Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is very dry I assume?

I tinkered mine by making it wetter but it just doesn't appease me. More like the feed issue to me though rather than the nib.

It is very dry I assume?

I tinkered mine by making it wetter but it just doesn't appease me. More like the feed issue to me though rather than the nib.

Yes, but my work with a brass shim between the tines and between the nib and feed now has it writing pretty well. I also buffed the nib a bit to smooth it out.

• 1 month later...

Just to show how anything goes, yes there is a tactical pen clone of the Safari ... actually quite a number of them, from Steel to Titanium to straight copy of the Al-Star ; this one here is 6061 T4 and at least some extra added to the body, come with extra section to hold a Gel Pen refill had O ring seal on the section that's now hidden under the barrel / section mating thread, O ring seal also at the capping thread and the window breaker end, I had fashion a Lamy F nib onto it , look that bit meaner and its writing a bit Asian FM ( more leaning to M but not quite there )

fpn_1563773482__tactical-safari.jpg

My Moonman M600S arrived today. Has a medium nib, and inked with Noodler's Walnut. Did quite a

bit of writing in my Prayer Journal this afternoon, and toroughly enjoyed this Moonman. Somewhat of

a military-type look. The staff at the Post Office wanted to hold onto my new pen acquisition!! :rolleyes:

fpn_1563849836__moonman_m600s72219.jpg

Tactical Safari....how ugly but interesting haha. I saw so many of those tactical pens with ballpoints in China, but never a fountain pen version.

Just to show how anything goes, yes there is a tactical pen clone of the Safari ... actually quite a number of them, from Steel to Titanium to straight copy of the Al-Star ; this one here is 6061 T4 and at least some extra added to the body, come with extra section to hold a Gel Pen refill had O ring seal on the section that's now hidden under the barrel / section mating thread, O ring seal also at the capping thread and the window breaker end, I had fashion a Lamy F nib onto it , look that bit meaner and its writing a bit Asian FM ( more leaning to M but not quite there )

fpn_1563773482__tactical-safari.jpg

Moonman really is making a name for themselves, aren't they? That is a beautiful pen!! My fountain pens also get the most work in my morning prayer journals....they are a perfect match for it!

My Moonman M600S arrived today. Has a medium nib, and inked with Noodler's Walnut. Did quite a

bit of writing in my Prayer Journal this afternoon, and toroughly enjoyed this Moonman. Somewhat of

a military-type look. The staff at the Post Office wanted to hold onto my new pen acquisition!! :rolleyes:

fpn_1563849836__moonman_m600s72219.jpg

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

one of those rare to be seen outside of China mid range workhorse Hero , here is my Hero 3081 ; it looks impressive on the photo but its actually a tiny bit slimmer and slightly shorter than the 616 , with a sort of hooded standard no.5 ( aka type 26 ) two tone nib which as typical of Hero today write a wet FM ; its sort of the style like the old Aurora 98 / Duocart. The pen is all brass , lacquered black , section also with a single trim ring serving as the clutch to the snap on cap which had a plain top polished gold plated button jewel ; and of course that wide center band which had the Hero logo and model number on one side and the Doctor ( a Hero sub brand ) motif on the other. This model had been on the catalog for years , my older sample is a 2012 manufactured sample and this one is a 2018 manufactured one and AFAIK its still on the catalog. To actually enjoy some of the for real Chinese fountain pen I always recommend people to look for these mid range Hero which might be priced somewhere like YMB50.00 to say 250.00 ; that include pretty much all the non school / non vintage models and the better steel and 10K gold nib models

48360777562_b6cb2d15a1_k.jpgHero 3081, on Flickr

Natami Inception - F. nib. Ink: Akkerman Rood Pluche. My Natami Inception arrived today from Bobby.

The color reminds me of my Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. Cap band, clip, ring at the top of the section and

nib are rose gold in color. Nib is smooth with some feedback. Might consider just a bit of micromesh.

Both body and cap are smoothly, multi-faceted. Section is not faceted. Screw cap, with smooth threads.

Top of body does not have the usual FP finial; is rounded, with evidence of very small molding indent,

For the money, this pen is well made, and has the look of a more costly FP. Cap finial has an inner

lining. Though my hands are small, prefer writing with this pen capped. Capping requires a bit of careful

placing. Nib size - 5+. Engraved on nib: Natami - The Flight of Time. Not a wet nib. Wide cap band

with Flight of Time" 1919 engraved on it. Clip is snug, and will fit on a shirt pocket without any trouble..

BODY LENGTH: From nib to top of body - 4 3/4"

CAP LENGTH: 2 1/2"

LENGTH CAPPED: 6 1/2"

fpn_1563991822__natamiinception72419.jpg

• 1 month later...

The big brother of the Wing Sung 500 , and here it is , the vintage Wing Sung 550 , often in its home market referred to as the " Angel Wing " referencing its clip design; just like the 500 it uses a Parker 75 style nib thin stem but then its got a different stem feed which is not interchangeable with the 500 and is whole lot more secure ; it was marketed mid to late 90's and was initially offered with a 12K gold nib, then a TigP plated gold colour steel ; this sample here I have is of the Silver Plated finishing and had a retrofitted EF nib ( easily identifiable by its being polished steel instead of gold colour but was never offered as an option, & can only be had as repair / service item ) , old Wing Sung C/C standard which mean you can practically use international C/C on it. Other than the shown one, it can also be had in Charcoal Grey finishing ( same surface pattern finishing ) , Matt Black , Black Lacquered, and a rather scarce brushed steel ... this EF nib tend to write really dry and its a god send if you had a wet runny ink

45551296252_abb70f6047_k.jpgWing Sung 550 Silver Plated retrofitted with an EF nib, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

My new "Star Blue" Moonman M600S.

