Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

The Taiji has been available to the west on AliExpress for a few weeks, but the price was too high to take a punt on it, as I hadn't heard anything about it. If you search AliExpress for "N9 Chinese Style Tai Chi Iridium Gold Pen Business" it should come up.

Forgot totally about AliExpress but at $60? The price is too high for me to take a risk.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well I actually did purchase a N9 Taiji quite a few months ago but ultimately gifted it to one of my colleagues who are more interested in its , well , fashion appeal. I am not really impressed by the design. The nib is decent , and the section actually feel good but the overall shape and ergonomics is not really that good and the step down on it is a killer I had to agree with that. I've also try the other model in the range. They are IMHO not bad pen , just not really anything really excite nor disappoint. And then there are equally good pen from the like of many other brand that are just either more interesting, more affordable, better ergonomically speaking, and generally better looking and in many case all of the mentioned.

They should really fellow Kaco and M&G and price the pen accordingly instead I should wager

In short another decent entry workhorse pen , its a yes, but priced for its fashion and designer namesake than anything ; its fast becoming a norm among so many fountain pen newly coming onto the market, Chinese and elsewhere too.

Mech, your experience makes the n9 Taiji sound like a pen designed by people skilled in design who are not pen people, or who conducted inadequate research.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

They should really fellow Kaco and M&G and price the pen accordingly instead I should wager.

Kaco is to be applauded for their use of unique designs that are also very practical. I have a Sky and Edge and really enjoy both. It would just be nice if they could make their own nibs as well.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

In short another decent entry workhorse pen , its a yes, but priced for its fashion and designer namesake than anything ; its fast becoming a norm among so many fountain pen newly coming onto the market, Chinese and elsewhere too.

If they are to target younger audiences, this is the way to go.

Sleek, fresh and variety of color scheme. Oh and no gold trims!

Kaco is to be applauded for their use of unique designs that are also very practical. I have a Sky and Edge and really enjoy both. It would just be nice if they could make their own nibs as well.

They are a brand worthy of following I believe, if they increase the price with the creation of their own nibs then I would rather prefer them to keep using the Schmidt nibs.

Edited by penzel_washinkton

32424932358_b6b05656e0_k.jpgLuoshi 237 circa early 90s, on Flickr

Luoshi 237 was marketed circa early 90s as then one of their better up market model, full metal construction, brass barrel, on this one Blue-Black lacquered, also come in classic Dark Burgundy & plain classic Black lacquered. Gold plated finish on section and cap, which the latter having a functional ball clip and snap to cap and snap to post ( top heavy though ), it use Luoshi's own production of Hero's dagger nib but utilize their own different, much chunkier, squared off, and better buffered feed and this actually come in ebonite; it writes a standard Fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading this thread and realized that while we talk about the Wolff 186 a bit we had not actually shown it except for Seele's Video so I figure I would contribute; here's the less common sparkling Gun Grey Lacquered version of the 186 and the 186+286 set , the 286 is a slightly shorter, slightly slimmer version of the 186 with same pen parts but a push fit snap cap

31371141497_b6eb997301_k.jpgWolff 186 Gun Grey Lacquered, on Flickr

44534061170_06c78797a0_k.jpgWolff 186 + 286 set, on Flickr

and here's Seele's Video

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 2 weeks later...

Despite looking very much 1970's / 80's the Hero 442 was actually a mid to late 1990's production model, with a rather nicely satin gold finished slip on cap

, fixed aerometric filling, 5mm feed and nib ( not no.5 )in typical green, maroon, and the usual black .. similar styled pen was also produced by Jinxing ( Golden Star ) with their model 704

45470179045_54b8d0644b_k.jpgHero 442, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

The PenBBS 355 seems a hot topic and the good old syringe filler get people interested again .. so I figure I show my other vintage syringe filler. Previously I've shown the Rainow 302 pocket fountain pen on this thread already and the inner working is pretty much the same for this other one.

Here's the Ta Tung 717 vintage early 80's , just like the Rainbow it's got a long blind cap to house the syringe piston. Unlike the Rainbow though it use standard 4mm ebonite feed and a rather slender no.4 nib with nice stamping. The pen is also larger pretty much same size as the Hero 616 Small. Repeatably its a smooth writer ( mine write smooth enough ) and a success as an export model. It was discontinued late 1980's. Some time the pen would be referred to as Wing Sung - Ta Tun 717 as the Wing Sung brand was responsible for the actual manufacturing of the pen and there are known variant of the pen OEM / to be manufactured by local 2nd tier Mfr and those would shown with a different ( usually plain ) nib stamping The 3 colours shown is the 3 colours on offer

45743768875_e9fb7e21c5_k.jpgTa Tung 717, on Flickr

fpn_1547215416__tt717mechanism.jpgthe brand name Ta Tung in Chinese is stamped inside the laurel on the nib and under it is the 3 text which stated iridium pointed nib

Edited by Mech-for-i

Hello,

happy new year to everyone.

