Is The Platinum Preppy Durable?

NewPenMan

There is an upgrade version of the Preppy called Plaisir. It has the same nib, feed and grip section, but a metal body and cap, made of anodized aluminum.

=> http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/products/fountain/e_fountain_plaisir.html

I have one of these, and have substituted my 0.2mm section which screws right in. Cap also fits perfectly.

The problem is that the pen is a smooth, satin metal that I find impossible to grip. I even have trouble getting enough purchase to pull the cap off.

I can't imagine how a company with Platinum's experience could make a pen like this. But I also can't imagine how the same company could make a pen like the Preppy that immediately breaks.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• graystranger

• cattar

• bmillicent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A great alternative to the Preppy is the Pilot Varsity. The plastic used is much tougher. They can be easily refilled by pulling out the friction fit nib and feed and filling like an eyedropper.

+1 but there are less nib options available.

As others have said, the caps crack very easily. I've taken to wrapping a bit of tape around the cap when it cracks and it repairs it quite nicely and restores the "click" when the pen is capped.

I have one of these, and have substituted my 0.2mm section which screws right in. Cap also fits perfectly.

The problem is that the pen is a smooth, satin metal that I find impossible to grip. I even have trouble getting enough purchase to pull the cap off.

I can't imagine how a company with Platinum's experience could make a pen like this. But I also can't imagine how the same company could make a pen like the Preppy that immediately breaks.

I don't think it is the smooth metal that makes the cap hard to get off. I put my Plaisir metal cap on a Preppy and it came off as easily as the plastic Preppy cap. I put the Preppy cap on the Plaisir body and it also came off easily. I think the metal sheath on the cap prevents makes the cap much more rigid (resistant to expanding) so it has more resistance when it is pulled off. Actually, my experiment disproved that - the metal cap came off the Preppy easily. Maybe Platinum is making the locking ring on the grip section a tiny bit larger on the Plaisir than on the Preppy.

Everything about the Preppy pens will interchange with the Plaisir, the grip sections as well. I like my Plaisir but have to be careful gripping it to pull the cap off. Helps if I rotate the body as I pull. It may smooth up. You could buff the ring that locks into the cap with a fine grip material, but you have to be careful you don't go too far.

But, it would be easier to switch the Plaisir grip section with a Preppy that is not so hard to pull off.

The F (0.3) nib that came with my Plaisir is extremely smooth writing. I'm using Platinum Carbon Black in mine now, wonderful writing pen.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I don't know whether this makes a difference or not, but when I un-cap or re-cap my Preppies, I never do it so hard as to create a hard "snap."

I have the pen with both hands, one hand gently pulling, the other gently pushing and ease the cap off as gently as I can do it.

I also followed others' advice and put some scotch tape around the mouth of the cap..couple of snug turns' worth.

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

I have two Plaisirs and have so far owned no Preppies. I open all my slip and snap-cap pens the same way.

I wrap the pinkie, ring, and long fingers of my strong hand around the barrel, and grasp the ring of the cap between my curled index finger and thumb, and gently separate the two. Once the cap is loose, my off hand takes it away and possibly posts it.

My hands tend to be dry (medical record librarian), but I've never found my Plaisirs to be too slick to open with this method. In fact, my Rotring Surf, which requires more effort to open, was the impetus for developing the technique -- it spits ink into its cap, otherwise.

I thought I'd buy another Preppy, but

Two weeks ago, the cap cracked.
One week ago, the cap wouldn't click closed on the pen.

So I took out the spring behind the inner cap.
Then the pen clicked closed softly, rather than firmly.
And the inner seal was loose.

Today I saw the post suggesting the string/urushi repair.
Will substitute floss and nail polish.
If it's successful, I'll have to hunt down that spring and put it back behind the inner seal.

I like that sealing cap. There's no evaporation from this pen. It's reliable. It writes a fine line. But the pen doesn't sing to me. And I've had it 4 1/2 months.

Instead of buying another Preppy or the metal Plaisir, I'm buying a Platinum Cool. And maybe a Platinum Balance, too.

I like that sealing cap. There's no evaporation from this pen. It's reliable. It writes a fine line. But the pen doesn't sing to me. And I've had it 4 1/2 months.

Instead of buying another Preppy or the metal Plaisir, I'm buying a Platinum Cool. And maybe a Platinum Balance, too.

