Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is my collection for now...

Left to right: Jinhao 250, Jinhao x450, MB Greta Garbo, Jinhao 500, Wing Sung 233, Liqin (Dont know which model), Jinhao x450

post-129732-0-67069400-1467030252_thumb.jpg

It's all Greek to me...

Jinhao 8802 Plum Blossoms. Attractive pen; barrel appears to be covered in an enamel like material. For the smaller hand - write unposted. Is not top heavy when posted, for the cap only weighs 12g. I feel it is a pen design pattern that females would prefer, with the pretty pink plum blossoms. Might make a nice gift for the wife; teenage daughter; secretary; or just to add to your Chinese pen collection!

NIB: Steel #5 med, however, writes like a fine-med; minimal feedback (did just a bit of nib smoothing with 12,000 grit micromesh); not very wet, but good ink flow, no skipping. Looks like the same nib used on the Jinhao 599 (not the metal version)

CAP: Clip not too snug; standard Jinhao logo towards top of clip; Jinhao etched on the front of the bottom band of the clip (model # not etched on the band); snap cap; chrome furnishings; raised finial with black insert (reminds me of a crown).

SECTION: Plastic; narrowing toward the nib; very slight step down.

LENGTH: Capped 5.4"

Uncapped 4.7"

Posted 6.3"

WEIGHT: Cap 12g

Barrel 32g

fpn_1467132096__jinhao_8802review.jpg

fpn_1467129831__jinhao_8802a.jpg

Edited by Helen350

Jinhao Blue & White Pens

INK: Chesterfield Turquoise

NIB: The same nib as the Jinhao 599 (plastic versions); fairly wet;consistent ink flow; size #5. I would recommend purchasing/or exchanging the converter.

CAP: Springy--easy to clip to a shirt pocket. Does post properly; snap cap. On the bottom pen, on one side of the cap there are very small blue Chinese characters, with a small patch of red Chinese characters.

BARREL: Is not porcelain as noted on Ebay. Far too light in weight for porcelain. Metal pen. Note that the top pen has a blue cap & barrel finial, which adds a nice touch to the pattern on this particular version of the Blue & White.

SECTION: Plastic, with plastic threads. Not the same quality section as the Jinhao X750/X450/X250/650/8802 or 8812. Can't manhandle this pen when rescrewing section after inking. If you take your time it should be OK.

LENGTH: Uncapped 4 3/4"

Capped 5 3/4"

Posted 6 1/2"

WEIGHT: 28g capped

20g uncapped

CONCLUSIONS: This pen is not the best of the Jinhao line. They both have metal barrels & caps. Both do have a nice blue/white pattern. I personally prefer the top one. Cost for the two pens: $5.10. I can see using these pens for signatures; purse pen; letter writing; school notes; lists, etc. Lovely pen to give to your daughter who is learning the joys of fountain pens. That way when she drops it and steps on it, or it is found in the bottom of a drawer or school locker, it is not a financial loss (LOL). They both have a nice feel in my hand when writing, though I would not necessarily use them for heavy duty every day writing. Let's see how I feel about that in a month or two.

fpn_1467389842__jinhaobluewhitecombo.jpg

fpn_1467389873__jinhaobluewhitenib.jpg

Edited by Helen350

• 3 weeks later...

JINHAO 3000

Ivory White - Tiger - Conklin Broad Nib

Black - Eiffel Tower - Goulet 1.1 stub

CAP: Snug clip; snap cap; does post, however, a bit heavy though surprisingly balanced; chrome dome top of cap; real mesh metal overlay.

BARREL: Real mesh metal overlap with emblem (either the Tiger or the Eiffel Tower; chrome dome on top of barrel; next to the emblem you will see some very small Chinese lettering in black.

SECTION: Like the Jinhao X750; hour-glass shaped; nice to grip.

NIB: Comes with a #6 nib. I exchanged the original nibs with a Conklin Broad & the Goulet 1.1 stub.

LENGTH: Capped - 5 1/4"

Uncapped - 4 3/4"

Posted - 6 1/4"

WEIGHT: Capped 54g

Uncapped 32g

CONCLUSION: With small hands I write with this pen unposted, and really like the feel of it in my hand. It is a very robust pen. If you like a 'meatier' pen, you will like this one. Some might say it is a bit gaudy with the overlay, however, I like that overlay; gives it a different look. Cost - $13-16. One of the more costlier Jinhao pens.

fpn_1469136632__jinhao3000s1.jpg

fpn_1469137117__jinhao3000nibs3.jpg

fpn_1469137153__jinhao3000swritingsample

Can anyone play? I've just received my first Chinese pen and I'm very impressed. I wasn't expecting much to be honest - I bought it because it was pretty and cheap. It's a Jinhao 1000, medium nib. My impressions were good, straight out of the box (I was surprised it actually came in one for a start). I was expecting it to be plasticky but as you good people probably already know, it's metal, and has a good solid heft to it. It was described as mother of pearl but looking at the photos I suspected that was a bit of poetic licence, and it was. It's actually a soft silver colour, which is what I thought it was going to be so no disappointment there. Not as blingy as the big silver dragon up thread (which I adore by the way) although it's still quite dragony as it has the dragon head clip and (more subtle) scales.