This is the "show":

a3PnNpg.jpg?1

and this is the "tell":

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• 2 weeks later...

The vintage Wing Sung 322 with the small version of the Triumph Nib is not exactly not known around this forum's regulars , but most are having either the typical plastic / flighter variant or the Celluloid barrel version , which are all of the regular / mid range among the range of this model , the top end of the 322 is actually the 322 LUX model which can be had with gold plated guilloché , charcoal grey finished guilloché , and brushed steel ; this version of the 322 differs from the nominal version by having gold plated appointments including a different clip / finale , added thin cap band, & section end trim ring, and a two tone nib instead of the TigP or Polished steel. It do retain the same fixed aerometric filling 322 Lux and 322 section / cap do not interchange

48646656872_183d844135_k.jpgWing Sung 322 Lux, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 3 weeks later...

The Dagger Nib pioneered and used by Hero ( and some others ) is an off beat one ; its seen on the 221 and the 443 but also Hero had them in a more up market variant in the form of Hero 348 ; which had the arrow clip, gold plated trim, and come in a variety of finish, this is the pattered matt finish in read and purple, this finish can also be had in denim blue ; its not very apparent on the photo but the cap finale is slanted with the legend ; Hero emblem and model number there. The 348 unusually come with a nib that's more like an M than a F, it use still the same section / filling from the 443.

48766875116_67c399defb_k.jpgHero 348, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Another vintage 1990's model that's best describe as a slightly upmarket from the economy starter mid range workhorse type,; Gui-Guan 229 use the same nib / feed as the more up market 250 series but house it in just plain plastic black section , with a simple tapered all brush steel snap cap construction and simple chromed trim , it take .. da da ... standard C/C ( and I mean the international standard ) it come standard with an aerometric converter but you can find yourself a current ( but need to be slim ) screw type to work it , its a surprisingly good consistent writer ; one can still on and off find them NOS and the price is usually quite affordable ( around the same as a new Hero 616 ). Gui-Guan used to made some of the best and usable fountain pens in their days ( 1990's )

48646657477_a2fa9fbe9b_k.jpgGuiGuan 229, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

JInhao 9035 arrived a couple of days ago, same no.6 nib , slightly chubby section in metal, not small but not large either, could be a candidate for those who would prefer something lighter than the 159 but still relatively thick

fpn_1571902959__j9035.jpg

Something a little different. I recently acquired this pen and love it lots. But I have little love for the stock Chinese Fine nibs. I found this spare Pelikan Medium nib and it's a perfect fit.

post-120079-0-05367200-1572132973_thumb.jpg

post-120079-0-42511300-1572132988_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Something a little different. I recently acquired this pen and love it lots. But I have little love for the stock Chinese Fine nibs. I found this spare Pelikan Medium nib and it's a perfect fit.

Nicely done Ian

the vintage Wing Sung no.6 14K nib had seems to be taken a favor among many fellow members on this forum ; though it can be had and used on the current 698 & 626 and hack onto some others. the nib was originally designed to fit on a number of vintage Wing Sung 200X models and the nib profile and shape is basically taken off an old nib the Mfr had since pre war years in the 1930's. most 200X series are real heavy brass construction with equally heavy lacquered or plated finishing .. making them rather unsuited as carry around day to day tool , but then there's always an exception ..

introducing here vintage 1990's , the ( relatively ) slim , lightweight , mid range , workhorse , among the vintage Wing Sung 200X series ; the Wing Sung / Lucky 2003 , its a C/C filler in injection acrylic construction with a slip on clutched cap ( you can call it a snap on ) ; C/C filling ( old Wing Sung standard which means practically international standard ) come pre installed an aerometric converter ; almost always sold with a TigP gold coloured steel EF nib but in rare case can be found then with the 14K nib. shown below is the version in plain black , maroon , and black with gold plated cap , can also be had in a very 1990'rish flocked finish in multiple colours. this is definitely one of the most usable day to day vintage Wing Sung that one can had , especially if you prefer a smooth EF which this steel version of the nib tend to give. NOS stock of this pen can often be found still though not all the colour options. It can usually be found with the shown LUCKY branding but also in home market version with Wing Sung branding

49028118967_9c5028c415_k.jpgWing Sung 2003 vintage mid 1990's, on Flickr

some measurements

Weight

20g / 23g ( plated cap version )

12g ( without cap )

Girth

12.5mm at the barrel widest

11.4mm at the section top & tapered down to

8.3mm at the nib end trim ring

14.5mm at the cap ring

Length

142mm capped

124mm uncapped ( including nib )

160mm posted

Edited by Mech-for-i

How did you remove the Pelikan nib?

I was trying to pull out mine but it doesn't want to budge at all

Nice combination! Is it a M200 nib?