Karas Kustoms Fountain K

Karas Kustoms

Karas Kustoms and Karas Pen Co are proud to introduce the Karas Kustoms Fountain K.

"The Fountain K is a compact, machined fountain pen that comes in aluminum, brass, and copper. The Fountain K uses German-made Schmidt nib assemblies known for their quality and long life. The thread-on cap uses triple-start threads to securely attach itself to the pen and to allow the removal of the cap with only 1.5 revolutions. The aluminum version of the Fountain K is machined from 6061 aluminum and will feature an anodized finish to help protect the aluminum body from damage. The brass (C360) Fountain K comes in a raw finish and will develop a beautiful aged finish with time and use. The copper version (tellurium) is also raw and can turn a warm, darker patina over time. You can maintain the polished finish on the brass and copper with a jewelers cloth if you like the bright, shiny finish. Each pen is a little over 5" long and 1/2" in diameter (minus the clip). The aluminum pen weighs 1.1 oz while the brass and copper versions weigh in at a hefty 3.3 oz. We are using the same bulletproof stainless steel clip and screws as we do on our other pens so you don't have to worry about breaking your clip like you do with most fountain pens. Designed and manufactured in the USA."

The Fountain K will be available here later this month, exact date TBD.

Official Press Release

post-121134-0-70133600-1439592664.jpg

post-121134-0-17844400-1439592665.jpg

post-121134-0-51053900-1439592665.jpg

post-121134-0-82915600-1439592666.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karas Kustoms

• mmg122

• Aramchek

• Jamerelbe

Very nice. I really like this design...more industrial looking than the Ink (a great pen). I think KK has hit another one out of the park. I'll be queuing up for the copper version. Love those copper pens.

I like!

I've a few questions though:

Are the Schmidt units based on Bock or Jowo nibs (I prefer the latter)? What widths will they be available in (I'm really hoping for EF)?

Are the threads sharp? I'm worried about them hurting my fingers due to how I grip pens.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Schmidt units are of their own design. They are the same units we use in the Karas Kustoms INK. Our final production Fountain K, released later this year, will use Bock units as we switch over. We looked into both Bock and Jowo, decided on Bock for quite a few reasons most of them have to do with their ability to provide us with longterm nib services that we are in the process of developing a need for. The Schmidt nibs are only available in F, M, B, when we switch to Bock we will add XF to that list. The threads are not sharp. I tend to grip my pens high on the section and I don't notice the threads being sharp at all. If you have any questions you can email us direct at info@karaskustoms.com

Schmidt units are of their own design. They are the same units we use in the Karas Kustoms INK. Our final production Fountain K, released later this year, will use Bock units as we switch over. We looked into both Bock and Jowo, decided on Bock for quite a few reasons most of them have to do with their ability to provide us with longterm nib services that we are in the process of developing a need for. The Schmidt nibs are only available in F, M, B, when we switch to Bock we will add XF to that list. The threads are not sharp. I tend to grip my pens high on the section and I don't notice the threads being sharp at all. If you have any questions you can email us direct at info@karaskustoms.com

Thanks for that info - is this going to be the 060 nib assembly from Bock, or a larger nib? (Also, will these new Bock nibs be going into future productions of the INK - and if so, will they be backward compatible with current INK pens?)

Edited by Jamerelbe

The initial run of Fountain Ks that will be released at the end of this month will be with Schmidt nibs. These are basically our first run pens that we made prior to investigating Bock as a source for nibs. The Production run pens will be with the Bock 060 nib units and have a redesigned section and inner cap to accommodate the Bock nib. We have not made a decision on the INK on whether to switch to a Bock nib for the next release or not. That decision will be made closer to September when we get closer to completion on the INKs.

Also if anyone cares, we are running a back to school coupon code, BACK2SCHOOL that can be used at checkout for 15% off your order.

I think the nibs on the Ink are excellent, smooth writers. I've not tried Bock as yet so will look forward to trying their nibs. Thanks for the coupon. Every little bit counts.

basterma, we have not run across this as of yet. Our pens have been out "in the wild" now since 2010 with no instances of this happening. Our pens have also been in use here in the shop for longer without any of this occurring. In a normal use environment, it would take an extremely long time for this to occur on our pens. Even when submerged in sea water, the bimetallic corrosion would take a very long time.

So in short, it is possible for that to occur. But likely none of us would be alive to see it happen. In the event that any strange issue like that does occur, contact us. Our Customer Service policy is that we fix it or replace it for free if it isn't user induced damage. And we usually can fix or replace user induced damage for a nominal fee.

• 1 month later...

You guys are doing great work, thank you. I have a full set in my first cube. I'll have to buy another cube to add more pens!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY