Red Sheaffer Admiral?

Redleg05

http://www.blutack.com/images/group.jpg

Many use products similar to above, to position/reposition correctly the object they wish to photograph.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redleg05

• Pincel

• Florida Blue

• kirchh

http://www.blutack.com/images/group.jpg

Many use products similar to above, to position/reposition correctly the object they wish to photograph.

Great suggestion. I was trying to hold a DSLR and keep them from rolling. An afterthought I had was positioning a paperclip underneath them to stop them from rolling. All I was after was a couple of quick snaps. That turned out to be harder than I thought. :)

Hmmm . . . so you found two NOS vermilion Snorkels, one with a flexible nib. I wonder what they're worth.

Edited by Robert111

Hmmm . . . so you found two NOS vermilion Snorkels, one with a flexible nib. I wonder what they're worth.

These Snorkels keep getting better and better.

There was a lot of hoopla over music nib Snorkels on eBay recently, but you don't often see flex nib ones either.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Hmmm... if I'm to sell them, quite problematic; the one with FX2 nib specially. Admiral is non-White Dot, monotone open nib, plastic cap and barrel. Not good, only the Snorkel Special sells cheaper than it. This a VERMILION, one of the desirable colours. Snorkel collecting is all about colours! This lowly Admiral carries the bragging rights than those models with better caps/trims that come in the more common colours. An ordinary Admiral sells about $50-100. The Vermillion can triple value of the pen. So, I'll sell it no less than $225.

Now the hard one, the Vermilion with flex nib. It's not so easy to come across a Sheaffer with a flex nib. They usually sell $275, most times more, specially in eB. Should one sell the other for $500 (225 plus 275)? Experience dealers and collectors know the sum of the parts is less than the whole. So, how much shall I sell it? $290.

Say this is another high cachet Snorkel, an Admiral Peacock for example. What would I do? I'll swap nibs with a black Admiral. Sell the Peacock for $225 and the black FX2 Admiral for about $275. Will this work?. Your thoughts...

These Snorkels keep getting better and better.

There was a lot of hoopla over music nib Snorkels on eBay recently, but you don't often see flex nib ones either.

Thanks! Now you know as much as I do, so I think this is it. I don't believe they'll get any better.

I don't plan on keeping them both. I will likely hang onto the Flex. I'll probably put the other up on ebay at some point and see what happens. I'd like to get the other rare colors, periwinkle in particular. Eventually I'd like one of each, even the common colors. The only other Snorkel I have is burgundy, which seems like its the most common color. I find that I am drawn to Snorkels. Keeping two vermilion Admirals even though they have different nibs just doesn't make much sense to me.

And since they're both mint, uninked examples, I'll never use them. I just can't see inking a 60-year-old mint pen. Yet another reason not to keep them both.

But I do have to say that trying that flex nib sure is tempting...

Hmmm... if I'm to sell them, quite problematic; the one with FX2 nib specially. Admiral is non-White Dot, monotone open nib, plastic cap and barrel. Not good, only the Snorkel Special sells cheaper than it. This a VERMILION, one of the desirable colours. Snorkel collecting is all about colours! This lowly Admiral carries the bragging rights than those models with better caps/trims that come in the more common colours. An ordinary Admiral sells about $50-100. The Vermillion can triple value of the pen. So, I'll sell it no less than $225.

Now the hard one, the Vermilion with flex nib. It's not so easy to come across a Sheaffer with a flex nib. They usually sell $275, most times more, specially in eB. Should one sell the other for $500 (225 plus 275)? Experience dealers and collectors know the sum of the parts is less than the whole. So, how much shall I sell it? $290.

Say this is another high cachet Snorkel, an Admiral Peacock for example. What would I do? I'll swap nibs with a black Admiral. Sell the Peacock for $225 and the black FX2 Admiral for about $275. Will this work?. Your thoughts...

Maybe, except in this case the barrel is chalked with "Flex Ex Fine" so that would be problematic if the nib didn't match. A used pen, maybe.

But I plan on keeping the flex and selling the other at some point to raise funds for another rarer Snorkel, hopefully periwinkle, though it's hard right now to let go of either. It was an exciting find, even if I didn't know it at the time. :)

Maybe, except in this case the barrel is chalked with "Flex Ex Fine" so that would be problematic if the nib didn't match. A used pen, maybe.

