The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Stipula Passaporto From Massdrop August, 2015

stipula passaporto massdrop passaporto italic nib

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:48

Stipula Passaporto - The 2015 special edition for Massdrop

Massdrop recently closed a drop for a custom-manufactured Stipula Passaporto. I have one of the FPN LE Passaporto's from a couple years ago, and I have been thinking that a Passaporto would make a nice gift for a couple of my FP-using relatives. I had some concerns about changes in the pen design since the FPN LE's, especially the elimination of threading on the end of the barrel, making posting difficult. Massdrop's agreement with Stipula included specifications for threading and for metal connections between the section and barrel. This was encouraging. I ordered one, then ordered two more when the price became even more attractive. I received my first order a couple days ago. Here is a first look:

[attachment=325482:1-Passaportos 8-8-15 - 2.jpg]

There has been some concern regarding QA since before the recent Stipula reorganization, and some apparent problems with some of the Massdrop Passaportos reported on FPN. Mine showed no defects on visual inspection. I flushed the nib/feed well with a bulb syringe and installed a small standard cartridge of J. Herbin Perle Noire. Getting ink flow initially was a bit difficult, but with persistent cartridge squeezing, pen shaking, nib blotting, etc. flow commenced. Once started, flow was quite dry but consistent and satisfactory. With the J. Herbin ink and either Tomoe River or Rhodia paper, the pen writes quite smoothly. It is smooth enough to use for American cursive, but the ink flow is too restricted for rapid writing. For italic script, flow is adequate, and there is quite respectable thick/thin line differentiation, especially for such a narrow nib. (The photograph, as displayed on a computer screen, shows the difference as less than it is in reality.)

[attachment=325483:1-Passaportos 8-8-15 - Nib.jpg]

For those unfamiliar with the Passaporto, it is very compact "pocket pen." It must be used posted to have sufficient length, I think, even for the smallest adult hands. Here, for comparison is the new Passaporto and the FPN LE Passaporto next to a more familiar Kaweco Al Sport:

[attachment=325484:1-Passaportos 8-8-15 - SizeComp.jpg]

I ordered the Massdrop Passaporto with a 0.9 mm italic nib. My FPN LE Passaporto has a 1.1 mm italic nib. This may seem like a small difference, but the difference in height of minuscule letters would be 4.5 mm versus 5.5 mm, which is significant. The narrower nib will be better suited for the uses to which I intend to put this Passoporto, for example quick note taking, "to do list" editing, and the like.

[attachment=325485:1-Passaportos 8-8-15 -NibComp.jpg]

I plan to use this pen as an eye dropper filler. I do have some concern about corrosion of the metal connection between barrel and section. Advice about that would be appreciated.

Happy writing!

David

Sponsored Content

#2 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:33

I am pleased your Passaporto arrived & is proving enjoyable.  Mine is one of the earlier models (with only an "indented" section @ the body's tip, it doesn't have threads to facilitate a secure "hold") & surely can "slip apart" after posting during use.  I only use it for "quick" writing so most of the time it is not a problem.  If I wanted to write longer I am sure it would be annoying.  I purchased it used with an italic nib (probably 1.1) so for a $30.00 clear demonstrator I am not bothered by the posting issue.  (I carry Kaweco Sports as "pocket pens" & find they are better suited for this use.)

I just checked mine to see if there was any evidence of corrosion since I filled it February 12 when I received Monblanc "Pink" purchased for filling this pen as an eyedropper.  I have no idea how long it would take but I see NO evidence of anything unusual about the metal threads.  If I filled the pen then it obviously hasn't been used much as it remains "half" filled! Since this is the only pen I have attempted to use as an eyedropper I seem to remember I used silicone grease before filling but only the existing "o" ring & nothing more.  I say "fill 'er up" & enjoy! 

#3 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:42

Excellent first impressions report on the MD Passaporto. I also have an FPN LE from 2011 (I think) and love the pen. It's a wonderful writer. I haven't received mine from the recent MassDrop but look forward to receiving them (I actually ordered all three colors). I was happy that the MD order emulated the original model with barrel threads for posting. I have one of the second generation without barrel threads and it is unusable...and I have quite small hands. My FPN LE has been an EDC since I received it. Lovely pen.

