Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

I ordered a white X450. I agree with you that gold and white is a good match although some say about the white Waterman Élégance for instance that it could be a feminine pen.

Eh, gender stereotypes are fleeting and temporary anyway, so who cares - it looks neat. So does the Waterman pen.

Beauties! Do they write like a Parker Duofold or more like Jinhao's (good writers imo)?

I've got one of those, too, and while I can't compare them with a Duofold, due to lack of a Duofold, they certainly don't feel like Jinhao pens - there's an entirely different feel to the nib. Kind of... glassy? Mine is a great writer, but the nib's a bit too broad for me and it's a very heavy pen, so that's something to be aware of.

Thanks! I see prices between $ 25-30, but it looks like a nice acquisition.

If you don't mind not having a box, you can find them for 18$ or something thereabouts. I got mine for 17.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the comments, Guardy and Kev. 14 quid (pro quo) would not be a bad deal. i'll take my chances....

Edited by Trom

For the comparison with a Duofold, take a look at my review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/204770-kaigelu-316-grey-amber/

I did a direct comparison with a Centennial about half way through the first post. With a JoWo/Bock nib and a resin finial, the K316 is, for all intents & purposes, a Duofold Centennial.

Regards,

Richard.

For the comparison with a Duofold, take a look at my review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/204770-kaigelu-316-grey-amber/

I did a direct comparison with a Centennial about half way through the first post. With a JoWo/Bock nib and a resin finial, the K316 is, for all intents & purposes, a Duofold Centennial.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks! Great review!

Does the K316 have a #5 or #6 nib?

It's a #6 nib.

The biggest problem, so far as I'm concerned, is the plating. It's better on the K316 than on any other Chinese pen I've come across, but I have worn it away on my EDC pen in around 6 years. I know I'm hard on my pens - I did in 3 weeks the same wear that it took a colleague 18 months to do on another pen from the same kit pen batch - but for it to go in only 6 years is a shame. I wish they could use something like the Titanium - Aluminium Nitride used on machine tool cutting bits. It would stay more gold coloured than any thin gold coating & stay that way forever in normal use. In all likelihood, it'd be cheaper too, given that it's only about 1.5 microns thick, and the minimum gold plating to get any sort of gold colour is around 4 microns.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks. I have a Jowo #6 nib, so that's a good option.

6 years is not bad for a $2.75 fountain pen. I can live with that :)

Think it cost me nearer $20 for my K316, but I agree. Don't like the waste though. Don't want such a lovely pen to wear out at all, either.

Regards,

Richard

I thought you were talking about other Chinese pens like the jinhao. $ 20 for 6 years would not be good although I spend more on toilet paper every year.

It's a #6 nib.

The biggest problem, so far as I'm concerned, is the plating. It's better on the K316 than on any other Chinese pen I've come across, but I have worn it away on my EDC pen in around 6 years. I know I'm hard on my pens - I did in 3 weeks the same wear that it took a colleague 18 months to do on another pen from the same kit pen batch - but for it to go in only 6 years is a shame. I wish they could use something like the Titanium - Aluminium Nitride used on machine tool cutting bits. It would stay more gold coloured than any thin gold coating & stay that way forever in normal use. In all likelihood, it'd be cheaper too, given that it's only about 1.5 microns thick, and the minimum gold plating to get any sort of gold colour is around 4 microns.

Regards,

Richard

I wish you could forward that critical info to the company that produces the 316. It would only make owning our Mighty Roos more advantageous. I've got one more 316 to purchase, and my set will be complete.

I have sent a number of e-mails to Chinese companies in the past (including kaigelu@163.com, which is the only e-mail address quoted on the Kaigelu manufacturers website www.kaigelu.net ). On half of them I have included a Google translation of the English words (having checked that the English translation of the Chinese presented makes sense) and on the other half I just sent an English e-mail. I have never once received a single reply.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks! Great review!

Does the K316 have a #5 or #6 nib?

In my mind, the K316 nib size is smaller than a #6 nib.

K316 nib is narrower width-wise by at least a couple of mm, and most importantly shorter length-wise by ~4 mm.

Although it might be possible to force a larger #6 nib in the Kaigelu housing, fit is not as perfect as with the original smaller K316 nib, and in one pen I tried this with, I encountered problems with ink leakage when I carried the pen in my briefcase. Other people may not have had my bad luck, but I considered it appropriate to add a word of caution here for the interested viewer.

Also, the K316 feed dimensions are different than the #6 Jowo or Bock feed dimensions.

Fig. below: Kaigelu nib housing (left), K316 nib (center) and Jowo #6 nib (right). There is a considerable difference in size between the 2 nibs for the nib exchange to be considered a perfect fit.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/69655496-86A7-4CEC-8A52-23ECAB0ADB53_zpsgwfoi3oi.jpg

Distance between graph lines is 5 mm.

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Nice addition to my Jinhao 159 squad, the silver and the copper. The good writers are filled with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo and Diamine Ancient Copper.

post-27427-0-15578600-1488547068_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trom

• 1 month later...

I haven’t done a show and tell for many a moon….maybe my interest in Chinese pens is waning……NOT!

I’ve had my eye on one of these for quite a wee while now, and with the remainder of the money from my recent (jeez I’m getting’ auld) birthday, I ordered myself this Picasso 902 Gentleman, which has been described as Dark red, Carnelian, and Garnet, of which any of these colour descriptions would fit the bill.

It’s not quite as “WOW” as the 915 when you open the box, but is a very nice pen, none the less.

It has the “usual” Picasso bits and pieces dotted around the pen, which I really like, and it appears to be very well made, with a robust feel about it.

