Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

I occasionally like demonstrators.

But what is the material? I like acrylic, but polycarbonate (like the TWSBI or Lamy Vista) just grates on me. I don't know why, it's a perfectly nice material, but I just don't like the feel.

Regards

Richard

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I occasionally like demonstrators.

But what is the material? I like acrylic, but polycarbonate (like the TWSBI or Lamy Vista) just grates on me. I don't know why, it's a perfectly nice material, but I just don't like the feel.

Regards

Richard

When I was browsing interviews and auction, the material that the pen was marketized of was PMMA also know as acrylic. So the same as the Wing Sung 698. They must use a different concoction or I don't know different temperatures for the molding process because my 698 and this 618 feel different in the hand. The plastic certainly feels like high quality in both models, but the 698's is more lucid and smooth to the touch.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I did promise Helen long ago for a post on the Hero 9630 .. so here it goes .. I like hooded nib , its the kind of pen my mom use in her days and the same when I'm in my junior school years ( and then some ) .. the Hero 616 is almost notorious on this forum for being the best and the worst , but time flies .. and fast forward to 2010s and while we can still get the 616 from Hero, mos of the contemporary models are quite different, notably in their feed which use the integral feed like I've sown with the M&G and also using the not too beautiful section , most of them are sharply tapered in a straight narrow down profile .. I find that rather bad taste for the pen. I like the classic slightly chubby curved smooth taper as originated by the P51 ...

And well come circa 2012 , Hero did bring out one model that fit this, That is the 9630 , with Rose Gold trim , in either Classic Black ( lacquered ) or Gun Chrome ( wavy line chased ). Its all metal including the section , snap cap, C/C filling, sized pretty much the same as the 616 standard ( Medium )

40027483824_1d4d32f7cd_k.jpg

Hero 9630 Classic Black by Mech for i, on Flickr

OK, I do like the coppery rose gold, and the solid construction. but still this is a no frill styling .... right ... well .. that is until you uncap the pen

40695020942_fb98d4fa5f_k.jpg

Hero 9630 Gun Chrome by Mech for i, on Flickr

pen sections are usually not the talking point of a fountain pen, no less something like a simple tapered one like that on the P51, they are usually plain and unadorned .. well not this one, once uncap this section boldly, and loudly announce its presence. The same rose gold finished and wavy line chased section is used on both the color option and serve equally well to draw attention, surprise, surprise the pen do not post, well you can post it but the cap just will be loose. As with all the modern models it use the integral feed so only the nib can be removed from the front. It write with a smoothness more akin to European pen than Chinese pen with less than usual feedback laying down a standard F. Curiously this pen seems to be liked by ladies a lot , at least with all the ladies in my office. They think it's blink blink and comment it look like a big lipstick though I must say I fail to connect on that.

fpn_1520737351__h9630.jpg

Edited by Mech-for-i

Beautiful pen. Would you pls share the name of the pen and where to buy. Thanks

Look what came today!

fpn_1520338737__p1090388_compressed.jpg

fpn_1520338867__p1090389.jpg

It came with a lot of stuff too: gift bag and box, 1 bottle of black ink, and 1 really nice multi-layer cloth pen sheath.

fpn_1520338692__p1090370.jpg

It writes wonderfully! My only complaint is that the acrylic has a couple stripes of bubbles or something in it that don't match between cap and barrel. It drives me nuts to look at whenever I turn the pen in my hand and see the mismatching lines. Other than that, a great product that works flawlessly right out of the box. This is my first Schmidt nib and I'm impressed!

Brand name is "Live in You" Pen model is "MiTu" As in the wriyyen not at the top.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.23.6431191euHmnFP&id=553174627442&ns=1&abbucket=11#detail

Edited by kd3

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 2 weeks later...

post-138369-0-65609200-1522136661_thumb.jpg

Received the Wing sung B698 today. I don't feel like making an extra thread for it right now.

It's unenthusing, if that's a word to make up for it.

It honestly seems like a prototype. It is a lovely... idea of a pen, but I don't much like the back weight of it, the quality is definitely not comparable to 698 (like the 618 is), and it has that haphazard completion of design like that of a 3008, but a little worse. I'll ink it up maybe sometime in the future, but I'm content enough with the pens I'm using now.

