Lost The Jewel On Esterbrook J. Suggestions On What To Do?

New_Falcon

Hello All,

I have an Esterbrook J, that I really enjoy using. Somehow I seem to have lost the jewel on the end of the barrel. It seems that it just popped out as I don't see any threads. Shining a light down there I can see the bar wrapping around the sack.

So what should I do now? A quick search suggests that there's no aftermarket and no regular source for replacements.

So if there's no replacement option is there anything I could use to block off the end?

Thanks all.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• New_Falcon

• jdllizard

• sombrueil

Johnny Cash summed it up nicely: "Cry Cry Cry".

Or, cannibalize an Esterbrook parts pen for a jewel, but that's easier said than done on a "J", as the jewels are friction pressed into place

There are a few who were working on reproducing them, but not sure whatever happened with that.

John L

So somehow it seems that I found the jewel that had popped off.

Is it now a matter of just popping it back in or is some sort of adhesive advised?

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

So somehow it seems that I found the jewel that had popped off.

Is it now a matter of just popping it back in or is some sort of adhesive advised?

If it's not broken, it should look like a little mushroom with a stem like post that is then friction pressed into place on the pen. If that stem like piece is broken off, I would NOT suggest gluing what's left into place. You'd be better off finding an intact jewel from a donor pen. Edited by jdllizard

John L

If you need a donor pen, I have a broken J barrel with a decent jewel. Yours free if you want it. PM me if you want it. I also have the cap with a broken clip but intact jewel.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Note that the term "donor pen" is something of a misnomer. It's really shorthand for wakes-up-in-a-hotel-bathtub-packed-in-ice-and-missing-kidneys pen. ;-)

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/robbery/kidney.asp

Edited by Chouffleur

Note that the term "donor pen" is something of a misnomer. It's really shorthand for wakes-up-in-a-hotel-bathtub-packed-in-ice-and-missing-kidneys pen. ;-)

:lticaptd:

On a more serious note.... My understanding is that unless you cannibalize a parts pen, jewels on Esties are hard to come by. I've seen similar threads where people improvised -- someone made copper discs in the right diameter and put them on a Copper J series pen, and the results were fairly attractive (although I don't know if that person did anything to prevent oxidation and have the "jewels" end up looking about the color of the Statue of Libery otherwise...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If you want to keep the Esterbrook in "original-ish" condition, there are few options, other than donor parts. On the other hand, there are lots of pretty things that can be glued into the hole. Visit the local craft store. Search through old jewelry. Got a favorite lapel pin ? How about the gold stud that the stupid kid wears as a tongue piercing ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

If Brian cannot help you, Check with "Farmboy" here on the forums as well!

I do not have any loose "J" jewels myself... (SJ/LJ jewels I do have..)

Good Luck, and happy hunting!

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

• 4 weeks later...

Replace it with a miniature glass eyeball.

I think that would look very nice.

Clever...

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

:lticaptd:

On a more serious note.... My understanding is that unless you cannibalize a parts pen, jewels on Esties are hard to come by. I've seen similar threads where people improvised -- someone made copper discs in the right diameter and put them on a Copper J series pen, and the results were fairly attractive (although I don't know if that person did anything to prevent oxidation and have the "jewels" end up looking about the color of the Statue of Libery otherwise...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I didn't when I made mine, but they polish up easy

Edited by scully012

Ah, that's really funny.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.