New Pelikan M201 Neptune Blue & Mars Red

sargetalon

I didn't see this posted yet. Fahrney's Pens out of D.C. is getting two exclusive releases from Pelikan and both are going to be limited to just 100 pieces. Deja vu? This is the exact same scenario that played out with the FPH's Bayou. These are going to be M200s designated as M201s and they are definitely unique in their finishes. The finishes are called Mars Red and Neptune Blue. I'm not sure what to make of these and will have to see them in person before I make up my mind. I wrote about it on my blog here and this is the direct link to Fahrney's Pens.

What do you guys think of this one? Looks to be $170 for EF, F, M, and B and $182 for Italic.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• risingsun

• sargetalon

• Kugelschreiber

• penultress

Are these barrel patterns similar to others Pelikan has used? The Bayou, of course, was similar to the Grand Place. To me, the Mars red brings to mind the Madrid Cities collection pen and the Neptune blue the Blue o' Blue 800.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I'm not sure what to make of these and will have to see them in person before I make up my mind.

Does that mean you are considering not getting these ones? That would be a shame, now that you are soooo close to complete the M2xx series. I hope you get them.

From my part, I loved the pens. But unfortunately there's no way I can buy them, since starting today I am on a self imposed ban and will only buy new pens next year :( (and the first in line is the M800 Burnt Orange).

In any case, it is nice to see these new LE releases in the M20x series - I love my Bayou. I just wish they would have a larger number of pens (perhaps 500), so that more people could get them and that we would have a couple of months to decide.

There has been a lot of new releases this year. Is this typical for Pelikan?

Edited by Lam1

I am a completionist and very serious about owning the entire Classic series so of course I bought the two new M201s before even rolling out of bed. I'm just reserving judgement on their looks until I have them in hand. 2015 seems a little atypical for Pelikan as we have seen a ton of releases this year (and good ones to boot). I'm hoping for a bit of a breather in 2016 personally.

I'm wondering if Pelikan is cleaning out their closets and perhaps finding a useful and profitable way to dispose of some left over resin from prior projects. Just a thought to explain the parallels these pens seem to be drawing with older releases.

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

I am a completionist and very serious about owning the entire Classic series so of course I bought the two new M201s before even rolling out of bed. I'm just reserving judgement on their looks until I have them in hand. 2015 seems a little atypical for Pelikan as we have seen a ton of releases this year (and good ones to boot). I'm hoping for a bit of a breather in 2016 personally.

I'm wondering if Pelikan is cleaning out their closets and perhaps finding a useful and profitable way to dispose of some left over resin from prior projects. Just a thought to explain the parallels these pens seem to be drawing with older releases.

Oh, I misunderstood your previous post, and I'm glad to see that you are getting these ones and still going strong for the classic series.

I hope you are correct about the reason we are seeing so many new releases this year, and I too hope that next year they have a little bit less, so I can catch up.

I agree with you Joshua--it seems likely they are using the same stock material. I'd be on board if they would offer these with gold nibs for the same price point! How about with new or old style gold nibs (only half joking)? As much as I love the design I don't like the steel nibs, so the price is high for what you get imo.

I agree with you Joshua--it seems likely they are using the same stock material. I'd be on board if they would offer these with gold nibs for the same price point! How about with new or old style gold nibs (only half joking)? As much as I love the design I don't like the steel nibs, so the price is high for what you get imo.

I completely agree with the high price point. I guess some of it can be chalked up to exclusivity/scarcity. I can only cringe at what the asking price may be for these a few years down the road in the secondary market. Will probably make the $170 look like a bargain.

I can only cringe at what the asking price may be for these a few years down the road in the secondary market. Will probably make the $170 look like a bargain.

They probably will go for a higher price. However, I couldn't even get the list price for my once inked and lightly used FPH Bayou in the Classifieds here recently.

~ George Orwell

How am I supposed to be saving $ for the upcoming pen show when things like this pop up? :puddle: :wacko:

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Pelikan have a habit of re-using material and marketing it as something "new". They did that with the recent Cognac demonstrator, except they called it Amber first time round.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Mine arrived and I don't think there is any doubt that these two are to the M800 Blue O' Blue and the M620 Madrid, just as the Bayou is to the M620 Grand Palace. The transparency of the Mars is significant in the non-mottled parts, and the Neptune just a bit less so, but still easy to see through. All in all, they are great additions to the line, in my mind.

I prefer the Neptune over Mars, personally, just as I have a higher admiration of the BoB over the Madrid.

Edited by risingsun

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Mine arrived and I don't think there is any doubt that these two are to the M800 Blue O' Blue and the M620 Madrid, just as the Bayou is to the M620 Grand Palace.

I hope they have some Green o' Green left in Hanover. :D

~ George Orwell

Mine arrived and I don't think there is any doubt that these two are to the M800 Blue O' Blue and the M620 Madrid, just as the Bayou is to the M620 Grand Palace. The transparency of the Mars is significant in the non-mottled parts, and the Neptune just a bit less so, but still easy to see through. All in all, they are great additions to the line, in my mind.

I prefer the Neptune over Mars, personally, just as I have a higher admiration of the BoB over the Madrid.

Pics ??

Okay, here are some amateur photos to help show the new M201s (along side the Bayou and the M800 Blue O' Blue for comparison purposes). Sorry I don't own a M620 Madrid to compare to the Mars.

20767855885_eb4be00c91_c.jpg

20146810703_20029b711b_c.jpg

20741654376_9cb344a5a4_c.jpg

Edited by risingsun

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Very nice Dan. Neptune Blue is growing on me. The trio look great together.