Bringing Bottled Inks On Flight

RitchieMac

Are those the sort of cases that are used by hikers and kayakers and such for phones and keys? I've seen those in sporting goods stores like REI and have wondered how well they work (and even tried bringing empty sample vials with me to the store to see how many would fit in the various size containers, but I think I've lost the notes I've made).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

That's the sort. My Peli 1050 Micro case has now become the home for assorted ink cartridges.

Happy to empty it out and try various combinations of bottles if anyone is thinking of getting one. I think the 1050 is (was) pretty much the largest size - I've got a smaller one somewhere but I think you'd struggle to get any standard size bottles in it (Diamine 30ml bottles maybe).

Chris

post-96540-0-58751100-1445851029_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wowbanger2000

• RitchieMac

• 2n7000

• httpmom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

During my last vacation I carried all sorts of ink bottles vintage and new and had not a single drop of leakage.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Nalgene bottle from the Container Store in a zip lock bag tossed in my check-in luggage. Never had a problem with this while traveling for business both state side and abroad.

This also works well for me...

The amount of ink that escapes the bottle is relatively small. Still, it doesn't require much to make a mess. Include a "pad" of folded paper towel in the inner bag, to absorb leaks.

Where are you traveling, that there is not fountain pen ink ? Why not go ink shopping upon arrival ?

It would be part of the travel experience. Compared to an airline ticket, how much could a bottle of local in cost ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I used to use a Peli micro case when I was flying internationally regularly for work. They're so well sealed they have a valve to let equalise pressure once you've flown and landed. Plus 100% waterproof so if a bottle does break it shouldn't leak out into your main bag.

Do the Micro cases have the valve too or just the regular size cases?

Just wondering...

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Do the Micro cases have the valve too or just the regular size cases?

Just wondering...

Answered my own question. Yes it does.

Edited by httpmom

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

I feel the need to share this picture again.

A couple of years ago, Frank C and I ordered in Akkerman ink and some of it was distributed at the LA Pen show. When Plistumi went to get on the airplane to go home, the TSA screener wouldn't let her take it on the plane because of the volume.

Plistumi drank the ink.

fpn_1361419557__tsa.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I feel the need to share this picture again.

A couple of years ago, Frank C and I ordered in Akkerman ink and some of it was distributed at the LA Pen show. When Plistumi went to get on the airplane to go home, the TSA screener wouldn't let her take it on the plane because of the volume.

Plistumi drank the ink.

fpn_1361419557__tsa.jpg

Lord in Heaven...

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

• 4 weeks later...

Even if one employed all of the packing techniques here to prevent from spillages, I still would never put ink in my checked baggage.

..I see what happens to your bag after it goes down the conveyor belt and awaits it's loading into the cargo pit of a jet. Let's just say that there's room for damage and breakage of your bottles be it glass or plastic. (Rough handling, falling onto the ground, falling off the luggage cart enroute to the aircraft...etc.)

Secondly, you have to keep in mind the Lapse Rate if you have ink bottles in your bags.

What is this?

The Lapse Rate is the difference in temperature change that comes with elevation.

For every 1000ft you rise, there is a -3.3F / -1.95C degree change in temperature from what it is currently on the ground.

So, for example.. if you're flying out and the temperature at the airport is 10C... the plane takes off and you get to 40,000ft... the outside temperature in the air (outside of the plane) would be -68C. ...being a Canadian - I'm sure I'd be able to survive that for a short period of time - but I don't think your ink could.

In Canada, sometimes we see temperatures as low as -35C or -40C in the winter... which makes that air temperature at 40,000ft a chilly -118C. (Don't worry, those jet engines can handle it.)

I wouldn't want to take the risk in the ink freezing, or at least getting to a very low temperature sitting in the cargo hold.

One more reason to purchase small plastic vials, or, as suggested, the Nalgene bottles and carry them on while adhering to liquid volume restrictions placed on by your local security screeners.

Just a thought from someone in the industry.

//ff.

Well, that's good to know.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

..and just in case you're thinking "oh my god, they're loading someone's dog or cat in there".... don't worry. There are sections set aside that are heated just for that purpose :)

I don't think it's possible to request your bag be put in that section to keep your ink warm though -- haha :)

//ff.

Edited by fountainflyer

When i flew to Norway, i didn't have any problems with the ink(bottle of Parker black Quink) itself. No leaking whatsoever.

The only problem i had was the following: The security guard over at the airport in Oslo had never seen such a bottle before and wanted to open it. He asked me kindly what the bottle was and if he could open it. I explained and showed him my diplomat + converter and advised him to be very careful when opening the bottle, "spill it and everything will be stained black." But the guard had seen enough and allowed me through. :lol:

Had no problems on the way back either, the only leaking was in the cap of my FP because i forgot to empty it :mellow: