Snail Mail For Language Learners?

mr dodo

I'd like to correspond with someone in French. I can read the equivalent of a Nancy Drew novel in French without much trouble (although it may be due in part to the predictable plot lines, ha) but when I write in French I tend to stick to the present verb tense. I'd be happy to write to someone else who is learning, especially if you're in the US, to save on postage. I tend to be a one-letter-a-month pen pal. Send me a message if you'd like to bumble through some bizarre postal conversation with me. :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr dodo

• minaa

• asnailmailer

• e-beth

I think this is a fantastic idea.

I am a high school student living in Canada. I enjoy watching several TV series, reading books, finding useless knowledge, and many other things.

I would like to learn Norwegian, but will also be willing to exchange letters in French. My Norwegian skill level is very low, and my French skill level is not exactly the best either (very limited vocabulary in both). If anyone would like to learn English, I would be more than willing to help with that.

Send me a message if you are interested. :)

I've been learning German for some time now (Level- B2) and can carry conversations in German. I recently started with French and Korean. I know some basic phrases and verbs in French and can read Hangeul (Korean alphabets) but can't understand the meaning. (Started last week).

Hindi is my native language so I can help people with that (and German). I like Music and Travel and Learning languages. I haven't done this before and not exactly a talker. But I thought writing would be different (and easier?) and give me another reason to use my pens.

Other than French I'm also interested in learning Danish(know the basics), Japanese and Dutch.

Unfortunately the only language I'm learning is English - and latin, although the focus is clearly on translation not on production and I have only recently begun learning it. Hopefully I'll get around to learn French and Spanish one day.

I'd be interested in exhanging some letters. By the way, my native language is German. Glad to help any of you out!

I often jest that I can read/speak Japanese about as well as a toddler. I can read the kana (but not kanji) and construct very rudimentary sentences. I have instructional software and books that I don't use.

But! If I had a penpal to whom I was trying to write coherent things only in Japanese, perhaps that might spur me to pick my independent study back up. So, I guess I am game.

• 5 weeks later...

I often jest that I can read/speak Japanese about as well as a toddler. I can read the kana (but not kanji) and construct very rudimentary sentences. I have instructional software and books that I don't use.

But! If I had a penpal to whom I was trying to write coherent things only in Japanese, perhaps that might spur me to pick my independent study back up. So, I guess I am game.

Sent you a PM about Japanese.

Well, I'm a native Hungarian speaker if everyone has an interest about it. As a newbie in Japanese, which I want to take the exam next year currently focusing for that. Also have some basic skills in Spanish and a kind of tourist level Turkish, since I barely used that in past decade, its a "bit" rusty... So here I am.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I was wondering if people currently learning or looking to practice a language that isn't their mother tongue would be interested in exchanging letters with people who want to practice that same language? Not only would it be a handy way to improve or maintain your language skills, but it's an excuse to whip out your favourite pens, papers and inks, knowing that the recipient will appreciate them.

If you're interested in this, please reply to this thread with:

-the languages that you want to practice, and a rough idea of your level (total novice,the level of a lower school student, the level of a high school student, near-fluent, fluent etc)

-a little bit about yourself and your interests (so people can find compatible pen-pals)

This is a very good idea, and deserves a much more active thread.

- my native language is German

- the only language I write well enough to practice in this context is English

- my interests can be found on my profile page

Okay, I used to have the Letter Writers Alliance and The Snail Mail Exchange in here. Somehow, my browsers settings and the forum's settings work together to prevent that from being the case at the moment. Whenever I try to update my signature, the whole process breakls down. So. Whatever.

I am a native French speaker but have been living in the US for many years. I don't have many opportunities to practice my French writing skills anymore, so they are definitely a bit rusty (though I do speak and read French regularly). I should also say that I am not a French teacher or tutor and that my grammar is probably far from perfect (I will try my best though).

I am a 41 year old guy, married, no kids, 2 cats. I have many interests: fountain pens, journaling, tea, whisky, hiking, food/cooking, vegetable gardening, home improvement projects, learning about others' traditions and culture, etc...

This sounds like terrible fun and I would love to partake.

I'm a U.S. born native Russian speaker.

Fluent in Russian

Fluent in English

Comfortable in Ukrainian

Probably advanced H.S. level French.

I would love to learn Spanish...

Interested in any kind of pen pal relationship to be honest, as long as I get to practice and play with my pens :D

Please feel free to message me I'd love to get to know someone here you guys are all awesome.

A...

“Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith! Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge!”

“I know it's not thematically in tune with my new job and all, but I find it effective. Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day," I say. "But set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Tao of Pratchett. I live by it.”

Sounds like a lot of fun! Count me in! :D

I can offer letters in Traditional Chinese(native speaker)

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu239/chingdamosaic/DSC_0110_zpsyj2cu5wv.jpg

I only just saw this thread this morning but last night I posted in the regular snail mail list and mentioned languages! I speak english and in the past have studied french, spanish, dutch and some mandarin chinese and thought it would be fun to include other languages in snail mail. I don't use any of the these languages currently. I also speak cantonese chinese, don't read or write, but am not fluent.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is, I have a trip planned to Rome and was looking to brush up on my italian. Instant immersion, actually any language would be cool too.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm new on the forum, I thought about starting something for foreign languages but I just found this one.

I'm in Montreal, speak French (native) and English, and I'm learning Italian(getting good) and Swedish(still a beginner). I'm a grad student and writer/critic, interested in Film, Philosophy, J.S. Bach, Literature.

If anyone is interested, I would love to write to you in any of those four languages either if you are a learner of the first two or interested in reading me in the later two, or would be happy to give you my address, read and answer you in any languages if you want to send me something.

Awaiting your PMs!

I can offer correspondence in German (native) and English (fairly decent), so I'd love to help you out in learning and using German while I usually write my letters in English. I also have very (!) rudimentary understanding of French, Dutch, and Latin.