The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc Dostoevsky And Wilde (Broken Piston/fillers) Photos

montblanc dostoevsky broken service piston we writers edition le wilde

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PFM 5

PFM 5

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2015 - 00:11

Hello, so after years of "sobriety" from my pen addiction I've gone into a MB writers edition binge. The result of one of these binges was an apparently un-inked (Boxes/papers) Dostoevsky which I received with a broken piston. I attempted to then drown my sorrows with my Oscar Wilde which I've had for many years and the entire piston assembly came off. So the Dostoevsky has been shipped back to the seller while the Oscar Wilde will probably be visiting his birthplace in Germany. By the way I took a photo of the "precious resin" of the Wilde. It appears to be a thin acrylic or maybe celluloid acetate with a solid inner liner (What do you guys and gals think).

All the best!

Jose GarciaDSCF5790.JPG DSCF5794.JPG DSCF5796.JPG DSCF5797.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Dr. Eriko

Dr. Eriko

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2015 - 21:19

Hello. I am not expert, but it looks just like another "do it yourself" work.  The first pen , it does not look brooken to my unexpert eyes. It looks like you need to assembly the piston again. The second pen, just screw it in its place again. But you will need to use one special tool for the piston knob of the pens.

Please do not worry, you can find a few post in this forum about the special tool, and the guidance to repair your pens by yourself.

Regards.

Please excuse my poor english, but it is not my mothern language and maybe it is wrong my grammar. Any Suggestions are welcome.

#3 PFM 5

PFM 5

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 00:25

Hello Dr. Eriko, thank you for the feedback. I bought the Dostoevsky from a seller who said that it was "new/unused" so I rather get my money back and not have to fool with it. With regards to the Oscar Wilde, I rather send it to the factory since I have no experience servicing Montblanc pens. I have no problem changing an ink bladder or using a knock off block to take out a nib from a Sheaffer's Flattop but working on piston fillers is beyond my pay grade.

All the best!

Jose Garcia

#4 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:31

The binde is acrylic, not celluloid.

Fred

#5 PFM 5

PFM 5

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:33

The binde is acrylic, not celluloid.

Fred

I asked this question because the new Astoria Goliath is made from what appears to be the same material and is described as Celluloid Acetate.

Thanks!

Jose

#6 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• 4,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:02

I asked this question because the new Astoria Goliath is made from what appears to be the same material and is described as Celluloid Acetate.

Jose,

The former president of Montblanc told me that German law prohibits manufacturing with that material because of its volatility.  However, that doesn't prevent manufacture of Montblanc pens in other countries (e.g., Italy) where production of celluloid pens continues (e.g., Omas celluloid pens).  It would be interesting to follow this up.

Fred

#7 PFM 5

PFM 5

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:12

Jose,

The former president of Montblanc told me that German law prohibits manufacturing with that material because of its volatility.  However, that doesn't prevent manufacture of Montblanc pens in other countries (e.g., Italy) where production of celluloid pens continues (e.g., Omas celluloid pens).  It would be interesting to follow this up.

Fred

Hello Fred, here is the info and photos on the Astoria Goliath which is described as cellulose acetate http://www.fountainp...-pearl-edition/

This is acetate and not nitrate which really the volatile type of celluloid!

Jose

#8 PFM 5

PFM 5

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:18

Hello Fred, here is the info and photos on the Astoria Goliath which is described as cellulose acetate http://www.fountainp...-pearl-edition/

Jose

By the way Fred, the material (at least visually)looks exactly the same as the Oscar Wilde. The new Astoria is produced in Germany by a former MB employee.

#9 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• 4,426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:37

Ah!  I must learn more about celluloids.

Fred

#10 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 15:12

Nice pens; I hope you'll get your Wilde back soon.

@Fred: usually only plastic made from nitrocellulose and camphor is refered to as "celluloid". Cellulose acetate was and still is a safer and more easy to handle replacement plastic for celluloid which is still used today e.g by Pelikan for their colored and striped bindes.

Cheers

Michael

#11 PFM 5

PFM 5

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 16:02

Nice pens; I hope you'll get your Wilde back soon.

@Fred: usually only plastic made from nitrocellulose and camphor is refered to as "celluloid". Cellulose acetate was and still is a safer and more easy to handle replacement plastic for celluloid which is still used today e.g by Pelikan for their colored and striped bindes.

Cheers

Thank you Michael, by the way do you think that the binde on the Wilde is celluloid acetate?

Jose

#12 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 17:49

I don't know but absolutely trust Max from Astoria in what he is saying.

Cheers

Michael

#13 Dr. Eriko

Dr. Eriko

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2015 - 23:19

Hello Dr. Eriko, thank you for the feedback. I bought the Dostoevsky from a seller who said that it was "new/unused" so I rather get my money back and not have to fool with it. With regards to the Oscar Wilde, I rather send it to the factory since I have no experience servicing Montblanc pens. I have no problem changing an ink bladder or using a knock off block to take out a nib from a Sheaffer's Flattop but working on piston fillers is beyond my pay grade.

All the best!

Jose Garcia

Good Luck Jose García.

Please let me know when your pen is back from Germany.

Regards.

Please excuse my poor english, but it is not my mothern language and maybe it is wrong my grammar. Any Suggestions are welcome.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, dostoevsky, broken, service, piston, we, writers edition, le, wilde

Sponsored Content

|