How Do You Dispose Of Bottles Of Ink?

Hank138

Hello. I am very new to the FPN so forgive me if this is not the right place to raise my question. If the question is already answered elsewhere, please direct me to that place. Thank you.

My question: how do you dispose of bottles of ink?

I have one nearly full bottle I bought some years ago. I didn't like the color at the first and it has been cluttering my ink drawer for a long time. I also have two bottles of ink that seem to have lost the ability to dry. I can write a whole page and the top of the page will still be wet and will smear if touched. These inks used to dry normally (I think) but at this point they are unusable, (I haven't been able to locate any store that still sells blotting paper.) So, I have two bottles of ink about 1/3 full that I would like to get rid of. Also a friend who gave me a nice old fountain pen also gave me two bottles of ink that are at least 20 years old. I certainly don't want to try to use ink that is so old. So that makes five bottle of ink to dispose of, and several more to come as well as I am close to using up a couple of other bottles.

I know that I can just throw the bottles in the trash, but that doesn't seem very ecological. I would recycle the glass, but I doubt that it's a good idea to pour ink down the drain. Or is it? Are inks toxic liquids?

Now that I think of it, I suppose I really have two questions: What is the proper way to dispose of bottles of ink? and How do you actually dispose of bottles of ink?

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• amberleadavis

• WaskiSquirrel

• Brianm_14

Generally, fountain pen inks are not toxic. I would pour the ink down the drain, or onto the ground, over an ant hill (give the little guys some color in their lives). Save the bottles for future ink use.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The 20 year old bottles of ink are not necessarily unusable.Try them before getting rid of them.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Hello. I am very new to the FPN so forgive me if this is not the right place to raise my question. If the question is already answered elsewhere, please direct me to that place. Thank you.

I have one nearly full bottle I bought some years ago. I didn't like the color at the first and it has been cluttering my ink drawer for a long time. I also have two bottles of ink that seem to have lost the ability to dry. I can write a whole page and the top of the page will still be wet and will smear if touched. These inks used to dry normally (I think) but at this point they are unusable, (I haven't been able to locate any store that still sells blotting paper.) So, I have two bottles of ink about 1/3 full that I would like to get rid of. Also a friend who gave me a nice old fountain pen also gave me two bottles of ink that are at least 20 years old. I certainly don't want to try to use ink that is so old. So that makes five bottle of ink to dispose of, and several more to come as well as I am close to using up a couple of other bottles.

I know that I can just throw the bottles in the trash, but that doesn't seem very ecological. I would recycle the glass, but I doubt that it's a good idea to pour ink down the drain. Or is it? Are inks toxic liquids?

Now that I think of it, I suppose I really have two questions: What is the proper way to dispose of bottles of ink? and How do you actually dispose of bottles of ink?

I definately will try those inks, why waste a chance to try a fortune like that?

fpn_1439343878__2015-08-11-18-44-20.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

fpn_1439343936__2015-08-11-18-44-21.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Agree with Amber. Sell them or give them to someone who could use them. A vintage ink powder (who knows how old it is) is my favorite ink.

I have a bottle of Skrip B/Bl that was "lost" for at least 30 years. Found It again last month. Great stuff.

The best way to dispose of ink is by giving it to someone who will use it for writing. The PIF idea(ask for postage money) is a great one!

Brian

PIF is a good idea, or if you belong to a pen group maybe they have an ink/sample sharing programme. At times I just give away my unwanted bottles of current ink. On occasion I have been known to dump it on the ground (I own a large sandy lot) if I want to reuse the bottle for another ink.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

If you liked the inks before I'd try Amber's advice to add water to it. You may not remember what the volume was before you stopped using them, but if they have become so concentrated that they don't dry anymore, my guess would be you could at least double the ink volume by adding just water (clean or distilled would be best). Let stand for a time, shake well after adding water, and use!

And, BTW, :W2FPN: Let us know what you do...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Adding a little water may restore an ink. You may find someone who is interested in them also.

When I do choose to dump out an ink, I do so down the sink while washing dishes. It's only ever a bottle at a time, and very rarely done.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Adding a little water may restore an ink. You may find someone who is interested in them also.

When I do choose to dump out an ink, I do so down the sink while washing dishes. It's only ever a bottle at a time, and very rarely done.

Oh, Waski, you are falling into evil ways! PIF it.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Give them to someone here who will appreciate them. The non-dryer probably just needs some added water.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

For me, whenever I want to get rid of some ink I don't like anymore, I just offer up samples of the ink to others! Fountain pen ink should be non-toxic and fine to dump down most drains.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

Others have made good suggestions about PIFs, etc.- I'd just add that if you can't find someone in the FP community who would want to try and restore/ use them for writing, perhaps you could find a local artist/ art teacher who could make use of them. I got rid of a few inks that weren't perfect/ I didn't like that way. She even gave me the bottles back!

I would also say PiF in some method. Because what you find horrible might be someone else's favorite color.

I gave away an almost full bottle of Platinum Mix-Free Flame Red awhile back. I thought the color was hideous (think Mercurochrome straight out of the bottle), for those old enough to remember it. I gave it to someone who is a college professor and he was going to use it for grading.

I fear that his students will hate him....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oh, Waski, you are falling into evil ways! PIF it.

There are one or two inks which I would never inflict on someone else.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

For (slight) amusement, I'll quote the MSDS on a parcel which I received from The Writing Desk containing some ink:

12 Ecological information

Do not dispose of in water ways, wells and sewers.

13 Disposal considerations

Dispose in accordance with Federal State, and Local Regulations.

Good that I didn't dump a bottle of red ink with SitB down the drain some months ago. /sarcasm

Guess I would soak it up in a roll of toilet paper and then get rid of that.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)