But I plan on keeping the flex and selling the other at some point to raise funds for another rarer Snorkel, hopefully periwinkle, though it's hard right now to let go of either. It was an exciting find, even if I didn't know it at the time. :)

Just saying that the sum of the parts is less than the whole in this case. One will get more money if you turn such into two desirable pens: A Vermillion and a Flex Ex Fine. But in this case, it's hard. Swapping nibs is not good since the Vermillion always have a matching colour section.

Oh well, good luck hunting to you.

I've found several FF3 nibs on ebay, but I've never seen an FX3. I'd say keep it and enjoy it! You've got some very nice finds there. :)

And I missed the hoopla about music nibs on ebay recently. I know there was a hoopla about 6 months ago, but recently? Links please!

And I missed the hoopla about music nibs on ebay recently. I know there was a hoopla about 6 months ago, but recently? Links please!

Sorry to disappoint, but that was the hoopla I was referring too :blush:

There is a set with an FS2 nib on eBay now with a BIN of $195, but searching the completed yields no more recent Snorkel hoopla :)

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I saw that FS2 a while ago and seriously considered buying it. I'm kind of on the fence about it though. I've got a TON of factory broad and stub triumph snorkels ... do I really need a FS2 for $256 CAD? maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe, but maybe not. :P

I saw that FS2 a while ago and seriously considered buying it. I'm kind of on the fence about it though. I've got a TON of factory broad and stub triumph snorkels ... do I really need a FS2 for $256 CAD? maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe, but maybe not. :P

It's now $259 CAD based on current exchange.

I've found several FF3 nibs on ebay, but I've never seen an FX3. I'd say keep it and enjoy it! You've got some very nice finds there. :)

Thanks! It's actually an FX2. What's the difference with the numbers? More/less flex?

And what was going on with the music nib? It was on a snorkel?

Regarding exchange rates: I was deployed with the Canadian Forces several years ago. The US and Canadian Juniors were playing for the Gold Cup in hockey. Several Canadians wanted to bet me that Canada would win. I don't bet on sports (let's just say that I'm a fan of an NFL team that has never won when I've bet on them.) So they'd say, "Let's bet $50." I replied (I was the only American there), "What's that in American? A dollar?" Needless to say that went over well...

Anyway, we made a different bet: I had to sing "Oh, Canada" in the Officer's Mess if Canada won. They had to sing "America the Beautiful" if the US won. Canada took a 2-0 lead and I got razzed pretty good. I managed to croak, "It isn't over yet." The US came back and won 3-2. I should have taken the money. It was the worst rendition I'd ever heard and almost cleared out the Officer's Mess.

But it was wonderful at the same time. :)

I ended up having to sing "Oh, Canada" later after losing a pool tournament to the Canadian Adjutant. After, a Canadian colonel came up and said it almost made him cry. I'm sure it was because it was such a heart-rending interpretation. That's been my story since.

Thanks! It's actually an FX2. What's the difference with the numbers? More/less flex?

F = flexible

X = eXtra fine

2 = 14k open nib

The 5 above FX2 on your pen's nib could be ignored. Just a hold over from Sheaffer's older stamping method. They forgot or didn't bother removing it.

No, it's not a "a closed nib, like a Triumph."

3 - 14 karat two-toned palladium masked open nib

4 - Palladium-silver Triumph

5 - 14 karat two-toned palladium masked Triumph

6 - Palladium-silver open nib

When I was new to this, I always thought "2" is a smaller nib than a 3, 4, 5 ... Oh well, that's another nib numbering system (according to size). It's easy to get confused.

No, it's not a "a closed nib, like a Triumph."

3 - 14 karat two-toned palladium masked open nib

4 - Palladium-silver Triumph

5 - 14 karat two-toned palladium masked Triumph

6 - Palladium-silver open nib

When I was new to this, I always thought "2" is a smaller nib than a 3, 4, 5 ... Oh well, that's another nib numbering system (according to size). It's easy to get confused.

Um, I never thought that... OK, maybe I did. :)

It's confusing enough to try to learn all of the Sheaffer's models from this period. It seems like the nib numbering system somewhat follows the same logic though, albeit a little out of order to how the pens were upgraded (#6).

Thank you for this information. I feel like I'm cramming for finals. There's a lot to take in.