Smothier

Hi Everyone,

I've recently got a hold of a Sheaffer Snorkel from the bay. Upon receiving it, I noticed a crack at the plunger end, usually a far too common and unfortunately fatal issue in snorkels. As it's in the UK, parts are notoriously difficult to find, let alone for a justifiable price. I actually noticed the issue after winning, but having already paid, the seller just played dumb and completely denied it, even though it was blatantly obvious. Since I got it for a good price, however, it isn't worth much in returning.

The crack itself is perhaps about 3/8 of an inch, roughly the same distance away from the breather hole. Internally - the pen is sound and fixable, just that little crack can cause issues. I've looked around and and I've seen Tenax 7R advertised wholeheartedly by Ron Z, however it's nearly impossible to find in the UK. (and for a good price)

My question is if there's any alternatives I can find cheaply in the UK, something trustworthy as I have little option for failure. I'm confident in my ability to fix pens and have a steady hand (should have been a surgeon but chemistry wasn't my strong point hehe).

Also, provided a picture of the crack. Excuse the horrible quality, I needed to MSPaint some things of help.

Thanks in advance.

post-120549-0-66073100-1439282275.jpg

Edited by Smothier

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smothier

• Tweel

• FarmBoy

• 3rdlakerobert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Use something with methylenechloride in it to solvent weld the crack.

For a black pen I would just replace the barrel and not expend the effort to weld it. Postage to your side of the pond is likley as much as a new barrel so I see your point on trying to save it.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I think Methylene Chloride would be somewhat difficult to obtain here. I faintly remember hearing it was banned in the EU due to being a toxic cancerogen.

Edit:

I've found several online that I hope one of you would be able to vouch/confirm?

1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dichloromethane-100-ml-Methylene-Chloride-DCM-99-9-Pure-ACS-Lab-grade-100ml-/331520613654?hash=item4d302b1d16 - appears to be pure methylene chloride, would it work?

2: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tasma-Products-Ltd-Plastic-Cement/dp/B0053WXLVU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439364772&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=methylene+chloride

In either case, how would one go about fixing/applying it to the crack - in what quantities and by what means? I'd imagine via syringe, small blob then spread over the damage area with a brush or a toothpick.

Anybody with some experience, feel free to chip in.

Thanks

Edited by Smothier

Yes, I find barrel cracks are a fairly common problem with Snorkels. I'd love to hear from a pro on the subject.

I don't have experience with this particular repair, but in lieu of the expert advice that will hopefully follow along, I'll offer these notions based on my use of methylene chloride:

It's too thin-bodied to apply in "blobs" -- it seems even less viscous than water. It's also extremely volatile, so you'll have to work quickly and surely, or it evaporate off of your work before you're ready. And make sure you're breathing fresh air, not fumes.

Don't spread it around the area of the crack. Use something like a pointed #0 sable watercolor brush to wick a modest amount into the crack itself, then use something around the barrel to clamp the crack shut immediately. Leave it like that for a few days at least to cure and stabilize before doing any cosmetic sanding and polishing to the seam.

And I'd remove the touchdown tube and O-ring before beginning work.

Edited by Tweel

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

then use something around the barrel to clamp the crack shut immediately. Leave it like that for a few days at least to cure and stabilize before doing any cosmetic sanding and polishing to the seam.

I've had success in using a clothes pin with a rubber band wrapped around the grasping end to clamp solvent welded cracks in Sheaffer TD and Snorkel pens.