Anyway, after admiring the outside I got down to business. The converter seems fairly solid and not flimsy at all. After flushing it through a few times I filled her up with Herbin Poissiere de Lune ink. It wrote beautifully right off the bat - no scratchiness, no trying to get it started. It's a fairly wet writer which I like.

The dragon clip is quite springy and not too stiff. The lid clips on well and posts well, but posted it does make the pen a bit top heavy which is the only negative I have found so far.

I have three more Chinese pens on their way to me now...

post-131090-0-08563600-1469184465_thumb.jpeg

post-131090-0-73508300-1469184479_thumb.jpeg

post-131090-0-04946700-1469184498_thumb.jpeg

post-131090-0-95491000-1469184517_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PaperGhost

Can anyone play? I've just received my first Chinese pen and I'm very impressed. I wasn't expecting much to be honest - I bought it because it was pretty and cheap. It's a Jinhao 1000, medium nib. My impressions were good, straight out of the box (I was surprised it actually came in one for a start). I was expecting it to be plasticky but as you good people probably already know, it's metal, and has a good solid heft to it. It was described as mother of pearl but looking at the photos I suspected that was a bit of poetic licence, and it was. It's actually a soft silver colour, which is what I thought it was going to be so no disappointment there. Not as blingy as the big silver dragon up thread (which I adore by the way) although it's still quite dragony as it has the dragon head clip and (more subtle) scales.

Anyway, after admiring the outside I got down to business. The converter seems fairly solid and not flimsy at all. After flushing it through a few times I filled her up with Herbin Poissiere de Lune ink. It wrote beautifully right off the bat - no scratchiness, no trying to get it started. It's a fairly wet writer which I like.

The dragon clip is quite springy and not too stiff. The lid clips on well and posts well, but posted it does make the pen a bit top heavy which is the only negative I have found so far.

I have three more Chinese pens on their way to me now...

Your first post with FPN - congratulations! I trust that you will continue to enjoy your new Chinese pen purchases. Nice pics.

Your first post with FPN - congratulations! I trust that you will continue to enjoy your new Chinese pen purchases. Nice pics.

Thank you! Most people find my love of fountain pens a little eccentric so I'm pleased to have found a place full of people who get it.

HERO 3028

Inked with Chesterfield Antique Crimson

NIB: #5 medium nib; flat bottom feed; not a wet nib but a decent ink flow; minimal feedback but not scratchy.

CAP: Easy to slip into a shirt breast pocket; has a fake stone in the top of the clip (black); clip is a thinner metal; black plastic insert in the top of the finial. The groove on the cap edge and the cap top are painted black. Made from a plastic type material. Cap trim etched: HPE 3028

BARREL: Top has the same finial as the cap top without the plastic insert. The chrome colored trim appears to have been painted, but not really metal; barrel is a plastic

SECTION: Faceted (like the Jinhao X450); appears to be metal..

CONCLUSION: This is a pen I can carry to class; use on the job (where pens typically might disappear from your desk); keep in my purse; take messages; shopping lists; or possibly a give away. If you plan on carrying this pen in a purse, or a pocket with keys, better keep it in a pen sleeve or you will probably see tiny chips of the chrome colored fittings since it is a plastic and not metal. The metal section & clip give it its weight. The pen is not a bad looking pen for 'what it is.' I would definitely not compare this with my Jinhao X750, 159, 650, 189 or my X250; Kaigelu 316, Duke 1853. With the exception of the light metal section, I would compare it with the Jinhao blue & white & Jinhao 886.

fpn_1469851350__hero3028a.jpg

fpn_1469848336__hero3028nib.jpg

fpn_1469851453__hero3028sampleb.jpg

I received a couple more in the mail. A Jinhao x450 and the other was sold as a Jinhao but didn't specify a model. After flushing through and inking them up these are my early impressions -

The x450 (blue sky) seems excellent, the quality is on a par with my 1000 which I love. It's a metal pen and a little weighty although slightly less so than the 1000 (42g vs 47g) and less top heavy when posted. It has a decent converter and writes well - wet, but not too wet, started straight away and with no skipping. The nib is a medium. I'm very pleased with it so far.

