Two Walitys

Roger

I've just got a 69L piston yesterday, and I'm startled-- it's very like a pen which did NOT cost about $6.50 when the shipping's figured in. I find the medium nib is writing rather fine, which pleases me right down to the ground. Add me to the "fans" list.

Also-- WOO! LARGE!

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger

• zxc

• ojars

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

ok! ok! I ordered two Wality pens from retrodesk -- the 69LFB and a burgundy 69L piston filler.

Nakaya Writer Wajima-Urushi nuri Kikyo long pen fp - Grayson Tighe Twist Damascus fp - Mont Blanc Ramses mp - Pelikan M800 (2) - Restored 1936 Conklin Nozac fp - 1935 Waterman #3 mp - Namiki Falcon fp - Lamy Al-Star fp (2) - Parker 51 (8) - Swan/Mabie Todd fp - Wality 69L (3) - et alii

I have one, a 5x something. It is a blue, piston filler flat top, that looks kind of like a stripped down Pelikan M605. It is a really great writer, holds a huge amount of ink, and is among the most reliable pens I own.

• 2 weeks later...

Received two Walitys a week ago. I had ordered the All Black 69LFB and a burgundy 69L piston filler.

The burgundy eyedropper, which I received in a trifling error, works superbly. I look forward to the arrival of the burgundy piston filler, but I must say the eyedropper is impressive. Smooth is an apt description. A knock out! I practically drained my remaining half bottle of Mont Blanc blue into this cavernous pen. It is now my official Sudoku, Kakuro, crossword and statistical mathematics pen. I shall be quite surprised when I run out of ink!

The All Black piston filler does not write so well at the moment. The blacking applied to the nib is an added and fragile layer, which is prone to delamination in spots as the nib flexes. I had thought the nib would be blacked in the metal like a Lamy. I am waiting for most of the black stuff to flake off. I imagine Noodler's Black ink hides in the gap of the delaminations and comes out when you least expect it. As I wait, the All Black gives me great interest to see what will happen next. One failure mode gave off a fine spray of Noodler's Black ink for a decorative effect in my writing until a great hunk of the nib blacking separated from the pen, thereby ending that fun. If I find a black nib someday, I will have to remember to put it in this pen to recover the All Black attitude!

Do not interpret these experiences in any way but positive. I am very pleased and very impressed.

Edited by ojars

Nakaya Writer Wajima-Urushi nuri Kikyo long pen fp - Grayson Tighe Twist Damascus fp - Mont Blanc Ramses mp - Pelikan M800 (2) - Restored 1936 Conklin Nozac fp - 1935 Waterman #3 mp - Namiki Falcon fp - Lamy Al-Star fp (2) - Parker 51 (8) - Swan/Mabie Todd fp - Wality 69L (3) - et alii

• 4 months later...

I am so incredibly disappointed with this pen.

I just inked up my first 69L with Fine nib. Out of the package, the feed and nib were shoved in so far that after twenty minutes of soaking in PR DC Supershow Blue it still wouldn't start. I'm new at messing with nibs, so was hesitant to start with a brand new pen but this absolutely would not write so I figured I might as well. A gentle nudge and the feed extended a full 1/4" inch from it's starting position. It was writing but also flowing like a gusher. I played with the position, fine-tuning a little forward a little back until it was writing in a smooth even line. I started testing it and within a half page there was ink pouring out of the joint between the nib and feed section. (Yes. I used silicone grease on the threads. No. They can't be tightened anymore than they are. No. I don't see any cracks.) My hands are covered with ink and the pen is blotting again as it writes.

Only a $24 dollar mistake but 24 bucks that could've gone to buying ink that I could use or added to the price of a decent pen. My first and last Wality. I understand I may've gotten a dog. The problem is it's too cheap to warrant sending back and trying again. Why bother? I can't imagine trusting this pen enough to slip it in my pocket and head out for a day without Amodex, rags, and rubber gloves. I'll go back to the Sheaffer cartridge pens I've been using as eyedroppers without any problems. At least this one is cheap enough to throw away.

Directions that recommend using wax to seal the threads came with my pens. A candle (unlit) is kept as a source of wax. The threads are scraped against the candle such that a generous amount of wax is left on the threads. Then the barrel is filled and the parts are screwed together. Excess wax is wiped away. I have not had a leak issue to date.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - I fired that harangue off while I was soaked with PR ink and upset over the pen. Wish I could take it back now.

First, thanks to Pete at Retrodesk. I sent one email and had a replacement on its way via priority mail. When I received it, this pen came out of the package without leaks and with the nib aligned perfectly. I filled it up and have been writing with it for the past three days without any problems or complaints. Beyond that, I love the way it feels in my hand. Incredibly comfortable, which is very surprising considering the size of the barrel. It lays down a very nice wet fine line and never blots or drips. I get it. I see why everybody loves the Wality. It's really attractive, well balanced with a smooth writing nib and enough ink that I could probably take a vacation without worrying about a refill. Great pen and I was wrong. I suspect I’ll be using it a lot and collecting more.

