Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

some haul indeed and mine is still in fright but I got to share this, PenBBS tease us with a news yesterday

fpn_1510844102__penbbs-teaser.jpg

That's 3 different filling, Vac Filling, Piston, and Vacumatic .. yes look like we will be seeing them in future ones .. I can't wait to get my hand on a Wing Sung 618 in Vacumatic non-demo version , pls make it in that 698 lake blue .. pls .....oh and they also announce their next pen, the PenBBS Model 309 Piston Filler

fpn_1510844902__penbbs-309.jpg

Do all these models fit regular number 6 nibs? The price of the Model 309 keeps fluctuating wildly on eBay, I'm thinking whether I should wait a bit more before buying it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of the nearly 100 pens I own, ranging in price from 50 cents to 500 dollars, my red acrylic Lingmo Lorelei and green acrylic Penbbs 308 are among the most beautiful and well designed. That being said, I believe the likelihood of getting a Chinese lemon is more likely than that of getting a European lemon. This is due to the fact that China is still a developing country and improved quality control isn't worth the sacrifice in productivity. Take, for example, the two aforementioned pens. The Lorelei came with an unusable nib while the 308 has a structural flaw that causes the converter to sit at an angle rather than straight with the barrel. The nib is also going to need opening up so I can write without pressure. Nevertheless, these pens are so beautiful and feel so perfect for my hand that I have no qualms about putting a little effort into tuning them. Both pens are more enjoyable to write with than either of my Montblancs!

These are quite intriguing. I rather have one high quality chinese pen then several lower quality ones.

Do all these models fit regular number 6 nibs? The price of the Model 309 keeps fluctuating wildly on eBay, I'm thinking whether I should wait a bit more before buying it.

I'm going to wait. This may be a hard wait. But I am very curious if they can fit regular sized #6 nibs as well. That would do it for me.

Judging by the specs, the 309 seems to be just a slightly thicker version of the 308 with piston instead of c/c filling method. Since the 308 cost half as much as the 309,you might want to get a 308 first to see if you like the style and build.

Don't mind me... Just enabling others to buy more pens haha.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

AFAIK, yes all of them use the same section / nib assembly , so the answer is yes ( well I think at least all of mine do ) the 309 do see a different price because that's the way PenBBS priced them, different material / finishing are priced different though of course mechanically its just the same pen so if you want those exotic acrylic colors, you had to go for the pricier ones. I though want to wait for an all opaque version. I do like the more chunky flat top styling but I am not too keen on Demonstrates

Edited by Mech-for-i

... The Penbbs 323 in red, now that's a completely different matter altogether, what a lovely looking pen, and a beautiful shape.

fpn_1512572084__bbs323.jpg

Ian

Yeah, sure and that's why its on my shopping list this month .. after all X'mas coming and I might as well gift myself something ... I think its good enough an excuse; II will have to figure out if I want the red or the Ivory or some other color

Edited by Mech-for-i

Yeah, sure and that's why its on my shopping list this month .. after all X'mas coming and I might as well gift myself something ... I think its good enough an excuse; II will have to figure out if I want the red or the Ivory or some other color

I'm assuming the Penbbs 323 can't be posted and there's no way it can have a clip, right?

No, it the 323 will not post and the cap is a single piece affair so no clip , but that's the charm of it , actually if PenBBS had made the 323 the piston filler with all the curve intact and in those gorgeous opaque colors I probably would have already order one

Edited by Mech-for-i

No, it the 323 will not post and the cap is a single piece affair so no clip , but that's the charm of it , actually if PenBBS had made the 323 the piston filler with all the curve intact and in those gorgeous opaque colors I probably would have already order one

Oh no!

That's the 323 ruled out then.

Posting is a must for me, although the pen is so nice looking I might have to make an exception. :D

Ian

Those colors are indeed gorgeous. I've got a red acrylic Lorelei and a green acrylic 308, so I'm looking for the perfect blue acrylic pen to complete the color set. Perhaps a year later once the 309 has dropped in price.

