sannidh

Wanted to know why you prefer pilot nibs over your nakaya? I am controlling an urge to get one. Are you using their fine nibs or something?

Yep, I am using EF nib in the Nakaya and F in pilot.

Pilot nibs are usually longer than Nakaya nibs which I believe are 3776 nibs adjusted by Nakaya craftsmen or nibmeisters. I like longer nibs.

Both are really smooth to write with despite being so fine, but I like the feel of the pilot nib when it touches the paper more than what I feel when Nakaya touches the paper.

Otherwise, both just glide on paper without any feedback. Great pens.

Line width of EF is just what is would like for my cramped up small handwriting.

For this reason, I have ordered an EF nib on my Hakase.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Dhruv_Sood

• maverink

• hari317

Thank you so much. Could not agree more with you or Hari on the amazing patterns.

Just curious if you feel more inclined towards writing with the unpolished wooden one vs the coated one? Coz my only other wooden pen (Elemento) does have quite a bit of varnishing on it.

Best,

Sonik

I've only been using both of these for a week or so and I tend to reach out more to the unpolished one.That might also be becuase it is an understated sandalwood pen though. I seem to like more understated pens than the one ones with more shiny metallic trimmings. However, both the pens and the nibs are amazing and require a thorough review. The one thing I've had to be very very careful about with the unpolished one is to ensure that I'm careful when refilling. I almost always remove the converter out and leave the wooden parts a few meters away.

I'll write them up once I've given both of them a better spin.

One quick question though, having read all your wonderful reviews, I did want to know if you ever had problems shipping pens into India.

Yep, I am using EF nib in the Nakaya and F in pilot.

Pilot nibs are usually longer than Nakaya nibs which I believe are 3776 nibs adjusted by Nakaya craftsmen or nibmeisters. I like longer nibs.

Both are really smooth to write with despite being so fine, but I like the feel of the pilot nib when it touches the paper more than what I feel when Nakaya touches the paper.

Otherwise, both just glide on paper without any feedback. Great pens.

Line width of EF is just what is would like for my cramped up small handwriting.

For this reason, I have ordered an EF nib on my Hakase.

Thanks for sharing. The urushi anyway looks exquisite on the nakayas. Izumo President nibs are also said to be manually tuned on their site (not custom though). Will your Hakase come with a pilot#15 nib or a customized one?

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

I've only been using both of these for a week or so and I tend to reach out more to the unpolished one.That might also be becuase it is an understated sandalwood pen though. I seem to like more understated pens than the one ones with more shiny metallic trimmings. However, both the pens and the nibs are amazing and require a thorough review. The one thing I've had to be very very careful about with the unpolished one is to ensure that I'm careful when refilling. I almost always remove the converter out and leave the wooden parts a few meters away.

I'll write them up once I've given both of them a better spin.

One quick question though, having read all your wonderful reviews, I did want to know if you ever had problems shipping pens into India.

Glad to know :). May I know the make of these pens ? (have reasonable doubt on the sandalwood one being fosfor after going through Pankaj's review)

And you are right about a wooden section, better to fill the converter directly.

Regarding the shipping thing - I had stopped getting pens shipped some time back, when I heard from a friend his ordered good declared as "fountain pens" were getting refused by Japan post. So the seller declared it as drawing instrument or something. And then some problems with gifting + big packets and now cocaine :D. I usually buy from Engeika's Indian arm (pay 5-10% extra), they clear customs (have an import license) and replacement of defective pen is convenient for me.

Thanks for sharing. The urushi anyway looks exquisite on the nakayas. Izumo President nibs are also said to be manually tuned on their site (not custom though). Will your Hakase come with a pilot#15 nib or a customized one?

Thank you for the information. I am really interested in a platinum music nib which is supposed to be the best. Pity I can't get it on an Izumo since I prefer bigger nibs.

Hakase will come with a Pilot #15 size nib with EF point. At least that's what the plan is right now.

amazing pics sonik i love the grains on your matte tagayasan

the only deal breaker is that they are huge pens cannot be carrieed in my shirt pocket.

platinum 3776 nibs are wonderful but the translucent plastics feel cheap and get scratched easily the 3776 celluloids briars are expensive. president is not value for money compared to a 3776 unless you want a thicker pen. i wish platinum could make the pen bodies like that of sailor or pilot or MB

i love the 3776 nibs and now like the black more than the chartres blue or red a change of heart ;)

the biggest problem with wooden pens is the staining my sandalwood pen has got stained damn.

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Thank you for the information. I am really interested in a platinum music nib which is supposed to be the best. Pity I can't get it on an Izumo since I prefer bigger nibs.

Hakase will come with a Pilot #15 size nib with EF point. At least that's what the plan is right now.

dhruv are you sure you want a EF nib on a hakase?do you write really small?

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

+1 urushi over ebonite love the gloss on my 845

And all indian pens

Glad to know :). May I know the make of these pens ? (have reasonable doubt on the sandalwood one being fosfor after going through Pankaj's review)

And you are right about a wooden section, better to fill the converter directly.

Regarding the shipping thing - I had stopped getting pens shipped some time back, when I heard from a friend his ordered good declared as "fountain pens" were getting refused by Japan post. So the seller declared it as drawing instrument or something. And then some problems with gifting + big packets and now cocaine :D. I usually buy from Engeika's Indian arm (pay 5-10% extra), they clear customs (have an import license) and replacement of defective pen is convenient for me.

Yes it is :-). Here is a not-so-great picture of it. I simply don't do justice to the pen with my picture: https://instagram.com/p/6fmQl0ks-c/

I might at some point use their services to buy one of the Soft Nibs on the Japanese pens.

