The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Townsend Collection Display

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:51

Hello FPN! Long time follower, first time poster.

MrThoth, I wonder if you'd be kind enough to give details of the pen furthest left in your second of the display close ups? Chrome with horizontal marks by the look of it.

Thanks in advance!

That one is the Townsend Tuxedo.  They came in either Sterling Silver cap or Rhodium plated cap models. I believe the one in the picture has a Rhodium plated cap, as the sterling silver cap would look like the 3rd one to the right.  In 2002/2003 the Tuxedo models switched from Sterling Silver to Rhodium plated caps, so I heard.  

Sponsored Content

#42 Earthling_007

Earthling_007

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:02

Thanks for the reply max dog!
Think we might be talking about different pens as I thought the tuxedo had black barrel and metal cap; the pen I meant is all metal. The second picture in post #10 in this thread, pen furthest left, think it has stripes that go round the pen (unlike the more common along the length of the pen). Any idea what it is?

#43 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,267 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:23

Thanks for the reply max dog!
Think we might be talking about different pens as I thought the tuxedo had black barrel and metal cap; the pen I meant is all metal. The second picture in post #10 in this thread, pen furthest left, think it has stripes that go round the pen (unlike the more common along the length of the pen). Any idea what it is?

Oh, I was looking at the wrong post.  The only Townsend I know of with circular pattern is the Citrine lacquer.  The pen in that picture is all metal as you say and it is hard to make out the pattern, but I think what appears as circular rings is a visual distortion in the picture.  My guess is, it is the Platinum plated Townsend which has a wavy vertical pattern that maybe could look like circular rings under certain lighting.  I guess Mr Toth can ultimately answer that for us.  

Edited by max dog, 09 January 2018 - 12:28.

#44 Earthling_007

Earthling_007

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 13:27

Oh, I was looking at the wrong post.  The only Townsend I know of with circular pattern is the Citrine lacquer.  The pen in that picture is all metal as you say and it is hard to make out the pattern, but I think what appears as circular rings is a visual distortion in the picture.  My guess is, it is the Platinum plated Townsend which has a wavy vertical pattern that maybe could look like circular rings under certain lighting.  I guess Mr Toth can ultimately answer that for us.

Ah, so we were talking about different pens and I haven't gone mad! I see your point about clarity, but I think the platinum wavy model appears in another of the photos. Hopefully MrTroth can clear it up when he sees this!

#45 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 13:45

Hello FPN! Long time follower, first time poster.

MrThoth, I wonder if you'd be kind enough to give details of the pen furthest left in your second of the display close ups? Chrome with horizontal marks by the look of it.

Thanks in advance!

Sure thing. The all-chrome body with the horizontal rings around it is the Chrome Radial, SKU AT0047-34. It is (or was) a model primarily sold in England/Europe, which I believe is what the 47 in the SKU indicates.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

#46 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 13:53

Just for the sake of reference, here are all the silver Townsends (absent one, the Brush Platinum, which I got after taking this photo). In order from left to right, they are:

AT0046B-29 20th Anniversary Platinum Plated
AT0046CB-38 Japanese Cherry Blossom Brushed Platinum Plate
AT0046-1 Platinum Plated

656 Sterling Silver
536 Lustrous Chrome
536 Lustrous Chrome (black top on cap)
AT0047-31 Engraved Chrome
AT0047-34 Chrome Radial
506 Medalist
646 Quicksilver
626-1 Cyber Blue

Group 07 Silver Townsends Optimized.jpg

MrThoth

#47 Earthling_007

Earthling_007

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 16:53

Thanks so much Mr Thoth! I was watching a similar one on eBay, but someone else bought it before me. Also, you have an amazing collection, thanks for for sharing your knowledge. I'm only just getting into Townsends, having been a cross owner and user for a few years. Incidentally, did I notice a Concorde pen in your collection? I have the rollerball version, but in the medallist finish. Didn't know there were others!

