The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Snorkel Barrel Crack

sheaffer snorkel imperial crack solvent triumph touchdown barrel fix uk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Smothier

Smothier

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:39

Hi Everyone,

I've recently got a hold of a Sheaffer Snorkel from the bay. Upon receiving it, I noticed a crack at the plunger end, usually a far too common and unfortunately fatal issue in snorkels. As it's in the UK, parts are notoriously difficult to find, let alone for a justifiable price. I actually noticed the issue after winning, but having already paid, the seller just played dumb and completely denied it, even though it was blatantly obvious. Since I got it for a good price, however, it isn't worth much in returning.

The crack itself is perhaps about 3/8 of an inch, roughly the same distance away from the breather hole. Internally - the pen is sound and fixable, just that little crack can cause issues. I've looked around and and I've seen Tenax 7R advertised wholeheartedly by Ron Z, however it's nearly impossible to find in the UK. (and for a good price)

My question is if there's any alternatives I can find cheaply in the UK, something trustworthy as I have little option for failure. I'm confident in my ability to fix pens and have a steady hand (should have been a surgeon but chemistry wasn't my strong point hehe).

Also, provided a picture of the crack. Excuse the horrible quality, I needed to MSPaint some things of help.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

• VIEW WITH CAUTION, WILL CAUSE NAUSEA.JPG

Edited by Smothier, 11 August 2015 - 10:10.

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,990 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:02

Use something with methylenechloride in it to solvent weld the crack.

For a black pen I would just replace the barrel and not expend the effort to weld it.  Postage to your side of the pond is likley as much as a new barrel so I see your point on trying to save it.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 Smothier

Smothier

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:34

I think Methylene Chloride would be somewhat difficult to obtain here. I faintly remember hearing it was banned in the EU due to being a toxic cancerogen.

Edit:

I've found several online that I hope one of you would be able to vouch/confirm?

1: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d302b1d16 - appears to be pure methylene chloride, would it work?

2: http://www.amazon.co...hylene chloride

In either case, how would one go about fixing/applying it to the crack - in what quantities and by what means? I'd imagine via syringe, small blob then spread over the damage area with a brush or a toothpick.

Anybody with some experience, feel free to chip in.

Thanks

Edited by Smothier, 12 August 2015 - 07:35.

#4 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2015 - 12:28

Yes, I find barrel cracks are a fairly common problem with Snorkels. I'd love to hear from a pro on the subject.

#5 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:28

I don't have experience with this particular repair, but in lieu of the expert advice that will hopefully follow along, I'll offer these notions based on my use of methylene chloride:

It's too thin-bodied to apply in "blobs" -- it seems even less viscous than water.  It's also extremely volatile, so you'll have to work quickly and surely, or it evaporate off of your work before you're ready.  And make sure you're breathing fresh air, not fumes.

Don't spread it around the area of the crack.  Use something like a pointed #0 sable watercolor brush to wick a modest amount into the crack itself, then use something around the barrel to clamp the crack shut immediately.  Leave it like that for a few days at least to cure and stabilize before doing any cosmetic sanding and polishing to the seam.

And I'd remove the touchdown tube and O-ring before beginning work.

Edited by Tweel, 16 August 2015 - 04:29.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#6 redbike

redbike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2015 - 13:28

then use something around the barrel to clamp the crack shut immediately.  Leave it like that for a few days at least to cure and stabilize before doing any cosmetic sanding and polishing to the seam.

I've had success in using a clothes pin with a rubber band wrapped around the grasping end to clamp solvent welded cracks in Sheaffer TD and Snorkel pens. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, snorkel, imperial, crack, solvent, triumph, touchdown, barrel, fix, uk

Sponsored Content

|