Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Following on from AAAndrews' Hero's, I thought I'd show another Hero today.

I've not seen this pen mentioned on FPN and It really is a cracking pen.

THE HERO 8018 (Golden Blessings)

I was attracted to this pen mainly due to the cap, which had what looked like nice embossing on it, Chinese characters etc, so I took a punt.

When it arrived I was very impressed, as the embossing or mouding or whatever it is, is very nice.

It has a lovely "worn" appearance to it and the lines and characters are bold and stand out really well.

The pen itself is a lovely writer, with a juicy wet nib, and has been a great find.

I use it regularly with no hiccups and find it very comfortable and pleasant to use, and even though it tips the pans at 42g, and feels heavy when you pick it up, it doesn't feel heavy in use as it is very well balanced....even posted.

The build quality is very good, and the pen feels very robust.

All in all, a very good pen, that looks great........ :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian

fpn_1441132356__8018_4.jpg

[/url]

fpn_1441131953__8018.jpg

fpn_1441132004__8018_1.jpg

fpn_1441132045__8018_3.jpg

fpn_1441132091__8018_2.jpg

fpn_1441132158__8018_5.jpg

Edited by Ian the Jock

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wonderful thread and some great pens...

My Hero 336 has lasted me for the better part of 3 decades (or is it 4?) and still is going strong. Anyone who says Chinese pens do not last long are sadly mistaken. Just because of this pen i have a healthy respect for these pens. Have a 616 and a J159 inked up presently and K316 and J159 in red on the way, to add to my collection

A lifelong FP user...

Wonderful thread and some great pens...

My Hero 336 has lasted me for the better part of 3 decades (or is it 4?) and still is going strong. Anyone who says Chinese pens do not last long are sadly mistaken. Just because of this pen i have a healthy respect for these pens. Have a 616 and a J159 inked up presently and K316 and J159 in red on the way, to add to my collection

Good stuff Deepak

I can't get enough of these pens either.

People who haven't tried Chinese pens for whatever reason, really should have a try with 1 or 2, they might get a pleasant surprise.

My next show and tell (when I get a spare 5 minutes) is a "Belter" which as I'm sure you've figured out, means it's "pretty impressive".

Ian

Great review, Ian! You should really post separate pen reviews. These are very helpful.

I did receive my Jinhao z(bold nib) and Baoer (medum nib) pens. They are quite heavy, but very nice! The nibs are wonderfully smooth. And, they are both substantial pens. The Jinhao is built like a tank. I like them both very much. I just wish they made stub or italic nibs.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Great review, Ian! You should really post separate pen reviews. These are very helpful.

I did receive my Jinhao z(bold nib) and Baoer (medum nib) pens. They are quite heavy, but very nice! The nibs are wonderfully smooth. And, they are both substantial pens. The Jinhao is built like a tank. I like them both very much. I just wish they made stub or italic nibs.

That was quick Deborah

I'm glad you like them

I love the Jinhao, it is brilliant, and when I have the confidence (and practice) to grind my own nibs, the J217 is a candidate for a broad cursive nib. :D That would be the icing on the cake.

Ian

That was quick Deborah

I'm glad you like them

I love the Jinhao, it is brilliant, and when I have the confidence (and practice) to grind my own nibs, the J217 is a candidate for a broad cursive nib. :D That would be the icing on the cake.

Ian

Thanks for the information. I am impressed that you know how to grind your own nibs. I may have to find a way to do that someday.

Also, as I mentioned, the Jinhao is very large. I had ordered a 217. When the package came, the pen was in a cellophane wrapper with a label in Chinese. I speak a little Mandarin but I don't read it. As I have compared what was sent to me, I realize that I was sent at Jinhao 159 with a #6 Jinhao broad nib. I contacted the retailer, but they haven't responded. I can complain about how it writes, but it is a big, heavy pen. I am definitely going to keep it.

I would like to try a find a Jinhao 217. But, I can't seem find one. I've tried eBay, Amazon, Google, etc. Do you know if Jinhao might have remarketed it as a different number? Or can you suggest another website?

