Favorite Ef Fountain Pens.

Adv.

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some recommendation for an Extra Fine fountain pens since I dont have any and I really like thin writing.

The only fountain pens i have are:

- Visconti Rembrandt - Fine and Medium (Fine is nice thats why i even want to try to the Extra Fine nibs because i don't like the thickness in writing)

- Kaweco Classic Fountain pen - Fine (Really nice fountain pen. The writing is smooth)

I look for some of the following features:

- Extra Fine Nib (or Fine if you think it's thin enough)

- Not a wet writing (I want the ink to dry fast because if i suddenly touch it, everything goes messy)

- Smooth writing

Would appreciate your thoughts.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Adv.

• prf5

• shawndp

• SujiCorp12345

The Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO (posting nib) writes a smooth extra fine line. I have yet to see anything better than this for tiny writing.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

The Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO (posting nib) writes a smooth extra fine line. I have yet to see anything better than this for tiny writing.

I have checked the reviews about and it looks beautiful. I like the fact its very thin.

Franklin-Christoph, TWSBI, Lamy. Their extra fine works pretty well.

Franklin-Christoph - couldn't find any good model there.

TWSBI - Never heard of this brand.

Lamy - Looks like my Kaweco. Cheap and good pens.

I have checked the reviews about and it looks beautiful. I like the fact its very thin.

Franklin-Christoph - couldn't find any good model there.

TWSBI - Never heard of this brand.

Lamy - Looks like my Kaweco. Cheap and good pens.

You don't know what you re talking about.

I sure don't. That's why I am asking in here.

I am just a new guy in the Fountain Pen world, but I am a quick learner ;)

Edited by Adv.

Try the Sailor F nibs in 14K and see how you feel about the width. My gf likes fine nibs and she is a big fan of Sailor - mostly the Pro Gear but the 1911 too... Platinum's PTL-5000 is another 14K gold affair that is smooth and fine that isn't terribly expensive. In general you will find that Japanese F nibs run finer than the German ones so an EF may be overkill unless you like it that way. If you are really curious about an EF Japanese nib width you can buy the Pilot Penmanship for under $10 and then decide if you want to spend the money for a gold nib. All the best!

Try the Sailor F nibs in 14K and see how you feel about the width. My gf likes fine nibs and she is a big fan of Sailor - mostly the Pro Gear but the 1911 too... Platinum's PTL-5000 is another 14K gold affair that is smooth and fine that isn't terribly expensive. In general you will find that Japanese F nibs run finer than the German ones so an EF may be overkill unless you like it that way. If you are really curious about an EF Japanese nib width you can buy the Pilot Penmanship for under $10 and then decide if you want to spend the money for a gold nib. All the best!

So basically the Japanese nibs are much more Finer than the German ones?

I guess thats why i am looking for the EF nibs, because even the F nib looks a bit thick on my Visconti pen.

Japanese nibs in general - at least Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor and their associated high-end brands - tend to be much finer than their counterparts that hail from elsewhere. I have a couple of Pilot Custom 74s with fine nibs and they are wonderful - smooth marvels. The fine point is not even the finest - they all have Extra Fine, I believe, and you can even find Ultra Extra Fine. Wonderful pens - my favorites hands-down.

Just be aware that as the tip get finer, it's writing feel is more sensitive to the surface texture of the paper.

So you need a smoother hard paper.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Japanese nibs in general - at least Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor and their associated high-end brands - tend to be much finer than their counterparts that hail from elsewhere. I have a couple of Pilot Custom 74s with fine nibs and they are wonderful - smooth marvels. The fine point is not even the finest - they all have Extra Fine, I believe, and you can even find Ultra Extra Fine. Wonderful pens - my favorites hands-down.

Will look at those pens now. Thanks.

Just be aware that as the tip get finer, it's writing feel is more sensitive to the surface texture of the paper.

So you need a smoother hard paper.

Thank you for the tip mate,

cheers.

So basically the Japanese nibs are much more Finer than the German ones?

I guess thats why i am looking for the EF nibs, because even the F nib looks a bit thick on my Visconti pen.

Japanese F and EF are extremely fine - once you get to B and BB they are every bit as wide as their Western counterparts. I've never tried a Visconti F but comparing Kaweco / Stipula / Lamy's EF would rate more like a Japanese Fine.

My japanese EF: Pilot ( I have a Custom 74, a Custom Heritage 92 , a Custom 823 and a Pilot Namiki elabo metal) , Platinum 3776, Pilot Penmanship and my german ones : Lamy 2000 EF ( normal & stainless), Pelikan 600, Pelikan studio, Kaweco Sport.

My favorite is the Namiki Falcon metal , followed by the Lamy 2000.

The TWSBI Mini EFs (Taiwan) that I have are very good fines but not as fine as my Pilot Metro F (Japan). Most of my FPs are either F or EF due to my small hand writing. I have gotten my TWSBI and Metro from Gouletpens.com (no affiliation) without any issues. The Metro is an excellent smooth writer for the cost.

My Cross Solo/Radiance EF I got from EBay and is one of my workhorses. If I recall correctly, Cross did not make the nibs for this pen, and sourced them from elsewhere.

My MBs EF are nowhere near fine as is typical of Western nibs.

An Italian EF would be something like a Japanese F-M. I have a couple of Pilot F nibs, and I find them too needle-fine for cursive or block letters, if ideal for writing Japanese/Chinese characters. The Visconti EF Dreamtouch nib is unspeakably wonderful - wet, smooth, excellent line variation.

My thin enoughs are lamy ef and pilot & platinum f.

If you want something really fine, would recommend japanese pens - sailor in particular..

Japanese nibs from the big 3 (Sailor, Platinum, and Pilot) run finer than their Western counterparts. If you need that type of line for your writing, then modern Japanese pens are excellent writing tools with well-deserved reputation for reliability, fine art, and performance.

However, you should also consider looking into the vintage world. Esterbrook nibs come in an amazing range of sizes, even including manifold nibs that allowed enough pressure to work well with carbon paper. i have a Gregg Shorthand nib on an Esterbrook J that demands a wet ink so I can see the line!

As mentioned above, a fine nib will likely not feel as "smooth" as a broader nib. The nib "floats" on a pool of ink, and the wider nibs can give a very nice feeling on the paper. Finer nibs will need smooth paper, careful usage to stay in the sweet spot of the nib, and caution to make sure the tines stay aligned.

Buzz

If you want to try out Japanese EF and F nibs without committing to an expensive pen, the Pilot Penmanship (EF) and Pilot 78G in F (they also come in M, which is smaller than US/EU Ms too) are cheap and a good way to try out that nib size. You might find that it doesn't work on your favorite notebook or something like that and want to go up a size.

No question, a Japanese nib in a Japaneses pen. Well... definitely a Japanese nib, atleast F. I think you'll find western nibs (aren't they mostly German manufacture in origin?) to be inconsistent as to actual line width irregardless of F or EF marking.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

I sure don't. That's why I am asking in here....

ROFLMAO!!!!!

What a patently obnoxious reply and what a diplomatic response from you.

I like thin line too. Omas 18k EF has the thickest of my EFs. Delta 14k EF is thinner. Followed by Sailor 21k F.

Just inked today for first time Sailor 21k EF and my-oh-my. Thin, smooth, no scratchiness or skipping. Delightful.