• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BDUAres, I agree with Ian1964. Love that box. Nice photographs.

Today, a pen in the Hua Hong "Lava" series. Hua Hong pens are available in the West only from one eBay vendor: xiongfu1990. FPN contributor "Ian the Jock" is one of the brand's great unpaid ambassadors, which is important, because the retailer and the brand don't seem interested in things like consistent numbers or names on pens. The Lava series (named by Ian) started with red, brown, and faux marble resin finishes. The red is particularly radiant, but difficult to find, because the red pen photographs are indistinguishable from the brown. They're great writers, they have a charming Fine nib with an elegant imprint, and they typically sell for about $2.50. They are shipped for free from Shanghai or Hangzhou. We think they're new old stock, but we don't really know.

Within the last month or so, a new version is available in the Lava series, which I'm calling "Salty Oyster" in the spirit of radical clarity. It's a truly intriguing finish, which could be summed up as the answer to a design problem I would never have thought of. The problem is this: There are lots of pens with abalone finishes, made up of the lovely shell interior. But what would a pen look like if it took inspiration from the exterior of an oyster shell? The answer to this problem is the Salty Oyster finish.

Photographs and dimensions are attached below. It's a wee bit shorter than a Platinum Preppy and costs less, even with shipping. Because the name "Salty Oyster" could be replaced by "Silver Leopard Spots," it may be my least favorite of the four Lava finishes. But it looks a lot more expensive than a Preppy, will start more conversations, and defines eccentricity in a way that people who enjoy fountain pens will understand and appreciate. Modestly recommended.

Hua Hong Lava Series in Salty Oyster Finish - Overview and Dimensions

fpn_1460940912__hua-hong-salty-oyster-pe

Hua Hong Lava Series in Salty Oyster - Finish and Cap

fpn_1460940954__hua-hong-salty-oyster-fi

Hua Hong Lava Series in Salty Oyster - Nib

fpn_1460941025__hua-hong-salty-oyster-ni

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Have enjoyed writing with the Hero 901 - med. nib today! Have it inked with Chesterfield Xircon. Did just a bit of nib smoothing with 12000 micromesh and now satisfied with its performance. Fairly wet writer. It is a #5 nib. Would like to switch the converter with one that has a little ball agitator in it. Some eye catching furnishings on the cap, which gives it a more costly look. Paid $2.73. Nice clip--not too snug. I tend to prefer Jinhao pens, though I have a couple of other Chinese pens - Kaigelu & Duke. I like the #6 nib on both the X750 & X450 - easier to find a replacement nib. Love the Goulet 1.1 stubs on my X750 & Noodler pens. Order my X450s with the broad nib.

Weight - 37 g

Length - 142mm

Diameter - 13 mmhttp://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/x4IAAOSwFnFWAgFO/s-l1600.jpg

fpn_1460947486__snapshot_20160417.jpg
Edited by Helen350

1st post here. Hope you like it,

This is the Jinhao FP-LDCR-2, which some people may have thought did not exist outside of a single image on the Jinhao pen website.

My wife bought it for me directly from the Shanghai Qiangu Stationery Company in 2004. It looks similar to the 1200, but the cap is very different, and the body does not feel "smooth" like a 1200. Instead you can feel the scales. It was packaged in a Jinhao Number 23 box

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/bduares/Pens/20160413_212717_zpswp4gqfax.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/bduares/Pens/20160413_212744_zpshadpyioz.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/bduares/Pens/20160413_212727_zpsn0r4tyas.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/bduares/Pens/20160413_212844_zpslvimh7kt.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/bduares/Pens/20160413_212929_zpslgcdlwrt.jpghttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/bduares/Pens/20160413_212900_zpsq9xgdvjb.jpg

BDUAres

Cracking pen, a proper "Scaly Dragon"

It looks very impressive with the full package.

Ian

BDUAres, I agree with Ian1964. Love that box. Nice photographs.

Today, a pen in the Hua Hong "Lava" series. Hua Hong pens are available in the West only from one eBay vendor: xiongfu1990. FPN contributor "Ian the Jock" is one of the brand's great unpaid ambassadors, which is important, because the retailer and the brand don't seem interested in things like consistent numbers or names on pens. The Lava series (named by Ian) started with red, brown, and faux marble resin finishes. The red is particularly radiant, but difficult to find, because the red pen photographs are indistinguishable from the brown. They're great writers, they have a charming Fine nib with an elegant imprint, and they typically sell for about $2.50. They are shipped for free from Shanghai or Hangzhou. We think they're new old stock, but we don't really know.

Within the last month or so, a new version is available in the Lava series, which I'm calling "Salty Oyster" in the spirit of radical clarity. It's a truly intriguing finish, which could be summed up as the answer to a design problem I would never have thought of. The problem is this: There are lots of pens with abalone finishes, made up of the lovely shell interior. But what would a pen look like if it took inspiration from the exterior of an oyster shell? The answer to this problem is the Salty Oyster finish.

Photographs and dimensions are attached below. It's a wee bit shorter than a Platinum Preppy and costs less, even with shipping. Because the name "Salty Oyster" could be replaced by "Silver Leopard Spots," it may be my least favorite of the four Lava finishes. But it looks a lot more expensive than a Preppy, will start more conversations, and defines eccentricity in a way that people who enjoy fountain pens will understand and appreciate. Modestly recommended.

