The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help With Id And Restoration

restoration identification

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alexp

Alexp

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:45

Hello,

I was recently given this Waterman Ideal pen that was owned by my wife's Grandfather. The pen is sterling silver and the bladder pump arm says "Ideal" and the nib says "Waterman Ideal Canada". I cannot find any other reference to the pen type however the pump arm does have some patent information on the sides.

I was hoping for some help on two points. First, finding out exactly what pen this is? Second, does anyone know of a restorer in or near Vancouver, BC? This pen definitely needs some love.

Best Regards,
Alex
Waterman Ideal - Copy.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 kernando

kernando

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:08

Look again at the nib for a number, then look on the back end of the pen barrel for another number. If you post a closer and better exposed picture, somebody might recognize the silver overlay pattern and remember the name for it.

stolen 8/14/16 SF south of Market https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gf24EwNiEy6nfKoep2Gnw8EVFthfPngtNSuSgIrAWRk/edit?usp=sharing

#3 Alexp

Alexp

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2015 - 16:22

There was no number on back of the pen barrel (the pen is well worn). However on the underside of the nib there was topline "E3.S" bottom line Jan, 9. 

Here is another picture of the overlay that got some better lighting. 

Thanks for the help. 

Waterman Ideal Close Up.jpg

#4 balson

balson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:14

it looks like a waterman 452 in oriental pattern.  4 in the 100's spot would indicate that it is a silver overlay, the 5 in the 10's spot would indicate that it was a lever filler, and the 2 is the nib size, i am least certain about this number, but looking on the nib would tell you the correct number here.  its really a beautiful pen and it looks like the hard rubber is in great shape.  the oriental pattern is one of the harder ones to find from what i understand.  

you can double check that it is an oriental pattern over here

http://www.vintagepe..._patterns.shtml

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: restoration, identification

Sponsored Content

|