Inked up my Hero 1515 today with Pelikan 4001.

Thanks for watching and sharing!!!

MontPelikan

Edited by MontPelikan

I just wanted to show off some of my Chinese pens. I know they're not high-end, but I do enjoy them. I'm a novice collector on a budget. I've dabbled with more expensive American and European pens, but I'm not experienced enough to see any appreciable improvements in quality. My Chinese pens have never failed me!

Top row is all Jinhao. Bottom row has a few Baoer and Dukes. Not pictured are my Heros (to include a Hero 100 #PH100R). My favorite is the Hero 616. I use them daily and absolutely swear by them.

How can you not like a pen named the Uranus Fat Boy! :lticaptd:

post-120147-0-80180300-1547733373_thumb.jpg

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p573/RalphFarfegnugen/Knights%20of%20the%20Platypus%201_zpsoyh43pda.png

est. yesterday

I just wanted to show off some of my Chinese pens. I know they're not high-end, but I do enjoy them. I'm a novice collector on a budget. I've dabbled with more expensive American and European pens, but I'm not experienced enough to see any appreciable improvements in quality. My Chinese pens have never failed me!

Top row is all Jinhao. Bottom row has a few Baoer and Dukes. Not pictured are my Heros (to include a Hero 100 #PH100R). My favorite is the Hero 616. I use them daily and absolutely swear by them.

How can you not like a pen named the Uranus Fat Boy! :lticaptd:

Nice to find someone who enjoys their Chinese fountain pens! Like yourself, I've discovered that most of my Chinese pens are very reliable, and have not failed me. Quite a few of them write as smoothly as my more expensive pens, particularly the Picasso 915 & Kaigelu 316 (not pictured) Smoothing nibs helps to improve the writing experience with these pens. The Chinese pens allow us, who are on budgets, to enjoy the FP experience; and, have fun delighting in all of the fabulous ink colors. If I am not happy with a nib, I will swap another #5 or #6. Here are two snaps which represent approximately 70% of all my Chinese pens:

SNAP 1: TOP - Hero, Hua Hong, Jinhao X750, Duke P3, Fuliwen, Duke, Jinhao Centuries,

Jinhao 3000, Duke Bamboo, Baoer 8 Horses, Jinhao 992

BOTTOM - Jinhao 159 (6), Picasso, Duke, Picasso, Duke, Kaigelu, Jinhao. Hero, HRE 9096

SNAP 2: TOP: - Jinhao 250s, Kaigelu 368, Jinhao 189, Duke, Bookman,

two Jinhao (Cherry blossoms & Wood), Crocodile, Jinhao X450s

BOTTOM - Jinhao X450s, Picasso 915, Jinhao X750 (9) with Goulet 1.1 stubs.

fpn_1547752452__chinese_pens_11719a.jpg

fpn_1547764042__chinese_pens_11719b.jpg

Not pictured are my Heros (to include a Hero 100 #PH100R). My favorite is the Hero 616. I use them daily and absolutely swear by them.

Have you tried the new 616 Plus with cartridge/converter system? If you like the 616 design, you might like the Plus even more. All the problems I had with the old 616s (to be fair, I think most of those I bought were fakes) were solved with the 616 Plus. I especially like being able to pull out the converter and fully flush the pen with a bulb syringe.

Nice to find someone who enjoys their Chinese fountain pens! Like yourself, I've discovered that most of my Chinese pens are very reliable, and have not failed me. Quite a few of them write as smoothly as my more expensive pens, particularly the Picasso 915 & Kaigelu 316 (not pictured) Smoothing nibs helps to improve the writing experience with these pens. The Chinese pens allow us, who are on budgets, to enjoy the FP experience; and, have fun delighting in all of the fabulous ink colors. If I am not happy with a nib, I will swap another #5 or #6. Here are two snaps which represent approximately 70% of all my Chinese pens:

SNAP 1: TOP - Hero, Hua Hong, Jinhao X750, Duke P3, Fuliwen, Duke, Jinhao Centuries,

Jinhao 3000, Duke Bamboo, Baoer 8 Horses, Jinhao 992

BOTTOM - Jinhao 159 (6), Picasso, Duke, Picasso, Duke, Kaigelu, Jinhao. Hero, HRE 9096

SNAP 2: TOP: - Jinhao 250s, Kaigelu 368, Jinhao 189, Duke, Bookman,

two Jinhao (Cherry blossoms & Wood), Crocodile, Jinhao X450s

BOTTOM - Jinhao X450s, Picasso 915, Jinhao X750 (9) with Goulet 1.1 stubs.