Shipping of the B698 from Office_Supplies_Pens was very fast and well packaged. Nothing more you can do about the pen.

I do have a Wing Sung 618 on the way. I tried my friend's 618 and that is a well built pen. I also caved and ordered a PenBBS 308 and 309. They may not have the best clips, but even for just having as a desk pen, they would be nice to use since I do have extra Goulet and Knox nibs I can swap in.

I've always been on the look out for a descent affordable pen that can swap in a #6 nib ever since my success with the Jinhao x750-Jowo's I have, so the Penbbs's are intriguing, especially with the praise they have received.

Edited by IndigoBOB

attachicon.gif IMG_1452.JPG

Received the Wing sung B698 today. I don't feel like making an extra thread for it right now.

It's unenthusing, if that's a word to make up for it.

It honestly seems like a prototype. It is a lovely... idea of a pen, but I don't much like the back weight of it, the quality is definitely not comparable to 698 (like the 618 is), and it has that haphazard completion of design like that of a 3008, but a little worse. I'll ink it up maybe sometime in the future, but I'm content enough with the pens I'm using now.

Shipping of the B698 from Office_Supplies_Pens was very fast and well packaged. Nothing more you can do about the pen.

I do have a Wing Sung 618 on the way. I tried my friend's 618 and that is a well built pen. I also caved and ordered a PenBBS 308 and 309. They may not have the best clips, but even for just having as a desk pen, they would be nice to use since I do have extra Goulet and Knox nibs I can swap in.

I've always been on the look out for a descent affordable pen that can swap in a #6 nib ever since my success with the Jinhao x750-Jowo's I have, so the Penbbs's are intriguing, especially with the praise they have received.

My sentiments exactly. It's a good idea for a pen but still half-baked. It's a real chore to try to get all the ink out of it because the section is actually borrowed from a cartridge pen. I'm just going to have to get a 3009 for my Lamy nibs.

I hope your nibs will work in the Penbbs pens. In my 308 every JoWo nib other than the stubs sticks up too high so the inner cap pushes the tip to the side. The same with Jinhao nibs and other #6 nibs.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Does anybody know what's the brand of these cheap piston fillers?

The Aliexpress link is just for example, no affiliation with the store!

I've bought three of these from ebay a couple of months ago, and the nibs are better than the ones that come with Wing Sung 3008.

My sentiments exactly. It's a good idea for a pen but still half-baked. It's a real chore to try to get all the ink out of it because the section is actually borrowed from a cartridge pen. I'm just going to have to get a 3009 for my Lamy nibs.

I hope your nibs will work in the Penbbs pens. In my 308 every JoWo nib other than the stubs sticks up too high so the inner cap pushes the tip to the side. The same with Jinhao nibs and other #6 nibs.

The piston filling mechanism is rough with some scraping of the materials. You're description as "half-baked" is a good way to put it.

I wouldn't recommend the B698. I was hoping it would be at least the quality of a 3008...

...But the 3008 is a better option IMO.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well shucks, I hope the nibs work on the PenBBS's, too lol. I saw a few reports of #6's fitting successfully. Well If worse comes to worse I'll load them up with a HoD or Sailor Jentles, which usually fixes so-so nibs as long as the feed isn't too dry. *Fingers Crossed* on the PenBBS's.

At least I know the penBBS's are reported to have higher quality materials, and I do like the size's and shapes and what they offer.

I have a little more optimism that's grounded in consistent reports and praise going into the PenBBS's than I did the B698, which was mostly purchased on wishful thinking :wacko: .

I've bought three of these from ebay a couple of months ago, and the nibs are better than the ones that come with Wing Sung 3008.

IDK, but they do look like Wing Sung 3008 variants.

I wonder if they improved the twist of the cap.

IDK, but they do look like Wing Sung 3008 variants.

I wonder if they improved the twist of the cap.