Hua Hong Lava Series in Salty Oyster Finish - Overview and Dimensions

fpn_1460940912__hua-hong-salty-oyster-pe

Hua Hong Lava Series in Salty Oyster - Finish and Cap

fpn_1460940954__hua-hong-salty-oyster-fi

Hua Hong Lava Series in Salty Oyster - Nib

fpn_1460941025__hua-hong-salty-oyster-ni

Bob

I like the salty oyster finish, but then that probably won't surprise you.

These are great pens, and well worth seeking out.

There is another seller who sells Hua Hongs and lists them as such, but the pricing is crazy compared with the seller you mentioned, as they can sometimes be up to $30 plus shipping.

For anyone else who hasn't tried a Huahong, give one a bash, they are surprisingly good.

Have enjoyed writing with the Hero 901 - med. nib today! Have it inked with Chesterfield Xircon. Did just a bit of nib smoothing with 12000 micromesh and now satisfied with its performance. Fairly wet writer. It is a #5 nib. Would like to switch the converter with one that has a little ball agitator in it. Some eye catching furnishings on the cap, which gives it a more costly look. Paid $2.73. Nice clip--not too snug. I tend to prefer Jinhao pens, though I have a couple of other Chinese pens - Kaigelu & Duke. I like the #6 nib on both the X750 & X450 - easier to find a replacement nib. Love the Goulet 1.1 stubs on my X750 & Noodler pens. Order my X450s with the broad nib.

Weight - 37 g

Length - 142mm

Diameter - 13 mmhttp://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/x4IAAOSwFnFWAgFO/s-l1600.jpg

fpn_1460947486__snapshot_20160417.jpg

Nice pics Helen

I have looked at this pen on many occasions, as it always seems to be at the fore when you type fountain pen into ebay China.

It's nice to see it in use and with such great photos.

Ian

I hope you don't mind Bob, but I thought I'd show another from the same "Lava" series, but in the "plainer" attire.

Same shape, design, and cap style, but in plain black and chrome (with gold bits and a textured/lined cap).

fpn_1460987128__huahong_c_cap_teal.jpg

As I said in the pic. These Huahongs are well worth "rooting" out, as they are such good value.

Ian

I got 2 Hero pens that I adore on Saturday. Now, I'm happy with my set-up. A dedicated pen for every color that I like to use.

25900079984_c00bab2463.jpg

My Pens by Richila, on Flickr

Edited by richila

I bought this pen as part of my ever growing collection of those I am "stubbing". However, the pen writes fantastically and I just can't bring myself to change the nib. It is surprisingly well balanced and a pleasure to hold. Maybe a little to garish for some but I love it!

post-120079-0-08774100-1461019558_thumb.jpg

I don't know why my posts always seem to crop after I post them....sorry for the quality or lack of.

Ian

I can enlarge your pic just by tapping it, so no issues with your pics.

I don't have any Luoshi pens, however, I have considered one of the leather clad numbers they do.

Yours is pretty impressive, and I'm pleased to hear that it's such a good writer.

I've been like that with a few of my Chinese pens too, they write so well that I just don't want to change the nibs, even though I have supposedly better nibs sitting waiting.

Ian

Thanks Ian...yes tapping works well.

I have bought several Luoshi pens, all very "blingy" if I am completely honest and all very good writers. They generally sit around the $5 to $7 mark. Very good build quality as well. It was the great topic last year about "stubbing" that has spawned a whole new interest for me and the Chinese pens represent great value to perfect this hobby.

Ian, the Luoshi design looks a bit like a harmonica.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

And funnily enough, after looking again at the Huahong seller Bob mentioned, I ended up buying a Luoshi 335 yesterday, my first of that brand. I just bought it as I like brown pens. If the nib is as good as Ian's, I won't be too disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Helen, I love the imprint on the Kaigelu nibs, and had not realized they had started with branding on the section.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Kaigelu #220 - Medium Nib

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4rgAAOSwKIpWCkLB/s-l500.jpg

fpn_1461590249__snapshot_20160425_3.jpg

Great Kaigelus Helen, and great pics.

I love my Kaigelus, especially the nibs, which is the reason I've never changed any of the nibs on mine.

A nib with a Kangaroo on it.........do you need aNYthing else? :D

Helen, I love the imprint on the Kaigelu nibs, and had not realized they had started with branding on the section.

Bob

You can still get Kaigelu's with the imprint on the section, and there are a few different pens if I remember correctly.

And funnily enough, after looking again at the Huahong seller Bob mentioned, I ended up buying a Luoshi 335 yesterday, my first of that brand. I just bought it as I like brown pens. If the nib is as good as Ian's, I won't be too disappointed.

... well, actually I bought 2 Luoshi 335s and they arrived today. I just did a quick dip test and my first impression is that it writes very well, nib is definitely fine (unlike most Chinese 'mediums') and no smoothing required. Shown below with a Baoer 507 (top):

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/garyjc_photos/luoshi-335-IMG_0047-crop.jpg

Gary,

that Luoshi in the middle, just under the Baoer 507, is handsome. Nice looking pen.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

I really like the look of those....good choices.

Thanks, I just bought another, I think there are at least 4 in the series, although at least one of the sellers (hrongfdsb) on eBay is not shipping to the UK for some reason. My order went through xiongfu1990 who Bob mentioned in connection with Huahong pens originally.

I may well take the time to get my proper camera out and do a full review this weekend.