Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

I had a closer look at the PenBBS nib in my 308 and guess it is a little different. The tipping ascends slightly. But without knowing that, I didn't find any issues in writing western languages. And, sadly, it does nothing to improve my Chinese characters.

Slow writing with a soft pencil is what my Chinese teacher has prescribed for my penmanship haha.

Still, I have to go back to the fountain pen whenever no one is looking.

Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you get to read this at this late date. I want to swap a cheap pilot nib into a wing sung 698. I was thinking of a pilot varsity. I know that wing sungs are #5 nibs. Does anyone know the nib size, #5 or less of the cheap pilot nibs, varsity, plumix, kakuno?

I hope you get to read this at this late date. I want to swap a cheap pilot nib into a wing sung 698. I was thinking of a pilot varsity. I know that wing sungs are #5 nibs. Does anyone know the nib size, #5 or less of the cheap pilot nibs, varsity, plumix, kakuno?

The Wing Sung 698 nibs aren't standard #5 nibs, but share the same design with the nibs for Pilot Plumix, 78g, Penmanship, Metropolitan, and Kakuno. The Varsity in my memory has a totally different nib that can't be removed or swapped with other Pilot nibs.

There's no better way to start the weekend then with the arrival of a beautiful pen!

Wow, this pen is even more stunning that the photos. I had wanted to get the dark blue version (translates to "Galaxy," I guess), but that sold out long ago.

This was the only single (i.e., not gradient) solid color (i.e., not demonstrator) with the flecked acrylic that I could find left. The Chinese name for this color, "South Sea," describes this turquoise-leaning sea blue perfectly. It reminds me of the color of the water around Hainan Island in south China (China's version of Hawaii) on my honeymoon.

Appearance aside, the nib on mine is absolutely fantastic (which makes me believe that the unusably dry nib on my 308 was just a dud). It is very smooth but with just enough feedback on cheap paper to make it really enjoyable for writing Chinese characters. This pen is actually going to kick my Platinum 3776 soft fine out of the EDC bag as my daily pen for Chinese writing. Although the 309's nib is a nail, the tactile feedback makes it so nice to write with. Probably anyone who doesn't require buttery smooth nibs would love this nib.

fpn_1526087871__penbbs_309_01.jpg

fpn_1526088349__penbbs_309_02.jpg

fpn_1526088375__penbbs_309_03.jpg

That is a beauty!

Good you got a good nib with it. Beats having to swap one in if you like the one you have.

Totally Jeally right now lol.

Oh it's semi-translucent, too?!? Totally Jeally.

That is a beauty!

Good you got a good nib with it. Beats having to swap one in if you like the one you have.

Totally Jeally right now lol.

Oh it's semi-translucent, too?!? Totally Jeally.

Yeah, if this pen were sold by any Western FP brand it would easily go for four times more than I paid for it.

I really hope Penbbs will produce another batch with these unique colors.

I think I got lucky with the nib on this one. A couple hours after this package arrived my Wing Sung 601 followed. The stock nib on that pen is another story altogether....the scratchy side of scratchiness!

TruthPil, that's such a gorgeous finish. You did good snatching one while you still could!

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Yeah, if this pen were sold by any Western FP brand it would easily go for four times more than I paid for it.

I really hope Penbbs will produce another batch with these unique colors.

I think I got lucky with the nib on this one. A couple hours after this package arrived my Wing Sung 601 followed. The stock nib on that pen is another story altogether....the scratchy side of scratchiness!

That was my experience with the Wing Sung 618 that arrived with my 309; a trouble some nib and then the finial came loose and could never retighten it. I called it a loss and threw it away, turned to my PenBBS and thought, 'this is more than good enough.'..

Then FPR had a sale and now I have an Ebonite Triveni Jr on the way.

I do see myself ordering another 309 in the future.

UOedmmE.jpg

LIY Future in Coral Blue. Lovely material

Gorgeous! I've been thinking about getting one of these in the same color.

How does the section feel? I'm concerned that the step between section and barrel might be a little uncomfortably sharp.