I received my Wality 69L from Retrodesk yesterday and am putting it through its paces. I made a huge ink blot all over my dining room tablecloth while learning how to operate the pen's companion eyedropper. Uck! wadda mess, but it's Skrip Blue and washed out without too much damage.

At first try, it ran dry and skipped, eventually starved for ink. So I emptied the ink back into the bottle and soaked the section in a glass of water with dishwashing liquid for a couple hours, then tried again. Success this time, the ink flow by the 2nd day is consistent and sufficient for the medium point nib this pen shipped with (although I thought it would come with a fine point? Well, no matter - Ah, this medium is just right.)

The looks and finish are OK; I noticed abrasions or defects on the cap band which may be shipping damage. The body and cap are smooth and unblemished. My pen is blue, and the color is good, but not really exciting. The Wality 69L may be a good base pen for somebody to customize - sparkles, anyone?

EDIT: 3rd day. I'm very pleased with the ink flow on this pen. I was in a meeting this morning with the pen uncapped for about 20 minutes and it continued to write without drying out, which is a pleasant surprise for an open-nib pen.

Edited by Robert Hughes

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

• 8 months later...
I received my Wality 69L from Retrodesk yesterday and am putting it through its paces. I made a huge ink blot all over my dining room tablecloth while learning how to operate the pen's companion eyedropper. Uck! wadda mess, but it's Skrip Blue and washed out without too much damage.

At first try, it ran dry and skipped, eventually starved for ink. So I emptied the ink back into the bottle and soaked the section in a glass of water with dishwashing liquid for a couple hours, then tried again. Success this time, the ink flow by the 2nd day is consistent and sufficient for the medium point nib this pen shipped with (although I thought it would come with a fine point? Well, no matter - Ah, this medium is just right.)

The looks and finish are OK; I noticed abrasions or defects on the cap band which may be shipping damage. The body and cap are smooth and unblemished. My pen is blue, and the color is good, but not really exciting. The Wality 69L may be a good base pen for somebody to customize - sparkles, anyone?

EDIT: 3rd day. I'm very pleased with the ink flow on this pen. I was in a meeting this morning with the pen uncapped for about 20 minutes and it continued to write without drying out, which is a pleasant surprise for an open-nib pen.

Lots of them on sale on ebay . I like the transparent one a lot.

"............. society imposes insults that must be borne, comforted by the knowledge that in this world there comes a time when the most humble of men, if he keeps his eyes open, can take his revenge upon the most powerful."

====== Don Corleone

• 5 months later...

Just ordered a 52 from retrodesk. Can't wait!

Tombow: Aluminium Object (EF).

Pilot: Green, Black 78G (F); Black 78G (Stub).

Platignum: Green No. 5 Studio.

Reform: 1745 x 2.

• 1 year later...

I just got a 69L and love it. Although I didn't clean the pen before inking it for the first time, and as a result it put down some blotches on the page before I cleaned and re-inked it. It's been perfect ever since!

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else notice that the Wality 69L has a nib slightly reminiscent of the Prelude's nib?

Edited by PenFan95
I'm not your 'friend', bud

I purchased a Wality 69LFB from retrodesk, and after three weeks of waiting I started sending them emails. The emails were never answered, and the pen has still not arrived (almost 2 months now!!), so I am a bit dissapointed with retrodesk to say the least.

• 11 months later...

I had a similar incident with retrodesk a few months ago. After a month of waiting and e-mailing, the only response I got was to a paypal dispute. Very disappointing, considering the low number of people selling these fantastic pens.

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

As heineda and cjabbott have mentioned, his response to emails was very sluggish when I last dealt with him a good while ago. I've taken my business elsewhere. A fellow fpner in India has an online shop and I have bought a few pens from him. He is as helpful as can be, responds promptly to emails, gets his orders in the mail quickly and the shipping time from India to North America is very short. And his prices are very, very good.

Check him out: Fountain Pen Revolution

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

As heineda and cjabbott have mentioned, his response to emails was very sluggish when I last dealt with him a good while ago. I've taken my business elsewhere. A fellow fpner in India has an online shop and I have bought a few pens from him. He is as helpful as can be, responds promptly to emails, gets his orders in the mail quickly and the shipping time from India to North America is very short. And his prices are very, very good.

Check him out: Fountain Pen Revolution

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

I can confirm that Kevin at FPR is great to deal with

I've bought more pens from Kevin than I care to admit! In fact, I e-mailed him about two Airmails earlier tonight. I cannot say enough good things!

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)