The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Townsend Collection Display

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2015 - 16:24

At long last, after years of ferreting out affordable pens, and months of having some stands custom-made to fit the vintage display case I got, I can display my full Townsend collection!

The pens are currently organized by SKU. The empty slots you see are for models/finishes that I have been unable to find and/or purchase yet. The hunt continues! In the back row are several customized Townsends, including the Barack Obama Presidential pen.

Townsends In Case 01A Optimized.jpg

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Sponsored Content

#2 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 17:33

Amazing collection. The Townsend is an excellent pen. I have a black lacquer a sterling silver the hade and lapis versions.

#3 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 17:54

A testament to your focus on a specific model by a specific maker over  a long period of time.

Impressive, and good luck filling the gaps,

gary 

#4 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2015 - 20:11

Beautiful collection and display, Mr Thoth. Could you show us some individual photos of your Barack Obama Presidential Townsend?

#5 christian1122

christian1122

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2015 - 20:26

wait, what?

that is the actual pen obama used? or just a clone of his pen?

#6 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2015 - 21:54

Could you show us some individual photos of your Barack Obama Presidential Townsend? 

Soitanly!

Obama Townsend.jpg

Basically it's just an AT0046-4 Black Lacquer with Rhodium Appointments that's got Obama's signature and the presidential seal added on the barrel.

Edited by MrThoth, 07 August 2015 - 21:57.

MrThoth

#7 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2015 - 21:55

that is the actual pen obama used? or just a clone of his pen?

Just a "clone" -- a pen Cross produces to capitalize on the publicity from the Prez using their pens. For that matter, the ones he signs with are rollerballs (or ballpoints). Multiple fountain pens would be too tricky in that situation, I expect, especially when (as now) the President is a southpaw.

If I ever do come across a Townsend FP verifiably used by a US President, I'll definitely try to add it to my collection, though. ;)

Edited by MrThoth, 07 August 2015 - 21:56.

MrThoth

#8 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2015 - 22:19

Very nice. Presidential even. Thanks for the photo.

#9 MCN

MCN

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 00:17

Very nice! Any chance of some closer pics of the pens?

#10 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 13:44

Any chance of some closer pics of the pens? 

I'd thought about doing that; thanx for reminding me. Here are closer pictures of the four stands with pens on them (forgive my poor photography skills). If you want specifics on any pen, or closer photos of a specific pen, just let me know. ;)

Townsends On Stands 01 Optimized.jpg

Townsends On Stands 02 Optimized.jpg

Townsends On Stands 03 Optimized.jpg

Townsends On Stands 04 Optimized.jpg

MrThoth

#11 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 14:44

Very nice collection, Mr Thoth. Something very satisfying about being a completist on a specific pen. I'm currently in the middle to end of my Esterbrook collection. I collect the J, SJ, LJ marbled pens, the transitionals, Bandless and Icicles. Play toys for adults, I suspect, but quite satisfying. I really admire your display case. Very nice.

#12 harry015

harry015

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 15:53

Beautiful display of some lovely pens. I use a Townsend RB when needed, and a couple of the Medalist series FP's in my rotation. They are great pens, very underappreciated, which makes them semi-affordable. That's super for limited budget collector's, like me.

What's the model to the left of the Obama model? It isn't one I remember, and looks nice. Looks like something a person with the last name Brown should own. That explains my curiosity. I'd like to start looking for my own example. The hunt is part of the joy....

Thanks, and good luck filling the gaps.

#13 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 16:08

What's the model to the left of the Obama model? It isn't one I remember, and looks nice. Looks like something a person with the last name Brown should own. That explains my curiosity. I'd like to start looking for my own example. The hunt is part of the joy....

That is one I can't positively identify, much to my frustration. It's a sort of copper-y or bronze-ish lacquer, lighter in color and different in pattern from the 636 Sienna Lacquer. I've searched every which way I know and can't find any information on it, just a couple of pictures. I am hoping to find an A.T. Cross rep at the DC Pen Show I can ask about it. If not, I'll resort to writing the company. One way or another I'm getting a name and a SKU. ;) The same goes for a couple others I don't have full information on (such as the "Titanium Grey Lacquer" that my collection still lacks).

I wish I could tell you where to find one, but this one's the only one I've ever seen on sale during my time as a collector. And until it popped up on eBay I wasn't even aware of the model's existence! If I come across another one I'll let you know.

Here are some close-ups of it:

Copper Lacquer.jpg

Copper Lacquer 01.jpg

Copper Lacquer 02.jpg

Edited by MrThoth, 08 August 2015 - 16:10.

MrThoth

#14 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 16:09

I'm currently in the middle to end of my Esterbrook collection.

Good luck! I only own one Esterbrook, a copper-colored SJ. I love the look of it, but it's too short for my tastes.

But that's part of the fun -- each of us finds the pen that suits him and hunts for it. ;)

MrThoth

#15 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 17:14

Holy moly, MrThoth!

That is a peerless collection of Townsends.

Thank you for sharing it!

Hope fill in the remaining gaps in it soon..... :)

Mark
Digerati & FP Addict
Current Pens: Aurora, Pilot, Scriptorium, Tibaldi, Visconti, Wahl-Eversharp

#16 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 17:27

Awesome collection!  Awesome display case!  As a like minded collector of a different brand, I can completely understand where you are coming from.  The fewer holes in the collection that you have, the harder the gaps get to fill.  Good luck completing it.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#17 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 18:34

I have the Pelikan's Perch bookmarked in case I ever start collecting Pelikans seriously. ;)

I hope to create a similar site for the Townsend once I finish my Townsend Collector's Guide, which still has a few too many information gaps for me to release into the wild.

MrThoth

#18 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2015 - 21:10

I also have Sargetalon's Pelikan Perch bookmarked. Although I'm not a Pelikan completist, I have several and think they're great pens. Sarge's site is the best resource around for Pelikan ID (those he collects).

#19 harry015

harry015

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:47

That is one I can't positively identify, much to my frustration. It's a sort of copper-y or bronze-ish lacquer, lighter in color and different in pattern from the 636 Sienna Lacquer. I've searched every which way I know and can't find any information on it, just a couple of pictures. I am hoping to find an A.T. Cross rep at the DC Pen Show I can ask about it. If not, I'll resort to writing the company. One way or another I'm getting a name and a SKU. ;) The same goes for a couple others I don't have full information on (such as the "Titanium Grey Lacquer" that my collection still lacks).

I wish I could tell you where to find one, but this one's the only one I've ever seen on sale during my time as a collector. And until it popped up on eBay I wasn't even aware of the model's existence! If I come across another one I'll let you know.

I hope you are able to pin down the model on the pen. After seeing the close-ups, I'm more enamored by it. If it's as uncommon as it appears from your experience, I hope I luck into one at a yard sale. If I do find one, it will be reported here, of course.

Please advise us what you find out, as I'm sure others will be interested, as well.

Here are some close-ups of it:

attachicon.gifCopper Lacquer.jpg

attachicon.gifCopper Lacquer 01.jpg

attachicon.gifCopper Lacquer 02.jpg

#20 harry015

harry015

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:51

My message got lost, except for the quote, sorry.

I mentioned that it appears to be a particularly interesting and lovely pen. I'll be on the look out for an example, and will post here if I discover one.

Thanks for the great close-ups of the pen.

Sponsored Content

|