Recommendation For Custom Fauxdori Leather Cover?

TSherbs

I am looking to have a Midori-type leather cover made for me but in a size between the Passport and the Traveler's. Can anyone recommend an artisan here or on Etsy, etc? Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• thetraveler

• yogalarva

• gordonhooker

Make one yourself. It won't be as beautiful as one you'd buy, but it will exactly match your needs.

There are videos all over (sorry posting from my iPad, video links aren't working) on how to do it. But briefly:

It's just moderately thick leather. 3-4 oz leather is fine.

You only need a metal straight edge and a (sharp!) craft knife to cut the leather.

Cut it a bit taller in height and 1/2" wider (1"total" than the pad/notebook you want to put in. The reason you make it a lot wider is so you can use tabs

Punch the first hole for the elastic string about 1/4" away from the edge, the second hole about 1/2" from the first (towards the center).

The center hole goes, well, in the center.

You can punch the holes with a nail. Go from the outside in.

The elastic just weaves through the four outside holes. Where you tie it off is up to you

A quick tip: Make sure that the distance between the outside holes is a bit less than the length of your notebook. It makes the elastic stretch around the notebook just a little, which helps to hold it in place.

The bookmark string is just a string tied off somewhere. You get to pick where

Most of the materials you'll need can be found at a good size hobby store.

If you want a template then make one on your computer. Excel is great for this. Just make one big outlined box the size you want and print it (make sure you don't shrink the print size). Boom. Template.

Don't dye it. If you don't fix it properly the dye will rub off. Could be against something you like more.

Rough instructions. Try looking for Midori on you tube. Doing one isn't that hard. Doing many is. You're just doing one.

So go do it.

I believe fellow FPN member TeaHive makes some really nice covers from what I have seen in her posts.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Check out zenokleather on Etsy. I bought a Midori style leather cover to fit the Apica CD11 sized notebooks (A5 size). The cover holds up to four notebooks comfortably and does the job for me.

It is this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/206609044/leather-cover-for-midori-travelers-size?ref=shop_home_feat_2

Edited by Kelly G

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Thanks, Kelly. I ended up going with Buteo in California. Very helpful, beautiful leather, and many shapes and sizes available.

Mac, I will perhaps make my own another time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks, Kelly. I ended up going with Buteo in California. Very helpful, beautiful leather, and many shapes and sizes available.

Mac, I will perhaps make my own another time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Post a pic when you get it!

"I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health." ~ Orhan Pamuk

Renaissance Arts...Arthur makes beautiful leather journals...if you decide on getting another one.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to have a Midori-type leather cover made for me but in a size between the Passport and the Traveler's. Can anyone recommend an artisan here or on Etsy, etc? Thanks.

Hello TSherbs,

I have only ever bought 1 as I am new to the Fauxdori world, but the shop I purchased it from had customizable options. I am not sure if they make one in the size you are looking for but I had messaged them on ETSY and made some requests that were not part of the options they offered and they were happy to custom make one just for me. You may want to look into that, message them and see if they will make one specifically just for you.

The shop is at this link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PastimePresent?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Hope this helps,

If anyone has some advise for me on where I can look to find more stuff like this please let me know.

I see you mention that shop on ETSY, I tried finding it but couldn't. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe the shop I linked sells inserts, does the shop you bought from offer inserts as well? I'm looking to expand my collection.

:)

Edit: Nevermind, I guess I skimmed through the other posts too quickly. I found it! Silly me :P

Edited by thetraveler

I see you mention that shop on ETSY, I tried finding it but couldn't. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe the shop I linked sells inserts, does the shop you bought from offer inserts as well? I'm looking to expand my collection.

:)

Edit: Nevermind, I guess I skimmed through the other posts too quickly. I found it! Silly me :P

yup

ButeoBunker

She customized my cover and my inserts to an A6 size. Very accommodating, and well-made.

Check out the following list. They are all good options. I own Tough Old Boots, ZenKraft, and Chic Sparrow. They are all great alternatives to Midori.

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you like the Tough Old Boots? Most of the ones I see on facebook are the ones that have the extra wallet bits on the front and they are stuffed to the gills, but I'm thinking his covers might be good for housing a single notebook and some light wallet stuff.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

I have made a few now - I buy the leather and cut and stain to suit my needs. My latest was an A5 size to use with a diary and notepads for group I belong to. I was lucky I took the pattern from a Midori I own and then adjusted the dimensions to suit.

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς