Do You Guys Like Exotic Materials? I'm Making Some Neat Stuff ... But There Is Still A Lot To Be Done. Check Out My Progress So Far.

TactileTurn

Here is a gallery of the grips I currently have made:

http://imgur.com/a/ceCO6

I should probably go introduce myself in the introductions area, but I am Will Hodges. I'm the designer and machinist at Tactile Turn. Some of you probably know my click pens. I've been working on and off on a fountain pen for almost two years. The last few months I've been keeping my business going while doing a ton of research on materials and processes to make everything I do the best way possible. It's taken me so long (and plenty of bugging Ed Jelley) because I know fountain pen users won't like just anything. I've looked at every possible way to do these and how other people make theirs. By the time these are done I think most of you will like something I am making.

I absolutely love the designer Deiter Rams. His ethos "less, but better" is paramount in my designs. If it doesn't add functionality it isn't necessary. I don't add things to design because I can, but because they will aid in functionality. That said, I don't have any design degrees or engineering letters after my name - I just study what works and try to improve where I can. Amazing materials and simple design made to absolute precision speak the volumes I hope you ladies and gentlemen appreciate.

I'm still working on bodies today and I hope to have caps sorted out next week. These parts are all CNC machined to absolute perfection and precision. They will use Bock #6 nibs and come with international converters. There are a few details I can't quite reveal yet, including price as I haven't quite worked those out yet. These will be on Kickstarter when I am done, but I hope you guys are patient as I am taking my time on these. This is not a sales post, but I hope to get some of you interested in what I am making.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TactileTurn

• J85909266

• sirgilbert357

• FinalEleven

That's some excellent work! I really like the Damascus Steel - haven't seen anything quite like it and your choice of a matte grey nib is nice touch. All the very best on Kickstarter!

One of my favourite and most comfortable grip section shapes. I like the polycarbonate and damascus steel a lot. Are those titanium Bock nibs?

One of my favourite and most comfortable grip section shapes. I like the polycarbonate and damascus steel a lot. Are those titanium Bock nibs?

They are, though I also plan on offering steel and gold in EF, F, M, and B.

I like the look of many of your sections, but I'm one of those who can't abide a metal section. Just a thing. I'm not alone either. So, keep that in mind and maybe find some other interesting materials like the polycarbonate. Some of the cork composites out there might be interesting, especially if it could be fitted with a plastic liner to give it strength.

Good luck!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Best of luck to you with your Kickstarter project, Will. Hope you'll let us know when you put it up. Most of us are always willing to support a good pen project...and do take AAAndrew's advice. Metal sections aren't too popular with most pen people from what I've read on the forums.

Best of luck to you with your Kickstarter project, Will. Hope you'll let us know when you put it up. Most of us are always willing to support a good pen project...and do take AAAndrew's advice. Metal sections aren't too popular with most pen people from what I've read on the forums.

That is mostly due to corrosion problems and metals being slippery, correct? Most of the metals above are either easily polished (copper and brass and aluminum) or so corrosion resistant that after months of having Baystate Blue on them the ink wiped right off. As far as being slippery, I'll have plenty of reviewers weigh in on the texture on the grip that provides just the right feedback while also looking excellent.

Truly a fine execution there! Truly commendable.

My own personal gut reaction is my unease with the material(s). It's the metal* ... The pens in my stable with metal sections don't get used. Therefore now I don't buy pens with metal sections.

* The feel of Makrolon gives me the creeps, therefore no Lamy 2k.

Please keep us posted on the Kickstarter -- I definitely like the look of several of those, particularly Copper and Damascus Steel. :)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

I'll absolutely keep people her updated. The grips are kind of boring. The rest of the pens are really where these will be special. I'll post more as I make progress. So far I'm really excited as a few of these materials are REALLY hard to work with but I was able to get some great looking parts so hopefully the rest of the machining goes as well.

I'm a big fan of your work with ball pens. I don't use ball pens anymore, or I would have already purchased one of your Movers.

The fact that you seem to be fully invested in releasing a fountain pen is very exciting, to me. I'm so glad you are going to offer Ti Bock nibs. I'm oh so tired of Jowo nibs.

I will be watching this thread with vested interest. Will there be a Kickstarter campaign?

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I'm a big fan of your work with ball pens. I don't use ball pens anymore, or I would have already purchased one of your Movers.

The fact that you seem to be fully invested in releasing a fountain pen is very exciting, to me. I'm so glad you are going to offer Ti Bock nibs. I'm oh so tired of Jowo nibs.

I will be watching this thread with vested interest. Will there be a Kickstarter campaign?

There will definitely be a Kickstarter. It helps me to offer lower prices. People that are willing to essentially pre-buy a pen or two grouping together to help me buy materials and tooling in larger quantities to get discounts deserve a discounted price! It also helps gauge interest so I can plan accordingly how many I should make to meet demand. These will be reviewed by a few trusted reviewers so people can buy in confidence. I really like being completely transparent about what I make and the ups and downs of any production and Kickstarter makes a great platform to share those setbacks and successes.

The sad part is that there have been plenty of overfunded yet underperforming Kickstarter projects where the project creator has someone else make their product and the community of supporters doesn't get to see progress, or projects are seriously delayed and the creator doesn't share what is going on.

I got some more progress done Friday and I hope to show you guys something resembling a pen here real soon!

Made some progress getting a few bodies made. Just aluminum and titanium for now:

http://i.imgur.com/MCBeL2H.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kVRvmGp.jpg

Very pretty body. The nib size is a bit out of proportion with the body imo. Looks a bit too big and kind of ruins the lines of the pen for me. I reckon a no.5 nib would be a lot better in terms of size - just my feelings on the matter, I'm by no means any kind of expert or authority in these things

Very pretty body. The nib size is a bit out of proportion with the body imo. Looks a bit too big and kind of ruins the lines of the pen for me. I reckon a no.5 nib would be a lot better in terms of size - just my feelings on the matter, I'm by no means any kind of expert or authority in these things

I think it will make a bit more sense with the cap when they are finished.

NO! I could not disagree more!

The flow of the lines into the big, number 6 nib is perfect! I love it!

I am very into this design, so far. Link to the Kickstarter page?

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

NO! I could not disagree more!

The flow of the lines into the big, number 6 nib is perfect! I love it!

I am very into this design, so far. Link to the Kickstarter page?

I am probably about a month away from having all versions of these pens finished, but I'll definitely post a link when the Kickstarter is up.