What twist of the cap? The caps of both my 3008 and these feel rattly. Both models are sealed by the o-ring on the barrel because there's no inner cap. The no-name has no cap-band while the 3008 has one, so it feels even more brittle than the 3008's cap. Did I answer something?

What twist of the cap? The caps of both my 3008 and these feel rattly. Both models are sealed by the o-ring on the barrel because there's no inner cap. The no-name has no cap-band while the 3008 has one, so it feels even more brittle than the 3008's cap. Did I answer something?

I don't know lol Maybe.

When I unscrew and screw my cap on and off of the 3008 it's quite stiff for about a full turn. It peeves me.

I don't know lol Maybe.

When I unscrew and screw my cap on and off of the 3008 it's quite stiff for about a full turn. It peeves me.

Oh. Well that's normal, it's the kind of rubber with which the o-ring is made that creates that sort of friction. It's very distinctive isn't it. I also don't like it one bit.

These are for sale all over Taobao but with various brand names. It appears to be an OEM pen that different sellers just buy and put their own name on. Here are a couple brand names I found from different sellers that appear to be the exact same pens:

成田 (Cheng Tai) :

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.26.66f37484BsPt6N&id=563922785262

(Rebranded as 云停 Yun Ting):

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.37.66f37484BsPt6N&id=563509418675

长诗 (Chang Shi):

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.4.66f37484BsPt6N&id=562691673896

No Brand:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.15.66f37484BsPt6N&id=560457493765

How do you like these pens? Do they take Lamy nibs well?

Edited by TruthPil

The piston filling mechanism is rough with some scraping of the materials. You're description as "half-baked" is a good way to put it.

I wouldn't recommend the B698. I was hoping it would be at least the quality of a 3008...

...But the 3008 is a better option IMO.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well shucks, I hope the nibs work on the PenBBS's, too lol. I saw a few reports of #6's fitting successfully. Well If worse comes to worse I'll load them up with a HoD or Sailor Jentles, which usually fixes so-so nibs as long as the feed isn't too dry. *Fingers Crossed* on the PenBBS's.

At least I know the penBBS's are reported to have higher quality materials, and I do like the size's and shapes and what they offer.

I have a little more optimism that's grounded in consistent reports and praise going into the PenBBS's than I did the B698, which was mostly purchased on wishful thinking :wacko: .

Yeah, the "B698" is basically junk; just a notch up from disposable. Since mine has ink stuck behind the piston after just one fill, I'd really like to know if there's a way to disassemble the piston. I'm afraid it might be too shoddy to be put back together again though. :unsure:

I'm sure you'll get some #6 nib to fit in your Penbbs pens, but it might take a couple attempts. Those pens are a class far above pens like the 3008 and 698. The materials are excellent and they feel amazing in the hand (if you like pens with some girth). My 308 with JoWo 1.1 stub or 1.1 OCI is sheer pleasure to write with. I just wish Penbbs would bring back their medium nib option. The fine on mine was totally unusable and now they've added an extra fine, but that's going in the wrong direction for me. :gaah: I won't get another until they offer the 309 in an all opaque version with at least a medium nib.

Yeah, the "B698" is basically junk; just a notch up from disposable. Since mine has ink stuck behind the piston after just one fill, I'd really like to know if there's a way to disassemble the piston. I'm afraid it might be too shoddy to be put back together again though. :unsure:

I'm sure you'll get some #6 nib to fit in your Penbbs pens, but it might take a couple attempts. Those pens are a class far above pens like the 3008 and 698. The materials are excellent and they feel amazing in the hand (if you like pens with some girth). My 308 with JoWo 1.1 stub or 1.1 OCI is sheer pleasure to write with. I just wish Penbbs would bring back their medium nib option. The fine on mine was totally unusable and now they've added an extra fine, but that's going in the wrong direction for me. :gaah: I won't get another until they offer the 309 in an all opaque version with at least a medium nib.

I appreciate the reassurance and it gives me more optimism to hear them significantly exceeding the quality of a 698.

