

4mL Shah's Rose

0.75mL Yellow

Creates a purple-yellow brown mid-depth sepia similar to Montblanc Sepia as viewed online. Shades beautifully. The shading is generated by the Yellow and Shah's Rose components. It's somewhat lighter and more interesting than Diamine Chocolate Brown. One of my pens is constantly inked with this mix.

If I were to compose a bright orangey-brown, I'd start with 3mL Shah's Rose, 5mL Yellow and add drop by drop of Navajo Turquoise until it reached the desired depth of colour, then alter either the Shah's Rose or Yellow to get it to a perfect preference.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Lots of mention of MB Toffee Brown. It's a very nice dark brown and I love it. If you like brown black range colors:

Omas Sepia

is also very nice. I also own a bottle of Tsukushi. Lighter brown gives it a less formal look and it is great for notes and scribble. But since Iro inks are expensive outside of Japan, I would give my vote to MB and Omas.

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite brown inks in order of performance, behavior, and overall awesomeness:

1. Montblanc Toffee Brown

2. J Herbin Lie de The

3. Noodler's Walnut (though probably too dark for your liking)

4. Noodler's Golden Brown

5. Noodler's #41 Brown

Enjoy your search!

Consider both Diamine Mozart or Bach, now they are for sale separately outside of the Diamine Music set. They are both reddish browns and that's the type I usually like.

I could use an ink sommelier too. I have one brown and another on order.

Sailor Jentle doyou might be too dark for your purposes but has redeemed an impossibly dry pen.

SBRE Brown looks like it could be a less coppery, more ancient Ancient Copper or a more burnt Burnt Siena (useful comparison of various browns on that page).

I could use an ink sommelier too. I have one brown and another on order.

Sailor Jentle doyou might be too dark for your purposes but has redeemed an impossibly dry pen.

SBRE Brown looks like it could be a less coppery, more ancient Ancient Copper or a more burnt Burnt Siena (useful comparison of various browns on that page).

Somehow SBRE Puce wouldn't have the same ring. ;-)

I have Waterman Havana Brown, Noodler's Walnut, Mont Blanc Toffee Brown, samples of browns I got from gouletpens.com sample ink sale and cartridges of J Herbin Lie de The.

The one I used most recently is the MB Toffee Brown. I put it in a Levenger True Writer with a B nib, and a Lamy Al-Star with a 1.5mm italic nib. The writing looked like two different shades of brown on Clairefontaine paper.

Noodler's Walnut is a dark brown, maybe like dark chocolate. There was some nib creep with it on a Lamy italic nib.

I haven't used any of the samples yet, so I'm not even a vintner. When I used Lie de The on a cheap kind of paper, or well absorbent at least, it was a light shade of uh, I guess brown. But as noted, not quality paper.

Do you want more photos posted to help? I might be able to post photos of writing with the two pens using MB Toffee Brown, and the Noodler's Walnut.

Posted Image

We are getting ready to do a CRV with Penman Mocha if anyone is interested in participating. Please send me a PM.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

When you go to an old-fashioned bookstore the knowledgeable salesperson asks, "Who do you like to read?" Based on that information they recommend new authors and books. These aren't necessarily their taste but rather books in line with your taste.

I'm looking for a brown ink.

I've collected a few recommendations and gone to the Goulet Pens Ink Samples site to look at them next to each other. I've looked at scans from reviews here. I'm not getting the feeling that this is a good way to choose ink samples (because I'm sold on using samples to pick inks).

So here's my taste in inks so far - Levenger's Gemstone Green, Levenger's Amethyst, and Wahlberry.

Here are the nominees so far: J Herbin Cacao de Brasil (looks dusty and grey), Diamine Burnt Sienna (looks pretty good), Diamine Ancient Copper (looks pretty good), Diamine Chocolate Brown (looks a bit too dark).

But I don't write with a Q-Tip.

The pens I will be using the brown ink you recommend in: Esterbrook LJ with 9668, 1551, and 2556 nibs (if I choose a pen whose color matches the ink color). Other possibles Esterbrook SJ with 2312 or 9450 nibs.

I'm looking for a recommendation for the two brown samples I should buy based on what you know of my (admittedly somewhat gaudy) taste. I write on index cards and nothing-special paper. My work will not need to be read by archaeologists hundreds of years from now. I don't fear tampering or water damage.

If there's a better way to choose new ink colors, please enlighten me.

If you have dip pens, I have some authentic made the way it was in the 13th century, Briste ink. It was mainly used for drawing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yama-Guri is a lovely color, but I fell hard for Sailor Bungbox Thing-of-The-Thing Eel, and now it seems to have been discontinued. I'm bereft!

I'm looking carefully at the various samples to find a substitute (there is no replacement). The Visconti Brown (AKA Sepia) looks promising. It seems to shade well. There's Diamine Rustic Brown and J. Herbin Terre de Feu.

Any other suggestions? Eel separates on Kleenex and reveals an odd little green edge that probably keeps the pink dye that stained my counter from becoming too assertive.

It's a really interesting compound. I wish they'd make more.