Why three colors you might ask? I bought them for my two grandkids who live with me...the three of us are learning calligraphy as a summer vacation activity. They love fountain pens and writing in cursive, especially with italic nibs.

#4 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:14

Excellent first impressions report on the MD Passaporto. I also have an FPN LE from 2011 (I think) and love the pen. It's a wonderful writer. I haven't received mine from the recent MassDrop but look forward to receiving them (I actually ordered all three colors). I was happy that the MD order emulated the original model with barrel threads for posting. I have one of the second generation without barrel threads and it is unusable...and I have quite small hands. My FPN LE has been an EDC since I received it. Lovely pen.

Why three colors you might ask? I bought them for my two grandkids who live with me...the three of us are learning calligraphy as a summer vacation activity. They love fountain pens and writing in cursive, especially with italic nibs.

That's great! I'm interested in you and your grandkids working on calligraphy - italic? - together. One of the three Passaportos I have ordered is for a grandson. Another is for his mother, my dil. Both of them are working with the italic hand using materials from Lloyd Reynolds and Jaki Svaren.

David

#5 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,807 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:37

I expect my MD to arrive Monday. My old one, a few years before the FPN ones did have barrel threading.
--
Glenn (love those pen posses)

#6 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:31

Thanks for the review - I'm still waiting to see my two Passaportos (on FPN, one italic) arrive in Australia. This makes the wait a little harder... but glad to know it's something to look forward to!

#7 WDP4BAAZ

WDP4BAAZ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:22

Nice review . Does it burp by using in eyedropper mode ?

#8 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 18:24

Nice review . Does it burp by using in eyedropper mode ?

I have not yet filled it except with a mini-cartridge. 

Thanks for the compliment!

David

#9 Bill P

Bill P

FOUNTAIN PEN ENTHUSIAST

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2015 - 22:08

I just received my 2 Passoporto's from Mass Drop today...

I could not find any clue as to where the nib size is identified on the nib.

Does anyone have the nib size on their Passoporto nib, or know of anyway to determine what nib is on the pen other than to make a guess?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

#10 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2015 - 23:23

There is no nib size indication on the nib itself. There is a sticker on the outer Stipula box that describes the product. The bottom line of text is "F    M    Z" The Z is crossed out. Under it is handwritten "0.9." I assume this is indicative of the 0.9 mm italic nib on my Passaporto.

David

#11 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2015 - 21:46

Received my three Stipula Passaportos at the end of the week. As indicated in the MD info, this model design is based on the original and has threads at the end of the barrel to screw the cap on for posting...which is a good thing. All three pens utilizing the ink cartridges provided are pretty dry writers...no skipping or hard starts, just dry. Could be the ink (I'm not familiar with Stipula inks) but I'll definitely be adjusting them to write wetter, which is my preference. My only criticism of the pens is that the threading seems a little shoddy. All three squeak like crazy when I thread the section into the barrel or the cap onto the barrel (either end). On the red pen, the threads which enable the cap to close the pen seems to be cross threaded ie if I take it slow and deliberate, it seems to close alright but if I try threading the cap on as I normally would, it turns and turns but never tightens...on the other two pens, it takes a slow, deliberate placement to prevent the cap from going on crooked and causing cross threading. I'll see if perhaps a light application of silicone grease may improve the situation. Final conclusion, the quality of these pens is definitely not as good as the FPN LE of 2011...Stipula still has a quality control problem. I hope they're able to turn it around because I really like many of their pen models.

#12 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2015 - 22:55

Thanks mmg122 - a bunch of us received emails from Massdrop indicating that our pens had arrived in "less than stellar condition" and couldn't be shipped out. No idea how many, no indication of what the problem was, and no reply (yet) to my queries re which of the two pens I ordered had a problem.

If I were you, I'd be contacting Massdrop with a complaint, and asking them to make it right.

#13 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2015 - 15:25

Thank you for this thread. The drop is running again and I was tempted, but find dry pens such a pain that I am cured of my desire.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stipula, passaporto, massdrop, passaporto italic nib

Sponsored Content

|