Delta Capri Marina Grande, A Mediterranean Dream Of A Pen

columela

First Impressions (9/10)
This is a pen that came to me as an afterthought. I was looking for a Delta Dolce vita, and when I found the one that I wanted this one was on sale as well in a well known online auction site, for the same price so I bought both of them. The pen came very well packed in a nice, very original box that showed a nice sketch of the main port in Capri Island, near Naples in Italy. The pen was very well protected and came with some standard delta cartridges, the usual paperwork and other promotional materials.

Appearance (10/10)
The most impressive feature of this pen is the rich , deep blue colour of the cap and body. Blue is my favourite colour but this blue is so rich with reflexes that looks like a precious stone. The cap has a band of the same texture in light blue and other in sky blue. The barrel has a very nice sterling silver ring with carvesd waves and curves suggesting the wind and the sea. It is probably the most sea-oriented pen that I have .
The cap has a flat surface onto which a square silver metal piece is inlaid, showing the dial of the main tower clock in the old town of Capri.. There is an inscription that says DELTA ITALY and lower down there is a number, as this is a numbered edition.
The body has an inscription with the words Capri Marina Grande. The clip is quite springly but secured. It featured some sort of stylised amphora like carving and has a ring that can rotate to facilitate being clipped into a pocket.

Design/Size/Weight (9/10)
This pen is extremely light as it weights 27.7 g inked. it measured 136 mm capped, and 146 mm posted.
The general shape of the pen is quite original, as it is a flat top pen, with a marked curve in the cap that is quite pleasant and feminine ,as the curves of a goddess . I would like to emphasise how pleasant is this pen in the hand, how well balanced and beautiful to look at is. The only problem is that i have to hold it on the threads and I find this a minor irritation but I have had long writing sessions with it and I have forgot completely after a few seconds.
Another thing that I like of this pen is that he pen can be posted very securely so it has a perfect balance in my hand when posted.

Nib (10/10)
This pen came with one of these Fusion nibs that Delta is promoting in recent years. So I will consider it a steel nib as the gold plaque is just there as an aesthetic and marketing tool. Having said that, this is is one of the most pleasant ninbs that I have ever used. This was an EF nib, very smooth, no skipping ,no issues whatsoever. I was desperate to fill my diary with words in order to keep using it, that pleasant it was.

Filling System (8/10)
Conventional cartridge converter system. It is quite a big converter , securely screwed in, but I wish it was a piston filler, as it would have made it a near perfect pen.

Cost and Value (10/10)
I paid far less from the recommended retail price and also less of the average street value. To me it has been one of my best pen purchases ever. I have had no problems of any kind and have made me even more addicted to Italian pens.

Conclusion (9,3/10)
This pen has been one of my favourites since I bought it . Even when it is not inked I have it on my desk to just look at it when the blue reflections of the light on its surface. It reminds me of the deep blue waters of the Mediterranean. I could not recommend it more vehemently.

post-6023-0-51185700-1438797203.jpgpost-6023-0-16030700-1438797214.jpgpost-6023-0-82185700-1438797230.jpgpost-6023-0-46826100-1438797244.jpgpost-6023-0-27707200-1438797254.jpgpost-6023-0-70457900-1438797288.jpgpost-6023-0-29649200-1438797302.jpgpost-6023-0-48967300-1438797314.jpgpost-6023-0-07861800-1438797425.jpg

“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• columela

• visvamitra

• TassoBarbasso

• EclecticCollector

Lovely pen, if only it didn't have the engraving on the body. I personally don't care for that, I prefer a cleaner look.

I have the Marina Piccola, a lovely little pen, excellent quality and a wonderfully soft, almost flexible 14k nib. It's a shame that they don't use the gold nibs anymore: Delta was among the few companies that really made a difference between its steel and gold nibs.

I have this pen! It is fantastic and one of my very favorites. Mine has a fusion bold nib. I love it. I also have a Delta Horsepower with a fusion stub nib - my very favorite pen.

While many think the fusion nib is a gimmick, I have to say that both of my Delta pens with fusion nibs write every bit as smoothly as my gold nibs. They do not write like my other steel nibs and are far smoother and "buttery" nibs. Perhaps what Delta claims is true.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you for your nice review! I have this pen with 14k F nib. One of my favorites. To my surprise, my package is too big uselessly.

rokurinpapa

• 1 year later...

Just got one of these used at Kingdom Note. Mine has a medium 14k nib and writes very smoothly. The packaging IS over the top huge! The inner box for the pen itself is strange, nice heavy plastic top that scrwes in to Styrofoam!?!? But the pen is awesome!