Edited by flummoxed

amazing pics sonik i love the grains on your matte tagayasan

the only deal breaker is that they are huge pens cannot be carrieed in my shirt pocket.

platinum 3776 nibs are wonderful but the translucent plastics feel cheap and get scratched easily the 3776 celluloids briars are expensive. president is not value for money compared to a 3776 unless you want a thicker pen. i wish platinum could make the pen bodies like that of sailor or pilot or MB

i love the 3776 nibs and now like the black more than the chartres blue or red a change of heart ;)

the biggest problem with wooden pens is the staining my sandalwood pen has got stained damn.

Thank Ravi..You are probably right, I do not carry these around, for fear of damage.

I know you are the biggest fan of #3776 nibs for the value for money they give, you have told me multiple times :)

They can use pmma ones at least and increase their price by 10-15 USDs, it might sell better than the c74s & pro gear slims, given the bigger nib.

Suggest filling ink directly from the converter or using cartridges only..(Not sure if cleaning with a dishwashing liquid will help remove the stain, best to ask the manufacturer)

Best,

Sonik

Yes it is :-). Here is a not-so-great picture of it. I simply don't do justice to the pen with my picture: https://instagram.com/p/6fmQl0ks-c/

I might at some point use their services to buy one of the Soft Nibs on the Japanese pens.

:rolleyes:

dhruv are you sure you want a EF nib on a hakase?do you write really small?

Yes, I write really small. I believe I have posted a sample of my handwriting with the Nakaya in the Indian board.

Platinum nibs are a run a little finer than their pilot counterparts. Iirc, EF line widths are

For Platinum - 0.18mm

For Pilot - 0.2mm

UEF for platinum - 0.1mm

UEF pilot - as per my knowledge, doesn't exist. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, I write really small. I believe I have posted a sample of my handwriting with the Nakaya in the Indian board.

Platinum nibs are a run a little finer than their pilot counterparts. Iirc, EF line widths are

For Platinum - 0.18mm

For Pilot - 0.2mm

UEF for platinum - 0.1mm

UEF pilot - as per my knowledge, doesn't exist. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I can recommend a Mike Masuyama ground EF from Franklin Christoph. I've used one for a while now and it is incredible(both forward and backward writing). I must however say that my experience with EF nibs, high quality nibs or Japanese nibs is limited.

@sonik my sandalwood pen cap got stained by ink leaking from the clip area near the crown of the cap i do take full care while filling ink in the pen, now the cap has a blue stain i guess its the part and parcel of owning a wooden ink pen and now i have come to accept it, i managed to keep it unstained for about a year till this happened. i still have my pilot kaede and other wooden pens in pristine condition ;-)

@Dhruv pilot PO nib which is highly regarded here in fpn is the closest pilot gets to platinum UEF miatagirl did a review of the pilot PO nib pls do check it out. only downside is that it may be a nail.i had to scribble on a mirror for few minutes to get it write smoothly

when are you making that fp buying trip to singapore to check out the nakaya, namiki pens at aesthetic bay?

Edited by maverink

And all indian pens

Another reason why I still haven't bought an non-lacquer wooden pen (referring to your reply to soniknitr). Even of the section is made out ebonite, cap and barrel can still get stained on rare occasions. I have had ink on my cap only twice, but with a wooden pen, that's enough.

Referring to your reply to me:

I was interested in PO nib but turns out, it's essentially an EF nib with a downward curve (I think that's what it is called, feel free to correct me). That downward curve makes it hard as a nail.

I don't recall ever planning a trip to Singapore to buy FP's from aestheticbay. Was that for me?

I bought my Nakaya from Aestheticbay. The seller is very nice with good communication and fast shipping. Plus, he is very understanding too.

@sonik my sandalwood pen cap got stained by ink leaking from the clip area near the crown of the cap i do take full care while filling ink in the pen, now the cap has a blue stain i guess its the part and parcel of owning a wooden ink pen and now i have come to accept it, i managed to keep it unstained for about a year till this happened. i still have my pilot kaede and other wooden pens in pristine condition ;-)

Kaede is a beautiful pen with an always efficient Pilot #10 nib. Belated congratulations!! Rather unfortunate thing for the sandalwood, I think ink leakage can stain most of the non-varnished wooden caps. And the plastic inner cap is actually useless if there is a ink overflow and fair amount of ink deposit inside it.

Another reason why I still haven't bought an non-lacquer wooden pen (referring to your reply to soniknitr). Even of the section is made out ebonite, cap and barrel can still get stained on rare occasions. I have had ink on my cap only twice, but with a wooden pen, that's enough.

Referring to your reply to me:

I was interested in PO nib but turns out, it's essentially an EF nib with a downward curve (I think that's what it is called, feel free to correct me). That downward curve makes it hard as a nail.

I don't recall ever planning a trip to Singapore to buy FP's from aestheticbay. Was that for me?

I bought my Nakaya from Aestheticbay. The seller is very nice with good communication and fast shipping. Plus, he is very understanding too.

For the UEF/EF nibs, I feel it's safer to purchase these pre-tuned/from nibmeisters like you did for nakaya/hakase or a CFP, the stock ones might be a hit or miss.

Edited by soniknitr

True.

Hakase asks for you hand position, pen holding position, notebook position and nib position while writing to tune the nib exactly as per your needs. Writing sample is also needed.

He even asked for photographs while writing to check my writing positions since they are very odd.

True.

Hakase asks for you hand position, pen holding position, notebook position and nib position while writing to tune the nib exactly as per your needs. Writing sample is also needed.

He even asked for photographs while writing to check my writing positions since they are very odd.

Did not know about photographs. Nice to know :)