I have both the Cool and Balance and love them very much. They have the sealing inner cap like the Preppies, except it is not spring loaded. The inner sealing cap snaps over the metal ferrule at the front of the grip section, forming a sealing cap inside the pen's cap. Since the inner cap is not a brittle plastic, I think there is not much chance of it cracking. A lot of pen for the money in my opinion.

Easy to disassemble the grip section and remove the feed and nib for thorough cleaning. The Cool and Balance are the same pens, just one is translucent and one opaque resin.

Pay close attention to the parts that come out when you disassemble the grip, as there is a ring and a rubber seal that have to go back in the orientation that they came out. You just unscrew the metal part that the barrel screws onto then gently push the nib and feed out of the grip backwards along with a rubber seal. You can clean everything out; I grease the rubber seal and the metal threads with Goulet silicone grease before reassembly. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT GET ANY GREASE ON THE NIB OR FEED OR ANY INK CHANNEL WHEN YOU DO THIS. If you do, you will have an instant dry writing pen.

I just wish the Balance and Cool came with a greater variety of nib sizes, like EF and B. An italic would be wonderful.

Thanks for the Balance/Cool tips. I too wish them came in more nib sizes. I'd add a BB to your list.

Same for the Preppy/Plaisir, since so many like them.

Meanwhile.

It's been a couple weeks since I took the spring out of the cracked Preppy cap and replaced the liner. The Preppy hard starts now.

Tried the string/urushi repair on the cap with floss/nail polish, but it the floss was waxed and didn't hold.

Next will try thread/nail polish.

Edited by cattar

FYI, I am into week 2 with my Preppies. I taped the caps later the same day as I received the pens. I continue to handle them gently (as gently as I handle any pen or delicate; no more, no less)

So far, no cracking. Fingers crossed. Will report any changes.

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

I have been using Preppy (fine nib) for about 1 month. Very smooth writer. The cap is still good.

I converted it to an eye dropper - looks nice.

post-124376-0-43302100-1440459946_thumb.jpg

that does look pretty good..and very handy to see what your ink level is..

I'm in week 3..maybe week 4 of mine..still working and no cracks.

Like that eyedropper, tho I also like changing inks.

Do plaisir caps fit the preppies?

Yes, they do. I got a Plaisir 10 days ago and all the components interchange with all the components of my Preppys. The nib (fountain pen, highlighter tip, and marker tip), the cap, the section, and the barrel. I love mine and the 0.3mm nib (F) is super smooth.

So, If I want, I can put any Preppy nib or tip in it. I love the feel of the metal barrel and cap. Of course, you can by 4 or 5 Preppys for one Plaisir, but still the Plaisir was under $20 at Goulet Pens. I got the gun metal finish and I think it looks great. Very shiny but a darker shade than a chrome finish. not a lot, just enough to be different. By the way, I noticed a "0.3" stamped in the tip of the cap, designating what nib came with it.

I really love the Preppy! I am not exaggerating, either :)

I have accumulated five of them over the years. One developed a crack in the cap lip, so it's useless now, except for the nib and feed unit.

I find the nibs outstanding, both the 0.3 and 0.5 mm. I use these pens mostly for writing with ink samples. I dump an entire sample into the barrel, and have a huge supply of ink that will last for a long time. That way, I don't feel the need to buy ink bottles. The 2 ml (or larger) samples last me a long time. The interesting thing about the Preppy is the cap design. It's done some well that the pen doesn't dry out for days.

Finally, these pens are very easy to disassemble and clean thoroughly.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

I have accumulated five of them over the years. One developed a crack in the cap lip, so it's useless now, except for the nib and feed unit.

No interest in fixing up that cap? or is the crack too extensive/jagged and not worth trying to patch up?

I just bought a .2mm Preppy... I still not yet sure what to feel for it yet

What :yikes: ?

Having written with my first one I immediately ordered another two and am now seriously thinking of selling my Pilot 912 PO nib.

I love my 0.2mm Preppy's.

I had a thought - tell me what you folks think:

Since proactive taping is one solution to the cracking issue, why not cash in on the tape craze? That is to say, make it also aesthetic with Washi or duct tape. The Washi is fairly narrow anyway. The chosen design (solid or print) duct tape could be trimmed and would be extremely durable. And you know the old saying about spit, bailing wire, and tape . . .

Done right, a pen would look really cool, n'est-ce pas?

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

I agree. .. also good easy cheap way to personalize one's pen as well

Precisely !!

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.