Review: Franklin-Christoph 02 Intrinsic Emerald & Ice

TheGreatRoe

A more slightly expanded version of this review is posted on my personal blog.

post-97570-0-49244800-1439751064_thumb.jpg
I love Franklin-Christoph pens–and I love the company, too. This is, in part, local pride as we’re both residents of North Carolina’s Research Triangle. However, I also love them because of all the companies I’ve seen, F-C seems to have a flair for experimentation and innovation.

Appearance: 8/10
I really think this pen is beautiful. And more importantly, the “ice” effect—done by applying some sort of texturing treatment to the interior of the cap and barrel—is something unique to my collection. The Emerald final—made of a slightly pearlescent darkish green material—provided a nice contrast to the Ice body. The pen tapers dramatically from the section, back toward the end, which results in a silhouette that is odd, but not unpleasant.
post-97570-0-95412500-1439751080_thumb.jpg
I think I would have preferred if the section was also the Emerald material. I usually write unposted, and this would have given the pen body just a bit of flair.

Construction: 9/10
This is an uncommonly well-made pen. The shape was very well thought out—the taper ensures that the pen is only 3mm longer when posted than when capped. Where the Clear material is untreated—at the ends—the pen is crystal clear. A few reviews have mentioned that the clips feel flimsy, or cheap. I don’t know if I agree, but I also really don’t care about clips, as long as they keep the pen where it should be.
post-97570-0-15521500-1439751072_thumb.jpg
The construction highlight of this pen is the threads that seal the pen to the cap. They are all the way down at the end of the section. Not only are they so forward that you won’t touch the threads unless you hold your pen uncommonly close to the nib. But even if you do, F-C used block threads so there are no sharp ridges.

Filling: 8/10
It’s a C/C. I like C/Cs. The threads are at the very end of the section, so they will get inky; but since they’re block threads they’re just as easy to wipe off as any smooth part of the pen.

It’s also made to work as an eyedropper. In fact, as other reviews have touched on, the “ice” effect seems to be enhanced when using the pen as an eyedropper. But I hate eyedroppers. My hands are always a little warm, and no matter what I do I wind up with globs of ink on the page. So I’ll never get to see this pen in all its glory.

Nib: 8/10
I got the Steel Extra Fine nib. While there’s nothing special about the nib, it came in perfect condition. Smooth, and had obviously been tuned—wet but not too wet. No spring to it—at least not yet. IN the near future this one will be headed off to Art of Art’s Nibs for the Tomahawk treatment.
post-97570-0-80818900-1439751067_thumb.jpg

Test Drive: 9/10
This pen feels great in my hand—which I already knew from my previous experience with the F-C 02. Of all the F-C pens I have tried (02, 19, 25, 27, 29) this is my favorite. They’re all great writers but this one feels the best—it just fits my hand and my writing.
post-97570-0-46477600-1439751076_thumb.jpg

What stops it from being a 10 is that the cap is not particularly secure when posted. After a couple of minutes of writing the cap loosens a little, and while it’s never fallen off it will loosen enough that it will rattle a little, until I either take it off the pen or re-secure it.

Overall: 8.4/10
The Franklin-Christoph 02 Intrinsic Emerald & Ice. Beautiful, well-built and a great writer, it’s a great everyday pen.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheGreatRoe

• pepsiplease69

• visvamitra

• Abner C. Kemp

Great review. Kudos on finding an ink that matches the emerald in your pen almost perfectly!! If you ever decide to eyedropper it please post some pictures, I bet it would look cool with the emerald ink sloshing around inside. I'm pleasantly surprised by how fine the extra-fine is. Very informative. Thanks a lot!!

A little something to add to the review: The EF nib just wasn't doing it for me. I contacted F-C and they invited me to visit their office and try their nib testers. I went in expecting to choose a HPS Broad Stub, but after trying it I upgraded to the HPS Broad Italic, for a small charge.

Excellent customer service.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thank you for the review

There seems to be an increased interest in FC and this pen in recent times... Based on this and some other reviews covering different models ... And the option of a Mike Masuyama nib ... This is definitely on my shopping list..... Which is getting much too long .....