A Goulet 1.1 stub in a Jinhao X750 was what led me down the endless rabbit hole of inexpensive but decent Chinese fountain pens. The X750 eventually started leaking out the section, but I just replaced it with another and the Goulet nib is still going strong 5 years later.

I've been pondering a Picasso 915 for a while, but am concerned it might be too hefty for me. How does it's weight compare to some other pens like Jinhao X750 or 992? I've definitely ruled out the Kaigelu 316 for weight reasons.

A Goulet 1.1 stub in a Jinhao X750 was what led me down the endless rabbit hole of inexpensive but decent Chinese fountain pens. The X750 eventually started leaking out the section, but I just replaced it with another and the Goulet nib is still going strong 5 years later.

I've been pondering a Picasso 915 for a while, but am concerned it might be too hefty for me. How does it's weight compare to some other pens like Jinhao X750 or 992? I've definitely ruled out the Kaigelu 316 for weight reasons.

The Picasso 915 is a hefty pen.- weight: 52 grams capped - 28 grams uncapped. Length: uncapped 5"; capped 6 3/4". I write with it uncapped, and find no problem with its uncapped weight. I stand 5 ft. tall, with size 6 1/2 size glove hand. I love writing letters with this pen; and occasionally some homework, etc. It is an absolutely lovely pen - the rose red one with gold tone furnishings is rather stunning. Walked into the Post Office with it, and two of the employees were grabbing for it. Had that same experience when I wentto pay my electric bill, and pulled it out to write a check.. It was one of Ian the Jock's favorites (miss him much). Hope that helps?

Jinhao X750 - capped 34 grams - 22 grams uncapped.

Jinhao 992 (plastic) - 16 grams. (use this pen during class/church. If I lose it no sweat)

Kaigelu 316 - capped 44 grams - uncapped 30 grams. .

The Picasso 915 is a hefty pen.- weight: 52 grams capped - 28 grams uncapped. Length: uncapped 5"; capped 6 3/4". I write with it uncapped, and find no problem with its uncapped weight. I stand 5 ft. tall, with size 6 1/2 size glove hand. I love writing letters with this pen; and occasionally some homework, etc. It is an absolutely lovely pen - the rose red one with gold tone furnishings is rather stunning. Walked into the Post Office with it, and two of the employees were grabbing for it. Had that same experience when I wentto pay my electric bill, and pulled it out to write a check.. It was one of Ian the Jock's favorites (miss him much). Hope that helps?

Jinhao X750 - capped 34 grams - 22 grams uncapped.

Jinhao 992 (plastic) - 16 grams. (use this pen during class/church. If I lose it no sweat)

Kaigelu 316 - capped 44 grams - uncapped 30 grams. .

Extremely helpful info. Thanks so much!

I've been eyeing the red one for over a year, but was concerned about the heft. 28g and 5" uncapped may just barely work for me. In the past I've gotten insane hand cramps from writing over an hour with an X750, so a 915 would probably only work for shorter writing sessions (which are most of them anyway).

Have you tried the new 616 Plus with cartridge/converter system? If you like the 616 design, you might like the Plus even more. All the problems I had with the old 616s (to be fair, I think most of those I bought were fakes) were solved with the 616 Plus. I especially like being able to pull out the converter and fully flush the pen with a bulb syringe.

Wait.... what?! There are counterfeit 616s?

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p573/RalphFarfegnugen/Knights%20of%20the%20Platypus%201_zpsoyh43pda.png

est. yesterday

I just ordered a blue and a pink...I'm in so much trouble. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have a blue and a pink 616+ - *very* nice pens, especially for the price! I was never a fan of the aerometric converters in the original 616 - so the converter makes a big difference. Better fit and finish too - and mine both wrote very nicely (a fairly fine line) straight out of the packaging (once I'd inserted ink that is...).