The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Looking For A Well-Behaved Black Ink For A Fine Nib?

black ink wet monteverde

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 merrycitrine

merrycitrine

Spacig

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:53

Hello everyone,

I have been using Monteverde's Black ink for the last year in my pens. I must say, I am really not a fan of this ink. It smudges even a few days after the writing has been done. It is very dry and makes my fine nibs skip a lot. It is not easy to clean out either. I have heard people say good things about this ink, so maybe it is just not for me. I have forced myself to use it for a year so that maybe I can change my mind about it, but I think it is finally time to get a new staple black.

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for a nice wet ink that flows well and washes out well. I have some fine and extra fine nibs that I would like to use this with. Permanence would be nice too, but I would like it to flow well.

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:27

Parker Quink and Herbin are rather cheap and easy-flowing. I use black Quink in most of my pens.

#3 canibanoglu

canibanoglu

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2015 - 13:26

Aurora Black is an ink that I tried recently and I must say that it really is a very good black, the best I have tried so far (that doesn't mean much though, I have only 4 bottles of blacks). It flows very well, the color is really deep. Water resistance isn't that great though. But you can still read what you have written (mostly).

I sometimes write about pens, inks and papers!

#4 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2015 - 21:06

I don't like Montblanc Black either, though I do like the bottle. I don't recall the smudging, but it did not clean out of my pens easily and I didn't like the color of black that it had.

I like Noodler's Black. It behaves well in my daily writer.

Some people have reported the same smudging with this ink. (I don't experience it.) So, another really good option is Noodler's Heart of Darkness. 

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel, 16 August 2015 - 21:08.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#5 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:19

I don't often use black, but when I do it is Noodler's Black. I do have some Blackstone Black Cashmere, but it is NOT commercially available at the present time, although Blackstone does have a black that is available. I don't believe it is the same ink though as Black Cashmere. (justwrite.com.au in Australia)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#6 UDog

UDog

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:37

For excellent flow, you might consider Noodler's Dark Matter.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

#7 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:56

Herbin Perle Noire
Pilot Namiki Black
Sheaffer Skrip Black
None are waterproof but all have decent water resistance and are well behaved.

#8 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:30

I once used Sailor Kiwaguro... but I wont recommend this ink so easily unless your pen is really easy to clean... literally easy to clean you can do a full disassembly and a scrubber at hand since it sticks to the underside of the nib

#9 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:37

I'm using Waterman black in my dryer pens, and Cross/Pelikan black in my wet pens.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#10 fireofspring

fireofspring

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:20

+1 for Aurora Black. I have 6 back-up bottles of the stuff. (It's not easy to find in Australia.)

Haven't tried any of the Noodlers' black inks, though I know they're popular with artists and calligraphers. 

#11 MKeith

MKeith

"A man's got to know his limitations"

• Member - Gold

• 894 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2015 - 00:49

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black is a good one. It is quick drying and has some nice resistance to water etc.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

#12 Cal_D

Cal_D

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:03

Noodlers Heart of Darkness or Bulletproof black. If your pen is skipping, then it might be your nib has a bit of issue, like misaligned tines.  If you need a lubricated ink, then look at the eel line.  But HOD is a really great ink that is well loved by many.

#13 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• 2,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:19

+1 for Perle Noire. There are blacker blacks out there and more waterproof inks and much wetter inks, but as an all purpose black which behaves well under any circumstances I've found no better ink.

Greetings,
Michael

#14 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:50

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black is a good one. It is quick drying and has some nice resistance to water etc.

It's a very beautiful dark black ink, but alas it is not as free flowing as certain others.

#15 dneal

dneal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:43

This.  Pelikan 4001 is my go-to black.

#16 haruka337

haruka337

( •̀ω•́ )✧

• Member - Gold

• 1,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:59

Sailor Kiwa-guro.

Very lubricating, water-proof, color-fast; never had difficulty cleaning it out of any pen myself.

Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi is another fine choice. A wet ink that is water resistant and, much like Sailor Kiwa-guro, this black ink has a lot of depth and shading. These are my current go-to black inks.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

#17 pkoko

pkoko

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:42

I would say Noodler BP Black, eel series, or HoD (heart of darkness). Pelikan 4001 or Cross black are the same great ink. I love my Pelikan 4001 blk as it is less maintenance than Noodlers.

I would rank the flow Pelikan blk = HoD<Blk<eel blk.

I think of my FPs as my children.

#18 merrycitrine

merrycitrine

Spacig

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:58

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! After all the comments, I feel like Noodler's black would  be a good choice to go with! I am really happy that it has advertised bulletproof properties too. I'll try it out :)

#19 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,571 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2015 - 19:19

Aurora Black is an ink that I tried recently and I must say that it really is a very good black, the best I have tried so far (that doesn't mean much though, I have only 4 bottles of blacks). It flows very well, the color is really deep. Water resistance isn't that great though. But you can still read what you have written (mostly).

I've been looking for a deep, well-lubricating ink for my Aurora EF nib (which as it happens writes like an EEF) and found that Aurora black is amazing. I also use it in my Sailor pens now.

In my Pelikans, which are wetter writers, I like Pelikan Black.
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#20 J85909266

J85909266

Fountain Blade

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2015 - 18:56

Another huge recommendation for Noodler's Black.

1. It's black, not gray.
  2. It's permanent when dry
  3. It's very affordable in North America
  4. It's nice and wet
  5. It's well-behaved on low-quality paper
  6. It's very resistant to feathering
  7. It doesn't smudge when dry, even on smooth paper like Rhodia

I honestly will buy nothing but Noodler's black until the day it runs dry.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black, ink, wet, monteverde

Sponsored Content

|