------------------------------------------

I prefer Medium nibs, too (Tanget between threads)). Every time I find an F or EF I like, I end up switching back to a Medium within a week. My rotation now is:

• Charlie-KTC-Fpr.Medium
  • x750-BSIER-Fran.Chris-M
  • x750-Noodler's Black-Goulet M
  • TWSBI Eco.T-Kiwa.Guro-M
  • Lamy Vista-Noodler's Black-M
  • FPR Ebonite Himalaya-HoD-Fine***- Doesn't feel great, but works well enough for when I need to be more portable with my writing in a B6 notebook.

I've had and will have a lot of writing to do and I've wanted to make sure I knew what pens work best with my black inks for differing times I need different pens.

I do find the Kiwa-Guro to work pretty well in my Eco.T-M, putting down and feeling like a good Medium.Fine line that's good for EDC, so that will do for now.

--------------------------------------

I was impressed by Iroshizuku Take-Sumi. I tested the Water Resistance on Tomoe River Paper using my Pilot.Metro-Medium: Not archival, but it is water resistant leaving behind a very easily legible and recoverable line even after 2 minutes of being ran under drenching water. Any longer and I was afraid the paper would start to fall apart. Take-Sumi looked like Lexington gray after testing, which is actually a good thing.

And since the flow and feel of Take-Sumi is a happy medium between HoD and Kiwa-Guro, i'll be buying a bottle of that ink soon. It's grown on me surprisingly quickly and I'm noticing a beauty to it. Something about it.

--------------------------------------

I hope you're able to get a medium nib from PenBBS. I might be on that boat, too.

Edited by IndigoBOB

These are for sale all over Taobao but with various brand names. It appears to be an OEM pen that different sellers just buy and put their own name on. Here are a couple brand names I found from different sellers that appear to be the exact same pens:

成田 (Cheng Tai) :

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.26.66f37484BsPt6N&id=563922785262

(Rebranded as 云停 Yun Ting):

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.37.66f37484BsPt6N&id=563509418675

长诗 (Chang Shi):

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.4.66f37484BsPt6N&id=562691673896

No Brand:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1997196601.15.66f37484BsPt6N&id=560457493765

How do you like these pens? Do they take Lamy nibs well?

Thank you, how kind of you! : )

And these nibs are stuck, and I metaphorically underline that word three times. They're very hard to remove. And being Lamy-style nibs, I don't have the wide shoulders of the "normal" nibs to grip onto. I'll try again, see if they budge!

I tried again with rubber gloves. First the feed got pulled off, but then I managed to pull the nib. I installed a Lamy 1.5 stub since it's the only I have around right now, we'll see how it goes, I'll report here.

Although they're actually quite decent in themselves..

The nibs I mean. The pens though are very brittle, more than the WS 3008. The plastic feels like it will break into a thousand pieces if it bumps against anything.

Edited by RoyalBlueNotebooks

Although they're actually quite decent in themselves..

The nibs I mean. The pens though are very brittle, more than the WS 3008. The plastic feels like it will break into a thousand pieces if it bumps against anything.

Sounds like a lot of Chinese pens being made recently. I've decided I need to stop buying cheap Chinese pens and just get a few of their good ones, like the Penbbs and Delike pens. I've been impressed with the quality of the materials for both. Delike F nibs are particularly nice.

Sounds like a lot of Chinese pens being made recently. I've decided I need to stop buying cheap Chinese pens and just get a few of their good ones, like the Penbbs and Delike pens. I've been impressed with the quality of the materials for both. Delike F nibs are particularly nice.

Wise choice

seems like no.5 and no.6 nib is asked for a lot these days .. so I figure I would show the vintage early 90s Hero 30 ( in Dark Blue and Maroon; also avai. in Black ) , a C/C fill, no.5 steel nib ( plated finish ), with a firm snap cap of classic brushed steel. This is AFAIK, one of the earliest models Hero introduced to include cartridge specifically ( the pen come with an aerometric converter as well as 2 cartridges )

40413347484_dbe583d358_k.jpg

Hero 30 vintage early 90s by Mech for i, on Flickr

Barrel and section are of plastic thermo-injection and trim is gold plated and I have replace the original nib ( as shown on the blue pen ) with one of two tone from one of my Hero 26 and in the process of custom grinding it to a small ( sort of ) architect