Waterman's W2

mkeeley

The Waterman's W2 with W-2B nib I won on ebay arrived this morning. Sorry for the rubbish phone shots.

Quite tiny as can be seen next to the TWSBI 580, the body diameter is 10mm vs 13mm on the 580 and the thinnest part of the grip section is 8mm vs the 580's 10mm. The lengths's not a problem as it feels OK posted which I don't normally like to do.

Only done a page of scribbles but so far I prefer the nib to the one one the Omas Alma that arrived last week. Think it's a fine so a bit more scratchy but nothing too bad. But the main thing is that it has some flex which I had hoped the 14K Omas nib would have but hasn't.

The Omas was going to be my only present to myself, but you know what it's like and I ended up with 3 pens, the Omas, Waterman's and a limited edition Montegrappa and a Graf von faber mechanical pencil, all second hand though.

Anyway think I'm going to pick up another vintage flex that's a bit more chunky, was the whole range as tiny or would I be be better off with a Mabie Todd or Waterman 52? Ideally I'd like it to be roughly the size of my 580 which is roughly M800 size. Even bigger would be nice.

Also I need a new ink sack, does anyone know the size? Don't have callipers but guessing #16 although I see the W3 is a 17.

post-101615-0-81183400-1439634544_thumb.jpg

post-101615-0-85774100-1439634551_thumb.jpg

~ Marc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mkeeley

• missuslovett

• Cob

• birchtine

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The W5 is bigger all round than the W2, and in my limited experience seems to come in a range of nib attributes. You should be able to find one with some flex on the bay.

I am not sure about how many models there were, but W2, W3, & W5 (or similarly 512,513, and 515) certainly follow the pattern you suggest

Hi,

Many thanks for sharing!

Waterman pens from that era seem to be a not-too-expensive way to explore what I consider 'everyday flex' in pens that were likely daily writers. Several I have came with nibs of various designations, yet all are capable of some degree of flexi-ness - none are wet noodles.

As the smaller pens were likely used as daily writers, unless one has a keen eye and/or purchases from a reputable Vendor, the pens might have been be loved to death, so could be more of a collectors' item than a 21st Century daily writer.

The W5 is bigger all round than the W2, and in my limited experience seems to come in a range of nib attributes. You should be able to find one with some flex on the bay.

Yes, the W5 is a jump up in size, yet far from oversize.

My W5 is a joy to use - it earned my OoooLaLa rating. :)

Here it is posing with other pens used for my Aurora Blue Ink Review:

L - R: Parker 45, rotring 600, W5, Sheaffer 330, Esterbrook J, Non-Nudist Pink Safari.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Aurora%20Blue/0af68404.jpg

Note: This is a scan, not a photo, so there's no parallax.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks for the comparison shot, the W5 is pretty decent size then, I have a 600 too.

Seeing what pops up, wouldn't mind a bit more flex but don't think I want it noodle like, I want to be able to use it at normal writing speed. Really want it to make writing look more interesting than a standard nib and give it a different look than stubs provide. Think if I wanted to get back in to calligraphy I'd try dip pens.

I'm also trying to find a style of cursive I like, not done cursive since school and it shows, mine's normally semi/architect but fancy a change. Think it might end up being a mish-mash of things I like.

~ Marc

Thanks for the comparison shot, the W5 is pretty decent size then, I have a 600 too.

Seeing what pops up, wouldn't mind a bit more flex but don't think I want it noodle like, I want to be able to use it at normal writing speed. Really want it to make writing look more interesting than a standard nib and give it a different look than stubs provide. Think if I wanted to get back in to calligraphy I'd try dip pens.

I'm also trying to find a style of cursive I like, not done cursive since school and it shows, mine's normally semi/architect but fancy a change. Think it might end up being a mish-mash of things I like.

Hi,

You're most welcome!

I reckon your approach is quite sensible, especially as you include learning a cursive hand.

My voyage of discovery with flexi nibs has been limited by my brisk (very) light hand and how I form my characters, and perhaps that when on duty my writing includes many non-ASCII characters. No doubt conditioned by years of using firm nibs I am not accustomed to pressing down on a nib.

I need to spend more time in the calligraphy dojo to make the best of what flexi nibs have to offer.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I write almost exclusively with pens that are flex or semi-flex because I'm a slut. I've done a lot of round hand calligraphy in the past and it's leached into my handwriting, in spite of writing at speed. As others have said, Waterman's are great for everyday flex and my current to-hand stable includes two Mabie Todds, both SFs and a pretty Sheaffer Balance. I've found Swans are excellent pens for a bit of give but Cob is really the go-to guy for the dope on them.

The trouble is trying to find pens with the sort of flex you want, pretty much down to luck when buying online as the descriptions tend to be so vague. There is one ebay seller, myhs10cd, who does a good job of describing things but he's quite pricey to put it mildly.

This pen is so much fun to write with, been using it more than my new to me Omas and Montegrappa that are modern with nibs that are a bit boring in comparison, but they're far, far better made. So still looking for something similar but larger and posher, looking at Eversharps and American Watermans too.

~ Marc

How much flex do you want? The reality is that flex sells, even though i wonder how many people understand how much discipline is necessary. I like writing with flexible nibs - I have numerous Mabie Todds and a few Onotos &c. - but quite frankly, my writing is easier on the eye when I use a stub.

Fortunately MT made very nice stubs too!

I have a couple of flexible-nibbed Swans up for sale on ebay at the moment. I am rather short of "spare" flex pens at present.

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Hi, I think something like F to B, better yet BB, and something that only flexes when you give it a bit of pressure (bit not a lot), not sure I like the idea of noodles for day to day use although can imagine getting one to try out sometime.

Size wise I guess the bigger the better and, if being fussy, something not too plain, I have enough single colour pens so something a bit more exciting looking would be nice.

I've mainly used stubs and italics for ages and just wanted a change.

Edited by mkeeley

~ Marc

I have a couple of flexible-nibbed Swans up for sale on ebay at the moment. I am rather short of "spare" flex pens at present.

Cob

Haha! I have my eye on one of those. A real sweetie but funds may run out :(

No probs. Although my experience with them is limited, I've also found Eversharp produce robust flex nibs. Some very stylish pens too.

Funny that: the Skyline is so popular but I can't stand the look of them!

But the Doric? Now you're talking; always too expensive whenever I see them. And talking of multi-sided pens I would like one day to find one of those late-thirties American twelve-sided Swans.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg