Red Sheaffer Admiral?

Redleg05

Hi,

I'm new to the hobby. I just bought two Sheaffer Admiral pens. (I know they are because one appears to be new and says "Admiral" and $10.00" on the barrel.)

In researching the color, it doesn't appear they made one in this color, a bright red. I found this on another part of FPN:

"Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral 1952-1959 NO dot
Admiral - Open 14 karat gold nib, plastic cap and barrel, gold-filled clip stamped "SHEAFFER'S", and 1/4" wide gold-filled cap band. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion (a tangerine), and sage green. The Snorkel Admiral pen sold for US $10.00 in 1957."

I've attached some photos, and any help would be much appreciated. I hope I didn't get ripped off.

Thank you!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redleg05

• Pincel

• Florida Blue

• kirchh

It's Vermilion (note spelling).

-Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Thank you. I searched around some places like ebay and didn't see any, so that's why I got concerned that I'd made a mistake buying them.

Thank you. I searched around some places like ebay and didn't see any, so that's why I got concerned that I'd made a mistake buying them.

Consider yourself very lucky. The Vermilion is one of the most sought Snorkel colours.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

Consider yourself very lucky. The Vermilion is one of the most sought Snorkel colours.

+1 Indeed!

You did very well with you purchase. Your eBay search probably didn't yield much because Vermilion Snorkels were not made in large numbers.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

+1 Indeed!

You did very well with you purchase. Your eBay search probably didn't yield much because Vermilion Snorkels were not made in large numbers.

...and he got TWO (2)!!!

Vermilion is found only in non-White Dot models. It should have a matching colour section. It is said to be even more scarce than the Fiesta and the Mandarin.

Edited by Haribon

Wow, thank you all for the info. I just thought they looked cool.

I ordered a bunch of books on fountain pen collecting but they haven't arrived yet. I saw one Parker Vacumatic pen at an antique shop while on vacation a few months ago and passed on it. It was $65 (firm!), more than I felt comfortable gambling with.

I now know it was that Golden Web pattern and was probably a huge bargain. I watched one on ebay and it went for over $250. Way too far away to go back, and I called them. They won't ship if it's still there, and won't look to see. I guess the rule is if you think it's cool just buy it. ;/

I have a lot to learn.

...and he got TWO (2)!!!

Vermilion is found only in non-White Dot models. It should have a matching colour section. It is said to be even more scarce than the Fiesta and the Mandarin.

A follow-on question: looking through ebay I don't see other Admirals with the matching color section. All the other colors seem to be only black.

Is this the only one with a matching color section?

Thank you again for the great info! And thanks for relieving my anxiety.

A follow-on question: looking through ebay I don't see other Admirals with the matching color section. All the other colors seem to be only black.

Is this the only one with a matching color section?

Thank you again for the great info! And thanks for relieving my anxiety.

No, I have a Black Admiral and section matches. ( :

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/vAsAAOSwv0tVJuXQ/$_1.JPG

Snorkel Admiral with matching section.

Seriously, when the hard to find colours came out, they all have matching sections (Fern, Fiesta, Vermilion, Periwinkle). Peacock and Mandarin are only found with black sections.

Edited by Haribon

No, I have a Black Admiral and section matches. ( :

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/vAsAAOSwv0tVJuXQ/$_1.JPG

Snorkel Admiral with matching section.

Seriously, when the hard to find colours came out, they all have matching sections (Fern, Fiesta, Vermilion, Periwinkle). Peacock and Mandarin are only found with black sections.

Great. I can see now I'll have to have one of each with matching sections. I love those 1950s colors. I always have. I'll start with black. :)

Oh well, pens are cheaper than 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air convertibles, so I suppose I should be grateful I like pens and not cars. Pens are easier to store as well.

So after a while Sheaffer just switched to black sections for all colors, or are the ones I see in those rarer colors with black sections "Frankenpens"? Or did they just run with what they had?

This is interesting stuff. I hope some of the books I ordered get into things like this.

So after a while Sheaffer just switched to black sections for all colors, or are the ones I see in those rarer colors with black sections "Frankenpens"? Or did they just run with what they had?

Sheaffer came out with a series of new colors for the Snorkel, that included Vermilion, in 1956. Some of these later Snorkels, and especially in the new colors, had matching sections, but not always. For whatever reason, the newer colors were not produced in the same numbers as the original colors and are much more uncommon.

Enjoy your new finds and good luck hunting for more!

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Sheaffer came out with a series of new colors for the Snorkel, that included Vermilion, in 1956. Some of these later Snorkels, and especially in the new colors, had matching sections, but not always. For whatever reason, the newer colors were not produced in the same numbers as the original colors and are much more uncommon.

Enjoy your new finds and good luck hunting for more!

Thank you. The hunt seems to be half the fun. :)

And thank you, and the others who repied, for the information. I'm guessing I'll have other questions along the way. It seems I got to the fountain pen collecting dance late.

A few updated photos for anyone interested. One of the nibs is a Flex, marked "FX2."

I had to loosen the flex to get the chalk so I could photo it. It closes as it should.

Edited by Redleg05

I had to loosen the flex to get the chalk so I could photo it.

Mm...what's that, now?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

Mm...what's that, now?

--Daniel

In the photo of both of them (fifth photo), the flex cap is loosened to hold the chalking in place so I could photograph it. It makes it look as though the cap is separated from the barrel, or that there is some issue with it. It isn't, and there isn't. Sorry I wasn't more clear. :)

In the photo of both of them (fifth photo), the flex cap is loosened to hold the chalking in place so I could photograph it. It makes it look as though the cap is separated from the barrel, or that there is some issue with it. It isn't, and there isn't. Sorry I wasn't more clear. :)

I think we have a terminological confusion. "Flex" refers to a characteristic of the nib -- it's flexible, as opposed to stiff. There's no such thing as a "flex cap."

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

I think we have a terminological confusion. "Flex" refers to a characteristic of the nib -- it's flexible, as opposed to stiff. There's no such thing as a "flex cap."

--Daniel

OK, what I intended then was "the cap of the flex." Thanks for the correction.