The mystery pen (blue and white vine)...I have serious doubts that this really is a Jinhao. It was very cheap even by Jinhao standards and I took a chance. The quality is pretty poor. I had some trouble unscrewing the section when it arrived as it had been threaded wrong. The main barrel seems to be metal but the cap, section and end are plastic and looking inside the cap the moulding quality is bad. The nib doesn't say Jinhao and it has a cheap, flimsy converter. The killer, though? This thing leaks like a sieve. I wrote a couple of lines with it - it wrote ok and I put the cap back on. A few minutes later I uncapped it to give it a longer writing test...there was ink all over the nib and section. I wiped it off, and then kept wiping as the ink kept coming. In the end I emptied the converter and washed it out. I won't be using this pen. Oh, well, caveat emptor I suppose.

Edited to add: at the suggestion of my better half I swapped the dodgy converter in the blue and white vine pen for a cartridge. It seems to have resolved the leakage issue. It still feels like a cheap pen, and is a little scratchy when it writes, but at least it doesn't leak now. It's not a pen I'll use often, but it's been reprieved from its fate in the dustbin.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/gda63/image_zpsgprwvgot.jpeghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/gda63/image_zps98axhljm.jpeghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/gda63/image_zpsqnpigw6y.jpeg

Edited by PaperGhost

Chinese Pens - Standard Size Senior Collection. Purchased both pens in 2014. Nib: #5 fine-med; needs nib smoothing; no skipping; fairly wet; iridium point-Germany; uses ink cartridges or a small international ink converter. Cap: Does not post; screw cap. Construction: Attractive, inexpensive acrylic/plastic. Weight: 36g capped; 22g uncapped. Length: 5 1/4"; 4 1/2 uncapped.

fpn_1465875960__nonamechina2.jpg

fpn_1465876161__nonamechina1.jpg

fpn_1465876532__nonamechina6.jpg

Helen, were do you get these wonderful toys...?????

Your handwriting is very nice too!

My contribution - Shanghai Gold Star Pen Company, blue marbled celluloid, unknown date.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/GoldStar-pen.jpg

now, see... that is nice. i want one. :puddle:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/lilypen.jpg

Edited by lovemy51

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/P9150224_zpsde3a7ed0.jpg

Targa clone...

Edited by lovemy51

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/P9150225_zpsad4d483d.jpg

my Targa clone. i think it might be by Huashi

• 3 weeks later...

I know I haven’t been contributing much recently, but anyway, I ordered in some new inks and having been a slave to italics and stubs for the last wee while, I decided to ink up my Picasso and one of my Huahongs.

I filled the Picasso with Diamine Blue/Black and the Huahong with Diamine Aster, from the flowers range, and immediately I realised that I had forgotten just how good these pens are.

The Picasso is a gorgeous pen, and the photos don’t come close to doing it justice.

It is a nice deep blue with a sparkly “firework” business going on underneath and it is just lovely. It is probably the stiffest nib I have, and it writes like a dream, super smooth with nice even consistent flow, and the blue/black suits the pen well, as a change from its’ normal “juice of choice” Sargasso Sea.

The Huahong is another excellent pen, and I’m not going to compare the 2 as they are completely different, although equally excellent.

The Huahong has a lovely juicy medium nib and is a very substantial feeling pen in the hand, and again writes beautifully.

For some reason it seems to suit my style of writing, just the right nib width maybe.

The Aster ink is really nice, and is a wee bit darker in real life than it looks in the pics, as the flash has washed it out a bit, but like the cornflower from the same range, it is lovely blue ink.

2 really nice pens, each with their own merits, which to be honest, don’t deserve to be neglected the way they have……ok, they’ve not really been neglected, but I should use them a bit more.

Cheers

Ian

fpn_1471272891__flower_king_and_belter_1

fpn_1471272970__flower_king_1.jpg

fpn_1471273242__belter_1.jpg

Helen, If I'm not mistaken, your Jinhao 8802 plum pen barrel is made of porcelain.

Yes, that one is porcelain, just like the 950. The 8802 does not use as much porcelain as the 950, and is therefore a lighter weight pen.

Had one of these, I cut down a Multi-pen stylus for tablet and put it in there so it would work as one on my tablet and smartphone, as for those BP refill, there is some online source but its far easier just to take an old simple BP refill and cut it down to fit ( making sure about the ink level of course , and if needed seal the end using some glue )

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/lilypen.jpg