Actually the Delike New Moon in Blue acrylic had one of the better Royal Blue pattern and it can be had in the smaller cheaper New Moon or the larger New Moon II variant ( and the NM-II can be had with an M nib ). Some of the PenBBS 309's color are really nice but with a Demo barrel the pen cannot do the material their just display. I would wait out for an opaque version or the shown Vacumatic / Vac filler.

Oh no!
That's the 323 ruled out then.
Posting is a must for me, although the pen is so nice looking I might have to make an exception. :D

Ian

You can have that finish with the model 308 though

Edited by Mech-for-i

Browsing around today, and found PenBBS updating some Model 309 Piston Filler with photos

Pre Production sample tray

fpn_1512563633__309pp.jpg

10 colors and they couldn't make one opaque... is it all about demonstrators these days?

Edited by WJM

10 colors and they couldn't make one opaque... is it all about demonstrators these days?

Lately it seems like the Chinese FP crowd is all about watching ink slosh around in the pen, so demonstrators are in. The endless amount of eyedropper conversions for sale on Taobao testify to this.

From a production standpoint, I assume it must be cheaper to make an entirely clear barrel than to make an opaque one with an ink view window.

Edited by TruthPil

Actually the Delike New Moon in Blue acrylic had one of the better Royal Blue pattern and it can be had in the smaller cheaper New Moon or the larger New Moon II variant ( and the NM-II can be had with an M nib ). Some of the PenBBS 309's color are really nice but with a Demo barrel the pen cannot do the material their just display. I would wait out for an opaque version or the shown Vacumatic / Vac filler.

The New Moons are really nice, other than the leaky converter, but the acrylic is more of a swirl design than that classic "cracked ice" look available with the Lorelei and 308.

Lately it seems like the Chinese FP crowd is all about watching ink slosh around in the pen, so demonstrators are in. The endless amount of eyedropper conversions for sale on Taobao testify to this.

Another factor - or perhaps the primary factor - is that they recently discovered inks in colours beyond the familiar black, blue-black, blue, and red (and green if you count Ostrich). PenBBS could well be the people who started it and now a lot of ink makers, mostly new ones, are into making inks in a rainbow of colours.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Another factor - or perhaps the primary factor - is that they recently discovered inks in colours beyond the familiar black, blue-black, blue, and red (and green if you count Ostrich). PenBBS could well be the people who started it and now a lot of ink makers, mostly new ones, are into making inks in a rainbow of colours.

Yes, exactly. The newly discovered rainbow of inks is a big deal!

I just ordered a 309 in the cranberry / purple colour. I messaged the seller to ask about getting one with dark purple ends like the one in the picture here because the listing has many variations on the colours.

That bring to three PenBBS pens on the way for me - a transparent purple 308 and an ivory 323 - that's my Christmas present (though with our slow post I don't expect they will be here before Christmas).

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I just ordered a 309 in the cranberry / purple colour. I messaged the seller to ask about getting one with dark purple ends like the one in the picture here because the listing has many variations on the colours.

That bring to three PenBBS pens on the way for me - a transparent purple 308 and an ivory 323 - that's my Christmas present (though with our slow post I don't expect they will be here before Christmas).

That's great! I look forward to reading about your impressions of these pens!

Did you see chrisrap52 just released a video review of the Caliart ego II? The one he shows is an opaque piston filler.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

The opaque Blue version of the Ego-II was released together with the Demo version ; looking forward to your PenBBS 309 impression

Edited by Mech-for-i

Did you see chrisrap52 just released a video review of the Caliart ego II? The one he shows is an opaque piston filler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncOzoJ427JE

Yes, I know this one. Good that it exists I guess but this color is definitely not for me.

I'm more intrested in the newly discovered solid black Wing Sung 618, about which I learned about from this forum... literally the day after receiving the demonstrator version. So I guess I'm gonna have two 618s.

Edited by WJM