Journal Advice, Please.

melodiousb

I got back into journaling a couple of years ago, and I've been using a series of notebooks for it--a few different pocket notebooks, and then some Clairefontaine 1951 notebooks. I'm coming to my last one of those, and I feel like I've been writing consistently enough that it's worth getting a proper journal.

What I'm looking for:

• Medium size--A5 is ideal, but I could easily go a little bigger or smaller
  • Lots of pages
  • Lightweight paper that shows off fun inks--especially ones with sheen
  • Lines--although a grid would probably be fine

Tomoe River paper would probably be ideal, but it's hard to find it with lines, and I don't want to spend an enormous amount of money.

I also have a Levenger journal that my grandmother unearthed somewhere. The paper isn't great, but the cover is nice, and if I could get something else that fit into it, that would be cool. I'm guessing it's one of their Stanley journals.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• melodiousb

• luvpens

• GatzBcn

• FountainPenBibliophile

Well, it doesn't have super lightweight paper, but I've been pretty pleased the the 300 page journals from Miquelrius. The ones I have are lined, but Barnes and Noble used to carry ones with graph paper in a couple of colors for the covers. I had picked up a 200 page one, just to try it, when I was in the Boston area last winter, and then ended up buying *six* of the 300 page ones from the Miquelrius-USA website, just so I would have backups to last me for a couple of years ;). [usual disclaimer -- no connection except as a happy consumer].

The paper, while not of the Tomoe River level of awesomeness, is actually pretty decent and, IMO, very FP friendly. Really not had much in the way of showthrough or feathering issues, not matter what pen/ink combo I use. I think I have the ones that are listed as being the medium size "leather-look" journals (6" x 8-1/4"), and the paper is 70 gr/square meter; the smaller size ones are 4.1" x 6" ('m still not good on converting to European paper sizes so I listed what it says on their website).

Hope this helps.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My top pick would be Quo Vadis. Very fountain pen friendly. The only potential drawback is that the line spacing is 5mm. I use a narrow nib anyway and have adjusted my script, so now Quo Vadis is perfect.

I use A5 Leuchtturm for my daily ones. Plus other makes and sizes - smaller - for different purposes.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I just realized that you wanted lined or gridded...the ones below are blank...Sorry! Seven Seas Writer is the only lined Tomoe River Journal I know of.

I am not sure how much you are willing to spend but there is an FPN user (@GatzBcn) who makes beautiful journals in the A5 range with 400 sheets (800 pages). I believe she is away at a bookbinding seminar but I am sure she would pass along the details to you if you ask her. Her name is Anna. I believe I paid 65 USD for each of my books plus shipping. They are leather bound and gorgeous.

Also, Paper for Fountain Pens (www.paperforfountainpens.com) sells 320 page journals with Tomoe River paper that are cloth hardback books in the A5ish size.

No affiliation to either, just a satisfied customer.

HTH

FPB

Edited by FountainPenBibliophile

Midori MD might also interest you, I never tried Tomoe River but read that Midori MD paper is close. The paper is quite thin to me. Rhodia Webnotebook, Quo Vadis and Leuchtturm are also good. All are completely different with Rhodia and Quo Vadis being similar in paper feel (note that Quo Vadis is larger than A5). None of those come with more than "regular" amount of pages for a notebook.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. The Seven Seas Writer sounds pretty ideal, and I should certainly be able to wait a month. Hopefully they don't sell out too quickly.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

Strathmore 500 Writer's Journal...dot lined, textured, very nice stuff.Made in America.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I just realized that you wanted lined or gridded...the ones below are blank...Sorry! Seven Seas Writer is the only lined Tomoe River Journal I know of.

I am not sure how much you are willing to spend but there is an FPN user (@GatzBcn) who makes beautiful journals in the A5 range with 400 sheets (800 pages). I believe she is away at a bookbinding seminar but I am sure she would pass along the details to you if you ask her. Her name is Anna. I believe I paid 65 USD for each of my books plus shipping. They are leather bound and gorgeous.

Also, Paper for Fountain Pens (www.paperforfountainpens.com) sells 320 page journals with Tomoe River paper that are cloth hardback books in the A5ish size.

HTH

FPB

Thank you very much for the recommendation! I am glad you are enjoying your journals :D.

You are welcome to visit my blog: http://gatzbcn.blogspot.com/ and that is my shop: https://www.gatzbcn.com/shop

The Seven Seas Writer is back in stock, and I've just ordered one.

For lined journals my go to is Paperblanks (wonderful covers, very sturdy and the paper is great), the only potential issue is that the paper isn't exactly lightweight, it's not heavy like the 32 lb printer paper but it's definitely not Tomoe River light. Great journals and planners, though.

For lined journals my go to is Paperblanks (wonderful covers, very sturdy and the paper is great), the only potential issue is that the paper isn't exactly lightweight, it's not heavy like the 32 lb printer paper but it's definitely not Tomoe River light. Great journals and planners, though.

This...

And the Ciak's are very good as well.

This...

And the Ciak's are very good as well.

Ciak? I think i have seen them advertised at the journal shop. They are FP friendly?

• 4 weeks later...

HTH

FPB

I have also bought two Tomoe River Paper, Handmade Leather Journals, from Anna. she does an excellent job, she worked with me to help customize my two journals. At the time she had only 200 sheets each of white and 200 sheets of ivory Tomoe River paper, so I decided to have her make 2 journals instead of one. They are both beautiful and well worth the price. She also made custom boxes for each.

I have also bought two Tomoe River Paper, Handmade Leather Journals, from Anna. she does an excellent job, she worked with me to help customize my two journals. At the time she had only 200 sheets each of white and 200 sheets of ivory Tomoe River paper, so I decided to have her make 2 journals instead of one. They are both beautiful and well worth the price. She also made custom boxes for each.

Thank you very much for your comments and for recommending. I am really glad you are happy with the books!! I hope you are having fun with them :).

You are welcome to visit my blog: http://gatzbcn.blogspot.com/ and that is my shop: https://www.gatzbcn.com/shop