I really do appreciate you help on this. I did order another Baoer - the Golden Horse. It is iconically Chinese, but I thought it might be nice.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Deborah

The only vendor that seemed to have the 217 appears to have sold out.

There have been another 1 or 2 folks looking for one.

I'll get in touch with them and see if they are re-stocking.

The 159 would appear to be a very good pen. Many members rave about it, although I don't have 1 myself YET!

I like the "horses" pens too. I have a Baoer and a Hero version, and both are lovely.

Ian

Ok, as I mentioned previously, todays' S&T is a cracking pen. Really top notch. :thumbup:

And, Thanks to Luvpens for recommending this to me a wee while back.

THE HERO 7022 (ICE FLOWERS)

Luvpens was right on the mark when he told me that this was a top pen.

The actual build quality is very, very good, and it feels bombproof.

Everything about it has a "quality" about it from the clip, to the cap, barrel and nib, in fact even the Hero converter feels better than the norm.

It's a medium - heavy pen and weighs in at a kind of mid range 35g posted and filled, and feels pefectly balanced.

The nib is extremely smooth and the ink just flows out into a nice wet medium line.

I've had a few inks in this pen (diamine grape at the minute) and have had no problems whatsoever.

The one thing that really impresses me about this pen is the overall quality feel it has.

It really is a very well made and robust pen, and imo a very nice looking pen as well.

If the Ice Flowers style doesn't butter your parsnips, then maybe the more plain black and silver offering would be more to your liking.

Either way, this pen is definately worthy of consideration, and has become a regulars user, as I have said, easily fits into my Top 5, possibly even Top 3.

If you were to get one, I honestly believe that you'd be taken aback by how good it is.

SO

If you are "Holdin' out for a Hero"

This could very well be the one you've "waited 'til the end of the night" for.

THE HERO 7022.

fpn_1441225337__7022_page.jpg

fpn_1441225400__7022_capped.jpg

fpn_1441225440__7022_posted.jpg

fpn_1441225481__7022_unposted.jpg

CHEERS

IAN

+1

I have this and the plain black one.

Utterly superb pen in every way. The build and finish beats many of my western made pens.

If you're a bit of a Chinese pen naysayer, or you're just venturing into Chinese pens, this should be the starting point.....

I would like to try a find a Jinhao 217. But, I can't seem find one. I've tried eBay, Amazon, Google, etc. Do you know if Jinhao might have remarketed it as a different number? Or can you suggest another website?

Deborah

Unfortunately the vendor from whom I and others have bought it has said that the 217 has been discontinued.. :(.

We'll need to keep an eye out, as I'm sure there must be other vendors in China who still have stock of them.

Ian

Another thumbs up for the 7022. I've had this pen for a while. I originally inked it, and found it a nice, wet writer, as you mentioned. It's taken a place in my storage chest, at the moment, as I'm using newer acquisitions for my EDU pens.

One of those is the Crocodile 218, which is one of the best writers I own. It's a very blingy pen, but it looks good in the hand. I prefer to use it unposted, because of the extra weight of the cap. I really like the look of it, and it wears well, don't get tired of it. I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the finish, and the plating. That will be determined over time, but the nib is very much to my liking, as is the feed.

There are a lot of excellent Chinese pens. So far, I'm enjoying the hunt.

Another thumbs up for the 7022. I've had this pen for a while. I originally inked it, and found it a nice, wet writer, as you mentioned. It's taken a place in my storage chest, at the moment, as I'm using newer acquisitions for my EDU pens.

One of those is the Crocodile 218, which is one of the best writers I own. It's a very blingy pen, but it looks good in the hand. I prefer to use it unposted, because of the extra weight of the cap. I really like the look of it, and it wears well, don't get tired of it. I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the finish, and the plating. That will be determined over time, but the nib is very much to my liking, as is the feed.

There are a lot of excellent Chinese pens. So far, I'm enjoying the hunt.