#48 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 17:11

Always glad to pass along what I know. I keep meaning to create a website and/or book about Townsends, but haven't gotten around to doing anything more than creating a rough first draft of the book. Someday maybe I'll get it all done. ;)

There are two Concorde Cross Townsend pens that I'm aware of, one in Lustrous Chrome finish, and one in Quicksilver. (If there are SKUs for these pens, I don't know them.). If there's a Medalist Concorde fountain pen, I'd love to get one for my collection, but I've never seen it. Here's a picture of both, along with a picture of the Obama commemorative pen.

Concorde And Obama Optimized.jpg

Edited by MrThoth, 09 January 2018 - 17:12.

MrThoth

#49 Earthling_007

Earthling_007

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2018 - 23:11

Nice to see the others, now we know there are at least three finishes they used. I'll try to upload a photo of mine once I work out how to do so on here!

Oh, and I'd be very interested to see your book / website, think I would learn a lot.

Edited by Earthling_007, 09 January 2018 - 23:13.

#50 RUGMAN

RUGMAN

Transplanted Chicagoan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 16:43

Recently purchased a Townsend Tuxedo FP. I've always liked the simplicity of the design of the pen, especially the way it posts and closes. After a week with the pen I got the matching Tuxedo RB and was satisfied, for now. Then I wanted to add to the pair and found a Tuxedo BP, but in a version with a Sterling cap instead of the plated version. They're my everyday go to pens.....

Lee Rappeport

#51 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,267 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2018 - 18:22

I have 2 Sterling Silver Townsend FPs, but lately I've been really enjoying the plain jane Chrome Townsends as well.  The Chrome finish just looks clean and elegant, and the steel nibs have their own very nice feel and character different from the awesome 18K gold ones. Here is my Townsend Medalist.

fpn_1506205632__townsend_1.jpg

fpn_1506205658__townsend_2.jpg

fpn_1506205700__townsend_3.jpg

fpn_1506205739__townsend_4.jpg

Edited by max dog, 15 January 2018 - 18:27.

#52 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,515 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:33

As one who has been aware of this thread but never expressed his gratitude: it's a lovely collection and I feel thankful to Mr. Thoth for his kindness in sharing knowledge of his collection. I have only three Townsends, which puts me in the distant low foothills, nowhere near the peaks of collecting others have scaled.

But it's a pleasant pen to use, I think of it as underpriced, and I'm glad others, whether in the Carolinas or in East Asia, have done more of the heavy lifting.

#53 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2018 - 15:24

Thanks! I'm always glad to talk about Townsends. ;)

MrThoth

#54 Hanoi

Hanoi

Đại Gia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2018 - 16:48

I am not familiar Cross, are the Townsends still made in USA?

#55 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2018 - 14:27

I am not familiar Cross, are the Townsends still made in USA?

They are not, according to my understanding. Years ago the production mostly moved to Ireland, and then all of it moved to China.

Here's how you can tell:  look at the word CROSS on the clip. If it's in a cursive font, the pen was made in the USA or Ireland (depending on date of manufacture, which I have no way of discerning at this time). If the letters are separate in a straight, san serif font, the pen was made in China.

MrThoth

#56 Hanoi

Hanoi

Đại Gia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:54

They should just stick with the old "Made in...." to lessen future confusions.  In the pen world, I am quite wary with stand alone "USA" because it doesn´t tell me anything.  The French makers are notorious for doing this with "France".

#57 omarcenaro

omarcenaro

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:12

Fantastic collection!!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"George Orwell

#58 paule23

paule23

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 13:41

I still can't get over the first picture on this thread.  I've now managed to build a collection of a grand total of TWO Townsend fountain pens, might splash out for a third shortly (the Chinese New Year 2018 special edition is very tempting).  

I'm not sure I'll ever get close to some of the collections noted here. @jealous

#59 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 15:09

might splash out for a third shortly (the Chinese New Year 2018 special edition is very tempting)

I get that; the Asian zodiac pens are pretty cool. I am hoping that someday they will make a Townsend that's the same beautiful teal color as the Year Of The Monkey 2016 pen (which had a Sauvage body, not Townsend). I'd love to have a Townsend with that body color.

MrThoth

#60 Hanoi

Hanoi

Đại Gia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2018 - 19:24

So there is really just one "sterling" townsend with 18k nib model?  Does anyone know the years this sterling townsend was made? 

Sponsored Content

|