Townsend Collection Display

MrThoth

So there is really just one "sterling" townsend with 18k nib model? Does anyone know the years this sterling townsend was made?

The Townsend Sterling Silver (SKU 656) is the only Townsend made using sterling silver AFAIK, though the Tuxedo (SKU 556) has a sterling silver cap to go with its black body. The SS was first manufactured in 1996, but I don't have any data on the last year of production.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrThoth

• mmg122

• Earthling_007

• jslallar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Townsends? I love them!

But I would love to hear all about your display case.

Please?

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Townsends? I love them!

But I would love to hear all about your display case.

Please?

Sure, though I don't know if there's much I can tell you. It's a curved front glass display, typical of the type you used to see in old general stores and the like. It's approximately 30" (76 cm) long, 20" (51 cm) deep, and 10" (25 cm) tall at its highest point. I bought it years ago from someone on eBay, IIRC.

The pen stands and green felt liner inside the case were made by a skilled craftsman who sells things like that on eBay under the name mikescase. Mike was great to work with as well as being extremely talented.

Hope that helps!

MrThoth

I think you put the old and new together for an awesome result.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

• 3 months later...

My only Townsend is a Siena Brown with matching ballpoint. And it's a pen I need to use more. Always loved the look of the Lapis Lazuli and Jade Green and Titanium, but am happy with what I have.

• 1 year later...

Hi Mr Thoth,

Another Townsend admirer here. May I add my congratulations on your collection and excellent photographs. I found this thread linked from the one I posted on last night, as I continue my searches on this wonderful forum.

Quick question about the blue Townsends in your amazing collection, if I may? In the first photo, I guess that the blue pen second from the right is the Midnight Blue, which I am struggling to find an example of. If that is right and the more modern Quartz Blue is in the third photo (along with its Ruby and Emerald cousins), then what are the two blue pens in the second photo, which sit next to each other to the left of what I think are the meteor and champagne finishes, please? If one is the marbled blue, what's the other? Thanks

Chaz

Thanx for the kind words, Chaz!

First Picture:
Blue Townsend second from the right: Midnight Blue
Second Picture:
Blue Townsend fifth from right: Marbled Blue Lacquer (gold appointments)
Blue Townsend sixth from right: Marbled Blue Lacquer (chromium appointments)
(Note: in this case I have both because I am unclear if the different appointments means different SKUs. I have never found any indication either way.)
Third Picture:
Blue Townsend farthest on right: Lapis
Hope that helps! If things are still unclear, let me know and I will keep going. ;)

MrThoth

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing MrThoth-

Any chance to witness the Jade next to the Lapis? Did the Jade come with a gold or steel nib?

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing MrThoth-
Any chance to witness the Jade next to the Lapis? Did the Jade come with a gold or steel nib?
Thank you!

I have two Jade Townsends, and I'm not sure which one was in the pictures I posted. Here's are pictures of one of them; the other is in storage (pending delivery of a new pen chest) and I can't get to it without a lot of digging and disruption. The nib appears to be steel (I typically don't pay much attention to nibs), but Townsend nibs are easy enough to swap out. ;)

Jade 01 5-2020 Optimized.jpg

Jade 02 05-2020 Optimized.jpg

Hope that helps! Always glad to talk about my Townsends. ;)

MrThoth

Beautiful - thank you. I am trying to find a Lapis and a Jade, but wonder what a reasonable price might be.

Beautiful - thank you. I am trying to find a Lapis and a Jade, but wonder what a reasonable price might be.

The prices I see on eBay for both the Lapis and the Jade are typically in the $800-$900 range, and this has been fairly consistent over time. That's what they're asking, at least -- unfortunately I have no way of knowing whether people are buying at those prices. If you're patient, occasionally someone lists one for around $300, though these often show signs of use.

MrThoth