The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nib Sizing Issues With Vac 700's

vac 700 nib

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eloquentogre

eloquentogre

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Location:A cave in the hills and wilds of western Massachusetts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2015 - 20:14

I have two Vac 700's. The first I got in fine, assuming it would be like my Pilot Metropolitan fines. But it was thicker, more like a medium. So I ordered a new extra fine nib, and a second vac 700 in extra fine since overall I liked the first so much.

Now I have the new XF nib for my first vac 700 and the new pen with its own XF nib I have a slight issue. The two nibs vary tremendously in size. The new pen's nib is a perfect, true extra fine. But the new nib for the older Vac 700 is much fatter. Like at least two proper nib sizes fatter. See the included image.

Now I love how smooth the not so XF nib is, but I wanted an Extra Fine and I really haven't gotten one. I was thinking of getting a Twsbi Classic or two (because I like the more conservative look, and don't like the sharp edges on the pump knob of the Vac 700's) but if the nibs vary so much on average I can't afford to waste the money. Have any of you had similar issues?

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 eloquentogre

eloquentogre

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2015 - 20:23

Believe it or not, both paragraphs are written in Diamine Sargasso Sea - the second one is much darker because it's a finer line and very very wet (wonderfully so, I love an extra fine nib which pushes ink like it thinks it's a BBB)  The camera for some reason makes it look even darker, but it is still a much darker line than the fatter nib pretending to be XF

#3 pkoko

pkoko

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2015 - 03:26

Very nice picture... I would love to get a second analysis with another ink. How about a Blue-Black?

Also where exactly are TWSBI nibs made?

I think of my FPs as my children.

#4 eloquentogre

eloquentogre

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:40

TWSBI uses JoWo nibs now, but early on used Bock. Both are in Germany.  I don't have a blue black, but I've got a dark blue (Diamine Regency Blue) inbound within a few days, I'll try that.  Also, I am an idiot, the first sample was with Diamine Sargasso Sea, and the second with Diamine Majestic Blue, and I'm not sure about their relative wetness, so I do need to get the same ink in the two.  I'll do so when Regency arrives

#5 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2015 - 13:31

Unwanted nib units can easily be sold in the classifieds. :)

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#6 eloquentogre

eloquentogre

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2015 - 18:08

I loaded up my Vac 700's with Noodler's Midnight and wrote up a new comparison

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#7 eloquentogre

eloquentogre

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2015 - 19:06

And here is a link to imgur for the full sized image, since that one seems to be compressed down to a mess... http://imgur.com/gallery/AUGUue2

#8 Water Ouzel

Water Ouzel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:43

As mentioned above, Vac 700's may come with either a Jowo nib (current production) or a Bock (early production). I've heard that some of the very first ones had a Schmidt, but I've never seen one.

Being German nibs, they'll tend to be about a size bigger than Japanese pens, and even there they may be a bit variable.

I've got two 700's; one is fitted with an EF Bock, adjusted a bit for more flow, and it's the smoothest EF pen I've got. The other is currently fitted with an F Jowo, ground by Pendleton Brown as a cursive italic.

It's easy to adjust the nib for more or less flow, by the way. You're not stuck with whatever a nib writes like out of the box.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vac 700, nib

Sponsored Content

|