Good stuff Harry. :thumbup: The 7022 is an excellent pen.

I too enjoy the hunt, and being a tight ar**d Jock, I enjoy the bidding on ebay caper to find bargains.

It is especially satisfying to unearth "a wee gem", which the subject of my next show and tell certainly was.

Show us yer Croc Harry...we do like a photie. :D. Magazine quality, or phone snap, it matters not.

If your Croc has you raving about it, we want to see it. :thumbup:

Ian

Ok, as I alluded to earlier, todays' show and tell was an absolute gem of a find, and the good news?

They are still out there for next to nothing if it takes your fancy.

The pen?

Huahong Red Lava

I found this pen on ebay, listed with no name, brand, model number...nothing.

After I won it, I contacted the seller (I know, it would have made sense to do so beforehand, but hey, all part of the fun ;) ) and asked what brand the pen was. When the reply was "Huahong" I was none the wiser, and awaited the pens' arrival.

When it arrived, I was knocked out.

It is a gorgeous pen..It is a deep red colour with golden and red iridesent "lava" which appears to move around in the light. It is hard to describe, but it is really nice, and very effective.

The pen itself is extremely well made, and both the section and barrel threads are brass.

It comes with a "squeeze fill" converter which fits onto the section very snugly indeed, and works well, holding a fair amount of ink.

The grip section is a combination of ringed metal and , I take it, plastic, before the section is finished near the end, in, again, gold metal, which looks really nice.

The nib itself is a 2 tone Huahong fine nib, and again looks nice, and really matches in well with the rest of the pen.......and of course, it writes beautifully, nice and wet, and surprisingly smooth for a fine nib. (For some reason, I'm always impressed when a fine nib writes smoothly, probably because I've read many times that fine nibs are scratchy. :lol: )

The cap band is a broad, faceted affair, in brushed silver with with the Huahong logo embossed deeply in gold, and edged with gold rings. This is set off by the 2 tone clip, which also carries a small Huahong logo engraved at the top.

It maybe doesn't sound right, all this 2 tone-ness on a red pen, but it works perfectly, especially when posted, where the matching adornments, section and nib look fantastic.

So, All in all, a brilliant pen, and the best part about this pen?????

The Price.

I won it in an auction for the bank-bustin' total, including shipping....of.... $1.79.

So (for those of you of a certain age to remember Twiki)

GO GET EM' BUCK

Ian.

fpn_1441641350__1_8.jpg

fpn_1441641715__red_lava_book.jpg

fpn_1441641491__red_lava_this2.jpg

fpn_1441641589__red_lava_this.jpg

fpn_1441641654__red_lava_this_one.jpg

fpn_1441641768__1_10.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the review Ian! Yes, I do appreciate B-B-B-Buck! This is a very attractive pen. Others have commented that Huahong fps are quite nice. I may have to give one a try. Did you find that you need to adjust the nib much when you got it? Do you know what size nib it is? I really like stub and italic nibs, and have been considering buying one or two Chinese pens and fitting them with German stub nibs.

I've got a Jinhao 1200 in gold that I paid extra for to get pre-ground to italic.

post-119530-0-24573600-1441681119_thumb.jpg

The clip really is nifty:

post-119530-0-60153300-1441681118_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I've just moved, and haven't used it for a while, so the gorgeous purple ink I have in it needs to be flushed, and the pen inked again, so no writing sample at the moment. It does write very nicely, though.

On the note of eight horses pens, I fell in love with them when I discovered they existed. So, naturally, I bought as many as I could find:

post-119530-0-83521700-1441681117_thumb.jpg

My apologies for the image quality: I was in a hurry and the lighting was poor, so the pattern is blurry. Look them up on ebay and buy some if you want to see it really well. :P

The Baoer (507) in all three colors (not pictured are the matching rollerballs :blush: ), the strangely similar Hero model (861), and two printed Heros with the same pattern. The black one doesn't have a model number on it, (it's the 812 calligraphy model) and has a fude nib. The red one is also an 812. (They make one in white, that I must get. There's also the 9063, which looks to be the black 812 with a regular nib.) The silver Baoer (the other colors are called gold and copper) has the engraved part of the barrel on upside down: the only one of all 6 of that model I own. I consider it to add character.

I'd be happy to show of some more of my pens in the future. I've got some really neat ones, too.

Edited by nosygrammarian

If anyone has a spare Hero 812 in white that they're willing to part with, please PM me. I'm trying to find one for my collection.

"He thought the pen was mightier than the sword... Until he went to war and met a soldier with a sword."

Just stumbled across this listing on eBay. For those of us rocking the Jinhao 1200, here's a Lanbitou with the exact same design. The pictures don't show if there are stones in the eyes, but it would be worth it regardless. The color is different, too. I'm not too familiar with Lanbitou (I think I might own one), but this design and some of the clips on the seller's other listings make me think Lanbitou is another Jinhao family brand. For the price, I'm buying.

If anyone has a spare Hero 812 in white that they're willing to part with, please PM me. I'm trying to find one for my collection.

"He thought the pen was mightier than the sword... Until he went to war and met a soldier with a sword."

And a Wenliang eight horses pen with a hooded nib that otherwise looks exactly like my black hero fude nib eight horses pen. I really need to get away from eBay and go to bed... :gaah:

That's the stuff nosygrammarian.. :D that's what we want to see.....a bit of passion for Chinese pens.

All too often Chinese pens get a bum rap :( and we don't often get to hear about the passion folk have for them.

ME?

I LOVE THEM.......All of them, every one......ok, apart from the Jinhao 599,..... almost all of them then.

I too, fell for the "horses" pens and have 3. 1 Jinhao, 1 Baoer, and 1 Hero. The Hero one with the fine hooded nib is a fantastic pen, and was my moment of realisation that hooded nibs, and fine nibs, were not to be dismissed, as they had been previously.

The Lanbitou is nice, but it doesn't beat the big gold Jinhao dragon, with its' dragons eye cap jewel and ruby eyes, although still pretty droolworthy all the same.

Todays' show and tell is a bit more understated than the 1200s and horses pens, but is another "big hitter" when it comes to quality Chinese pens.

I'm continuing my Hero theme, mainly, as this is the pen I've been using exclusively for the last 2 days. I got myself a new pad, which I discovered, shows up the incredible sheen in Diamine majestic blue ink, and yes, you've guessed it, the pen which I had filled with majestic blue was todays' show and tell.

The Hero 1026

This is another pen that I need to thank Luvpens for, he really knows a good pen when he see's one.

This is another fantastic pen from Hero.

It is really well made and has a reassuringly robust feel to it, and a lovely smooth wet nib.

It just sits beautifully in the hand, and has a elegantly shaped appearance to it, making it a difficult pen to put down once you pick it up.

The cap has a satisfying click when put in place and again, has a reassuring, "safe" feel to it.

All in all, a top notch pen, which again, would give some of the western, costlier pens a run for their money.

CHEERS

IAN

fpn_1441983328__1026_2.jpg

fpn_1441983410__1026_3.jpg

fpn_1441983451__1026.jpg

fpn_1441983495__1026_4.jpg

fpn_1441983536__1026_1.jpg

@Ian the Jock: Why you hating on my Jinhao 599s? ;) I love the hooded nib EF Jinhao 599s for $1.60 -- I don't care for the medium standard looking nib ones though.

That Hero 1026 is gorgeous, I'm adding it to my list! I did get a Picasso 903 Swiss Flower in the mail yesterday...I'll try to write up a report of that when I ink it up (hopefully this weekend). :D

Keep'em coming! I love this thread.

-Brandon

Very nice review!

I'll add this to my list.

My daughter, who lives in Shanghai, is going to check out some of the stores that sell fountain pens in the main part of Shanghai. I asked her to keep an eye out for some of the more "rare" Chinese fps that we don't see on eBay or Amazon. I will let you know how she fares.