Even though my fingers tend to fall directly on that step, I don't find it sharp or uncomfortable. YMMV, of course. I like the model enough that I'm probably going to get one or two of the other finishes.

Even though my fingers tend to fall directly on that step, I don't find it sharp or uncomfortable. YMMV, of course. I like the model enough that I'm probably going to get one or two of the other finishes.

Thanks for answering my question. I spent today writing with my Live In You MiTu which uses the same size Schmidt nib unit (just gold plated) and the nib is wonderfully wet and smooth. The only thing I don't like about the MiTu is the thin section, which seems to be totally solved with the Future.

If the nib feels as glassy smooth as on the MiTu, then I definitely need to grab one of these the next time they're on sale.

fpn_1527016523__mech_20180522_1622031.jp

While the hooded nib certainly made most of the lot during the years before the Y2K, there is another pretty common one too, namely a simply open nib model pretty much patterned against pre war button filler, as typified by the Gold Star 26 / 28 ( aka Hero 856 ) but since the 50's the styling got somewhat modernized ( sort of like Parker UK Duofold New Standard going from the button filler style to a more modern one ). Almost each and every Mfr had a model this way, usually aerometric filling fixed, screw in cap , a simple open nib of no.4 / 4.5 or sometime no.5 sized. The variety is quite astonishing as there were models that are literally kid's school pen all the way to mid / high end one that use gold nib.

And here's the very late model Wing Sung 62, one of a prime sample of this kind of pens , manufactured late 80s all the way to earl 90s , double jewel ( always black ) on tassie ring. single simple cap band ( for trim more than for function ), this is the bright red one, and this model can be had with this color or Burgundy, Dark Blue, Sky Blue, Military Field Green, Bright Grass Green, and Biege Sand. This one I had the original nib replaced with a current Hero nib of the same size. The original nib is EF and a nail.

27414553457_d58b8b0ae8_k.jpgWing Sung 62, on Flickr

My latest haul ; a PenBBS 309-42SF Bamboo Moon ( pale blue ) and the 308-8GF Strawberry Ice ( with gold plated appointment ), and guess what - I ordered a batch of plastic eyedropper for my hobby work, only 50 ea. of 0.5ml and 1.0ml but the seller ship me 4400 x 2ml ; yes you are not hearing it wrong, I got 44 packet of 100pc of these. Now I got to figure out what should I do with them, and I still need those 0.5ml and 1ml for my scale modelling paints ... Ahhhh ....

40955082414_2923956ea4_k.jpgPenBBS 309 Bamboo Moon and 308 Strawberry Ice - gold plated appointment by Mech for i, on Flickr

The light blue pen looks so pretty! I wish they would still sell this pen in this colour.

The light blue pen looks so pretty! I wish they would still sell this pen in this colour.

Seriously! It's all sold out in China as well. :crybaby:

Wing Sung 618 '' Black/Transparent '' and '' Red/Transparent '' .

post-134601-0-81261900-1527579998_thumb.jpg

post-134601-0-93068300-1527580011_thumb.jpg

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

These show up yesterday late afternoon : I though I would share .. Moonman M5 in Ebony ; Fuliwan 016 Sceptre in 海棠 ( Malus spectabilis ) ; Ivenue Icey in Green ;& Marupen in Nile Blue

28575416368_d8fb066d9e_k.jpgMay 2018 haul, on Flickr

These show up yesterday late afternoon : I though I would share .. Moonman M5 in Ebony ; Fuliwan 016 Sceptre in 海棠 ( Malus spectabilis ) ; Ivenue Icey in Green ;& Marupen in Nile Blue

28575416368_d8fb066d9e_k.jpgMay 2018 haul, on Flickr

You're always at least one step ahead of me! I just came across the Ivenue pens, the Fuliwen Sceptre and Fuliwen 826 when scouring Taobao for beautiful acrylics.

Any thoughts on these beauties, the Ivenue Ivy?

TB2N1iLdVuWBuNjSszbXXcS7FXa_!!781165238.

Ivenue seems to have a growing line of acylic pens in nice colors.

Then only thing I think I might not like about the Ivy above is the weird shape of the section.

Edited by TruthPil