You don’t see it particularly well in the pics, but when capped, it tapers quite significantly from top to bottom, (a la Italix Captains’ Commission only slimmer) which is a shape I’m particularly fond of.

The colour might not be everyones’ cup of Assam, and if not, it comes in 2 other guises, both attractive, and both of which I intend to get my hands on at some point.

So! How does it write?

In a word…….brilliantly.

Straight up, inked with diamine Syrah, smooth as you like, with a nice medium line, and it feels, and looks really nice resting in my big paws during operation.

All in all, another excellent pen from Picasso, and if “uniqueness” is your thing, Picasso pens could be right up your street……like mine.

Oh!, and the cost? £12 delivered from China to the land of the Badger handbag in only 9 days ….not bad going eh?

The obligatory pics…….see what you think.

fpn_1492786107__picasso_4.jpg

fpn_1492786143__picasso_3.jpg

fpn_1492786172__picasso_25.jpg

fpn_1492786223__picasso_2.jpg

fpn_1492786386__picasso_1.jpg

fpn_1492786416__picasso_writings.jpg

To be honest, I've been a fan since I bought my Swedish Flower King (great names) and needless to say the 903 Gentleman didn't travel from China alone, but was accompanied by another Picasso, the 917 Feeling of Rome, but that's for another day.

Ian

'Land of the badger handbag,' hilarious. I love the clip, imprints on the cap, finial and nib. The red color looks a bit like one of the Huahong models. Great photographs, Ian.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

It is Bob, it's similar to the red lava, but with less "yellowyness" if you know what I mean.

I really like its' one off looks,

& of course, it writes beautifully. :)

Ian

Just received this first impressions are good, nice smooth nib straight out the pack, decent converter. nicely balanced and nice simple lines

33146824383_24ec0af8f4_z.jpg

Kev

I haven’t done a show and tell for many a moon….maybe my interest in Chinese pens is waning……NOT!

I’ve had my eye on one of these for quite a wee while now, and with the remainder of the money from my recent (jeez I’m getting’ auld) birthday, I ordered myself this Picasso 902 Gentleman, which has been described as Dark red, Carnelian, and Garnet, of which any of these colour descriptions would fit the bill.

It’s not quite as “WOW” as the 915 when you open the box, but is a very nice pen, none the less.

It has the “usual” Picasso bits and pieces dotted around the pen, which I really like, and it appears to be very well made, with a robust feel about it.

You don’t see it particularly well in the pics, but when capped, it tapers quite significantly from top to bottom, (a la Italix Captains’ Commission only slimmer) which is a shape I’m particularly fond of.

The colour might not be everyones’ cup of Assam, and if not, it comes in 2 other guises, both attractive, and both of which I intend to get my hands on at some point.

So! How does it write?

In a word…….brilliantly.

Straight up, inked with diamine Syrah, smooth as you like, with a nice medium line, and it feels, and looks really nice resting in my big paws during operation.

All in all, another excellent pen from Picasso, and if “uniqueness” is your thing, Picasso pens could be right up your street……like mine.

Oh!, and the cost? £12 delivered from China to the land of the Badger handbag in only 9 days ….not bad going eh?

The obligatory pics…….see what you think.

fpn_1492786107__picasso_4.jpg

fpn_1492786143__picasso_3.jpg

fpn_1492786172__picasso_25.jpg

fpn_1492786223__picasso_2.jpg

fpn_1492786386__picasso_1.jpg

fpn_1492786416__picasso_writings.jpg

To be honest, I've been a fan since I bought my Swedish Flower King (great names) and needless to say the 903 Gentleman didn't travel from China alone, but was accompanied by another Picasso, the 917 Feeling of Rome, but that's for another day.

Ian

Looks quite nice Ian. Thanks for posting. Which pen has more girth, this one or the 915?

Maybe this question has been addressed already - but I'd like to know which co. makes the Picasso, is it Jinhao or Hero or some other company? It seems to me that the Picasso brand is an initial Chinese attempt to go "upmarket" with their offerings. I will have to try one. Can you with you experience with Chinese pens recommend which Picasso is the widest?

Thanks.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Just received this first impressions are good, nice smooth nib straight out the pack, decent converter. nicely balanced and nice simple lines

33146824383_24ec0af8f4_z.jpg

Kev

Kev

I have found the Picassos to be of excellent quality, and certainly a step up from the less expensive pens.

My 903 has been getting use for about 2 1/2 yrs now, and it is still as good (looking, and operationally) as the day It arrived.

Looks quite nice Ian. Thanks for posting. Which pen has more girth, this one or the 915?

Maybe this question has been addressed already - but I'd like to know which co. makes the Picasso, is it Jinhao or Hero or some other company? It seems to me that the Picasso brand is an initial Chinese attempt to go "upmarket" with their offerings. I will have to try one. Can you with you experience with Chinese pens recommend which Picasso is the widest?

Thanks.

Maurizio

The 915 is the widest/girthiest and largest overall, of the Picasso pens I've experienced, and what a pen it is too.

Here is a statement by our good friend and member Jewelrymathematics from his listings for Picasso pens.

Picasso pens are made by Shanghai Pafuluo Stationery Co. Ltd.

It is a new fountain pen manufacturer established in 2002, by 6 directors with the authorisation of the Picasso brand.

It is a great combination of Picasso art and fountain pens.

The short history does not devalue the high quality of their pens and magnificent aftersale service.

The return rate of their pens is the lowest of all the Chinese pens.

I'm on a bit of a Picasso kick at the minute, and I'll S+T another when I get a chance.

In my opinion, they are genuinely very, very good.

Ian